• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG Abbotts Opinion on open carry

OC-Aviator

I know the AG has publically supported Open Carry of pistols in his gubernatorial run for office, and we can discuss licensed OC v. Pure OC another time. My question is, Does the Attorney General have an written opinion on Long Gun OC. And what I mean by opinion is has he given guidance to Law Enforcement on appropriate response and behavior of responding officers to a MWAG call. Beyond that has there been any guidance to County DA's on how to handle a case where OC of a rifle was the basis for an illegal detention. I could not find anything on the AG website. If anyone has any relevant information I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The latest proposal is HB 700 filed Thursday by state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, that would allow individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry weapons in plain view on a belt or shoulder holster.

Some officials in statewide offices have said they support “open carry” in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is floating the idea of a run for Governor next year, was quoted in support of the measure yesterday.
http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics...-latest-proposal-to-expand-gun-laws-in-texas/

Attorney General Greg Abbott has included a couple of gun-related proposals as part of a major policy paper released by his gubernatorial campaign. As spelled out in his “We the People” plan, Abbott would allow Texans to openly carry handguns and allow guns to be brought on college campuses.
http://kut.org/post/how-do-texas-republicans-gun-policies-compare-public-opinion

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I don't know of any written opinion on open carry of long guns.

I DO believe that when presented with issues such as some of the illegal arrests being made of long gun open carriers, he has expressed sympathy but taken no action. He, or at least his office, may have refused to take action when directly asked to take some action as well, not sure. I'm not sure exactly what he could do other than perhaps release an official opinion on the issue, which could probably help out actually. Perhaps others know more what he could do to help, or know more about whether or not he's been directly asked to do something and refused/declined.

rollingtrouble

I can tell you...

Abbott is nothing more than hot air on wheels period. Mean you think? Not really, as a crippled quadriplegic US Army veteran that's wheelchair bound, I can say it. He claims to be second amendment friendly by words only, but his actions speak totally different. I and others have been unlawfully arrested for legally carrying black powder pistols and yet he does nothing but pay lip service or totally ignores the law abiding citizens that ask for his help in these injustices. He is no more credible or honorable than a used car salesman from Yuma Arizona ( sorry if you're from AZ :) ) Like a vast majority of politicians he is worthless. He is not part of the solution, but part of the problem. He is in it for nothing but his own gain, he is not an honorable man.