• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding Muzzle loading pistol registration

tygereye

If a muzzle loading pistol kit was purchased, will the pistol have to be registered once assembled? Is there any loop hole with it being a muzzle loading pistol that will keep it from needing to be registered? When transporting this same pistol, what would the differences be, (if any) to a non muzzle loading pistol? I would appreciate if information is accompanied by a cite. Thanks!

Michigander

Muzzle loaders don't have to be registered, and according to federal law aren't even regulated as firearms. They can be ordered from a catalog and shipped to your door in most states, I believe including this one.

Most carry laws still apply however, and because of the fact they aren't registered, they aren't "licensed" to be carried in federal school zones, so you have to factor that in without a CPL.

lil_freak_66

Muzzle loaders don't have to be registered, and according to federal law aren't even regulated as firearms. They can be ordered from a catalog and shipped to your door in most states, I believe including this one.

Most carry laws still apply however, and because of the fact they aren't registered, they aren't "licensed" to be carried in federal school zones, so you have to factor that in without a CPL.

If they are not considered a firearm,how could they be enforced under the school zone thing?

warrior1978

Just for clarification, muzzleloading firearms are not firearms under federal law however they are firearms under Michigan law.

MCL 28.421
"Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
MCL 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale
of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation
during business hours.

Sec. 2...
(7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.