• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back up guns?

irish52084

I never really considered carrying a BUG, but a recent conversation got me thinking about it and I might give it a try.

The closest thing to a BUG for me is my CZ82 right now, but it's a bit large and heavy for BUG duty. Any suggestions for a smaller, lighter option? I'd like to keep the caliber at a 9mm minimum, but if it has to be a 380, 9x18 etc... then that's ok I guess.

Off the top of my head, here is my list:
snub nose revolver, so many models I won't even try to list them.
kel tec p3at
Seecamp .380
kahr MK series
ruger lcp or lcr

jeeper1

I have a Keltec P3AT. It's a nice pistol but the trigger pull is heavy since you are cocking the mainspring. I don't bother with a bug so I don't shoot it anymore.

JoeGlock40

i got a keltec p11 its a 9mm...its anice BUG but the trigger sucks bad, but after awhile you can learn to control it pretty good.. but its a BUG not a 25 yard 2 inch group kinda gun, its for touching distance really. i keep it as my BUG while my main gun is my glock 22 with CT lasergrips. id recommend a glock 26 or 27 as a good BUG there small but handle good and hold a good amount of ammo and have a great trigger and are highly reliable

jeeper1

I thought I'd throw this picture in the works because it shows the difference in sizes. From top left going clockwise. P11, CZ82, Taurus85 and P3AT.
P_11-CZ_82-Taurus_85-P3AT.jpg

usamarshal

Oh yea, I'd suggest getting one that was made in France or W Germany if you do decide on a ppk/s...the ones made in America are ****.

jeeper1

Regarding the Taurus 85, it is an accurate (for it's purpose) reliable and well made. That one is wearing Crimson Trace grips. The only problem with the Taurus is Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa holster for it.
Three of those firearms I have carried for concealed carry. The CZ82 (I never carried this one) is the first of two I bought for plinking :)D I liked it so much I bought a second :D).

MITCH

I never really considered carrying a BUG, but a recent conversation got me thinking about it and I might give it a try.

The closest thing to a BUG for me is my CZ82 right now, but it's a bit large and heavy for BUG duty. Any suggestions for a smaller, lighter option? I'd like to keep the caliber at a 9mm minimum, but if it has to be a 380, 9x18 etc... then that's ok I guess.

Off the top of my head, here is my list:
snub nose revolver, so many models I won't even try to list them.
kel tec p3at
Seecamp .380
kahr MK series
ruger lcp or lcr

Since you already have a CZ in 9mm, have you considered the CZ Rami in 9? I have the both the 75B and the Rami and must say they have among the best of the 40 or so handguns I have owned. Ahhhh, I owned them before the ship went down with all guns aboard.
Mitch

irish52084

I spaced on the rami, one of the local gun shops had one in the case about a month ago, maybe I can give it a fondle. I love my CZ's, I wouldn't bat an eye at buying another.

How bout the para warthog? Any first hand experience? I didn't have much success with 3" 1911's a few years back, but they seem to be getting more popular. I found them to be very unforgiving to less than a perfect grip and subsequently had some stovepipe, FTF and FTE malfunctions.

Badger Johnson

I'm starting to think it's pretty important to carry a BUG, also.

Think about sky-diving. Would they consider the reserve chute 'optional'? No way. Likewise, in life or death scenarios, consider that your primary could go inoperable for a thousand different reasons - all of them pretty much 'Murphy's Law' types of things. It is a very rare and unexpected, but virtually anyone who uses HGs has had an unexpected 'problem'. Given there are so many ways, and given that the chance both guns would go inoperable simultaneously to be almost nil, it makes sense to carry two.

A lot of times we just pick a formerly used smaller gun for BUG because it's available. It now makes sense to get a pocket gun (LCP, KT-p3at, small revolver) just for the express purpose of BUG ensuring that it IS a HG we can and will EDC.

When all factors are equal, it's the HG you will carry and the one you shoot the best (.380 or above) that you should be training and carrying.

$.02

45acpForMe

... Personally, I carry a Glock 21sf for my BUG.
:shocker:

I have long carried BUG's. I used to carry a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro 10+1 45acp thumb safety until I started having feeding problems. I switched to a Sig Sauer P220 Compact SAS Gen2 with SRT and night sights. I strongly considered a Kahr P45 or PM45 but decided to standardize on Sigs since I had others. (holsters, mags)

Since my round count dropped from 10+1 to 6+1 I usually carry a spare magazine. The Compact P220 will take the longer 8+1 mags of regular P220's. I can fit it (in a holster) inside front pockets of jeans but it prints badly. Usually I am wearing cargo shorts so it fits nicely in the front pocket of them.

My daughter has started shooting 45acp so in a bad situation I could give my BUG to her and we would both be able to defend ourselves.

I also have a Kahr MK40 which I like and got a crimson trace laser for. It is a bit heavy and has a long trigger pull. They weight helps with the recoil but 40S&W is snappy. It is thinner than my Sig so it conceals better so when I go to FL it usually comes with.

I picked up a Kahr P380 and like it alot since it is easy to shoot. I got it for my youngest to practice with and she did well with it but still prefer's her 22 Walther. I don't like the caliber but admit it is small and conceals well. My smallist gun is a NAA 32acp which I only use as a deep CC gun since it hurts to shoot. :-(

You could check out the Kahr PM9 if you wanted to stay with 9mm. I prefer 45acp hence my user name.

DevinWKuska

Hmm all the above choices are good but perphaps take a look at some wheel guns? I mean BUG IMO is for when your primary sidearm fails right?

What about like Charter Arms Undercover lite?
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_53864.html

Or the space age designed Rhino?
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/725

Either way a 2"barreled revolver makes a great small BUG. .38 and .357 are decent calibers to have for self defense. In cases like the Rhino(.357) muzzle flip is minimal.

irish52084

Ok, that undercover lite from charter arms looks like a winner. The weight is only 12 oz and the price is nice at about $400 msrp. What kind of a rep does charter arms have for fit, finish and quality?

DevinWKuska

Ok, that undercover lite from charter arms looks like a winner. The weight is only 12 oz and the price is nice at about $400 msrp. What kind of a rep does charter arms have for fit, finish and quality?

Well if you look around online seems to be about 50/50. Most of the negative reviews seem to be from 75-83 models. The newer ones the only issue I have read is the cylinder being loose(something I would think you would check before buying), and some complain that a few of the screws need a tad of locktight if your gonna go shoot 400 rounds in a day. Personally I put locktight on just about every screw on all my guns anyways. Might be overkill, but when your dealing with a mechanism that operates based on exposives... better safe then sorry. I suppose just take a look at one and use common sense is all I have to say. But keep in mind with the weight being 12oz it prolly has some muzzle flip.

To me for the price and weight, a few easily fixable glitches(if it in fact has them, as some report no issues at all) is still a heck of a bargain. But then again most people post reviews toward the negative side anyways. Charter arms has an un-conditional lifetime warranty(not just for original owner either), so if anything goes wrong you have that to fall back on.

BTW the link is of the exact coloring(they have a few schemes to choose from) my wife just got, and picked it up for $339 + tax. Its not expensive, but why would you pay $1,OOO for a BUG anyways?

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

When carrying a BUG what is most ideal from a tactical point of view? Do you carry the BUG so that you draw it with your dominant hand or non-dominant hand; concealed or openly? Why?

tcmech

I used to think carrying a bug was a bit of overkill, but I have since had a change of heart.

I occasionally carry a taurus 85 ultralight in my left hand pocket in a galco pocket holster. I am right handed and open carry on the right hip, but I do practice with the weak hand and I find that when I conceal carry I am still using the taurus in my left pocket since I have come to feel comfortable with it there.

If you are carrying one gun openly I would strongly suggest carrying the bug for the weak hand. Just practice with whatever you are carrying.