• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Veteran: "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers."

Repeater

It Seems the Virginia DMV is causing problems for a Virginia veteran:

For second time, DMV denies ICUHAJI license plate
An Iraq war veteran's quest to recover personalized license plates that some Arab Americans found offensive is not over.

After a judge ruled in November that the Department of Motor Vehicles couldn't deny a tag on the grounds that it denigrated individuals of a particular nationality, the state has come up with a new reason to revoke Sean Bujno's ICUHAJI plate

In a letter from the DMV to Bujno, the agency said the tag - it can be read, "I see you, haji" - condones or encourages violence and is obscene or otherwise vulgar in nature.

In a Nov. 3, 2011, letter, DMV Commissioner Richard Holcomb said the tags violated a prohibition on letter combinations that could reasonably be interpreted as being "socially, racially, or ethically offensive or disparaging." He noted a bumper sticker on Bujno's car. It read: "God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers."

It gets worse:

Judge: Vet must appeal again for ICUHAJI plates
If an Iraq war veteran wants his ICUHAJI tags, he will have to start over with the Department of Motor Vehicles and file a second appeal.

It doesn’t matter that Circuit Judge John W. Brown previously ruled the DMV was wrong to revoke Sean Bujno’s personalized plates on the grounds that they denigrated individuals of a particular nationality – namely Arab Americans. During a hearing Wednesday, the judge noted that the DMV has come up with new reasons to deny the plates. He said state law requires Bujno to file new paperwork in response to the new decision.

The Administrative Process Act must be followed,” said Brown.

Assistant Attorney General Janet Westbrook countered the judge did not find all of the DMV’s guidelines for handling personalized plates were unconstitutional, only one.

“The DMV has done exactly what the court has asked them to do,” she said.

So, Cuccinelli is okay with defending the DMV? What about our veterans?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Given the guy's backround and advertisement about being a sniper, I cannot help but think he's making a deliberate message against certain Muslims.

His plate does not say ISAWHAJ. Nor, SCOPE1. Nor, 1MOAGUN. Etc. Its present tense, and aimed at a certain Muslim group. My immediate take-away is the guy is both a racist and threatening--there is no other reason to say "I see you" than to send a shiver or intimidate. Add, in the sniper bumper sticker, and were I Muslim, I'd be livid.

Imagine if you saw a plate that said ICVICKY, with an FBI bumper sticker, and it turned out the registered owner was Lon Horiuchi?

There are plenty of freedom-minded people in this country who consider that a lot of the opposition in Iraq and Afghanistan were simply trying to chase out the American invaders. I can't say I disagree with that assessment overly much. It seems pretty plausible, especially given the actions of the American government in both countries before and during hostilities. Add in local propaganda, and I have little trouble believing a lot those people fighting our young men viewed our young countrymen as hostile occupiers.

With all that said, I have little but contempt for a government that "sells" us "special" plates so we can personalize.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It Seems the Virginia DMV is causing problems for a Virginia veteran:

For second time, DMV denies ICUHAJI license plate

It gets worse:

Judge: Vet must appeal again for ICUHAJI plates

So, Cuccinelli is okay with defending the DMV? What about our veterans?

Cuccinelli didn't write the Administrative Procedures, he's only seeing they're followed. If there is a bad guy in this, it's the DMV.

Instead of hammering Cuccinelli about something as stupid as the lettering on a license plate, maybe we should concentrate some effort into fighting some of the Federal legislation that is a very real threat to our RKBA.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
My VA license plate was an NRA plate that said SHOOT. I'm surprised that one got approved.

Peter nap is right, Cuccinelli isn't at fault here and we do need to focus our energy at the federal level. I have meetings set-up with both of my U.S. Senators local offices within the next two weeks.

stickslinger

Cuccinelli didn't write the Administrative Procedures, he's only seeing they're followed. If there is a bad guy in this, it's the DMV.

Instead of hammering Cuccinelli about something as stupid as the lettering on a license plate, maybe we should concentrate some effort into fighting some of the Federal legislation that is a very real threat to our RKBA.

I was considering a plate that had "URST2PD" or "EMT4E" (read that in rear view mirror), but I'd rather not have some jack wagon in DMV tell me that his/her feelings are hurt by a license plate that they personally consider offensive.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was considering a plate that had "URST2PD" or "EMT4E" (read that in rear view mirror), but I'd rather not have some jack wagon in DMV tell me that his/her feelings are hurt by a license plate that they personally consider offensive.

They didn't object to my safe and sane BGSL:lol::lol:
Next one will be VBGSL:uhoh:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Since they could have argued different reasons for denying the plate the first time but did not then a summary judgement, if going to court is needed

Last edited:

PFC HALE

im still wondering why we arent all "americans" instead of "this american or that american"....

im american american damnit!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
im still wondering why we arent all "americans" instead of "this american or that american"....

im american american damnit!

There are people that live in America and there are Americans and it has nothing to do with where you were born.

Take three examples:

Saslaw who was born here and wants to destroy everything this country was founded on.

Goddard who was not born here and wants to turn this country into what he ran away from.

Scouser who was not born here but is more American than many I know that go back to the beginning.

So there is a difference. I'm not sure how that fits in this thread though.:uhoh: