• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West county St. Louis

USMCshane

So I open carried for the first time today in chesterfield and no one so much as batted an eye as I went about my business. Seemed like a victory to me personally, until I got home and my roommate told me that even though I could not find an ordinance after searching through the online database that it was considered by chesterfield police as a crime. Does anyone know how I am supposed to effectively get accurate information on how to tell which of these 50 different tiny townships in west county St. Louis allows or disallows our open carry rights? It seems as though these ordinances are hidden deeper than the arc of the covenant and the local police are less than helpful.

Last edited:

STLDaniel

With a CCW permit, OC is preempted statewide, so it wouldn't matter and is legal. If you want to OC without a CCW permit, you'll need to check the laws of each city. Chesterfield prohibits carrying unless you have taken hunter education. They also prohibit carrying on someone else's property without their written consent. Both were put in place for hunting but worded as such that it would apply to general OC. Id recommend just getting a CCW permit so you don't have to worry about city lines.

http://www.ecode360.com/29230249?highlight=firearms,firearm

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

USMCshane

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to leave the gun at home when out and about until I can afford to get my ccw. Seems unfortunate to me that my right to self defense takes a backseat to the comfort of the sheep.

STLDaniel

Can the city disallow both OC and CC in their buildings?

One fight at a time ;) But sort of... Without a CCW permit, they can ban OC, and CC would be illegal anyway. With a CCW permit, based on the above mention (6) gun free zone, yes they can restrict CC in there buildings. In that case OC would be determined by the Zoo case as whether CC restrictions apply equally to OC. (Although unlike the Zoo case, they actually would fall under a specified gun free zone, not twisted into one).

OC for ME

RSMo 571.107.1. - No concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, valid concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(1). Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol office or station without the consent of the chief law enforcement officer in charge of that office or station. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the office or station shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
Note the discrepancy in the wording.

This is the wording used through out the RSMo.