• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Ohio Attorney General Handbook recognizes "Open Carry"

strabo40

I have a non-resident concealed permit from Arizona, so according to this pamphlet, it looks like I can OC in Ohio. Is this correct or did I miss something?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have a non-resident concealed permit from Arizona, so according to this pamphlet, it looks like I can OC in Ohio. Is this correct or did I miss something?

Open carry is an Ohio Constitutional right, residency and licensing has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Kudos to Ohio's Attorney General for making this most important declaration in the manual! :banana:

Now, if Mississippi would only follow suit and put something out there in
black and white, instead of the vague wording of her firearms laws / regulations / etc.

Last edited:

Keith-

Still confused

I am confused with the open carry law. I just read at http://opencarry.org/oh.html:

"Open Car Carry---Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license." IS this a CCW permit or a different permit?

I guess I have two options if I want to open carry, since where I live you have to drive to get anywhere.

1. Spend money on the CCW class and then for the permit to carry the gun inside the car as an open carry.

2. Or secure it in the trunk while I drive. But the stores all have the no gun sign so I can't take it with me in the store where there is a chance of a robbery. If I don't have the CCW then it has to stay locked up in the trunk while I drive. So now I can't even keep it ready to go, on my hip. How am I supposed to defend myself against a robber if the stores keep the no guns signs posted?

What am I missing here? I doubt I would need the gun as much while driving because I watch where I drive and I think it would be harder for someone to do something to me while I am driving down the road.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You cannot have a loaded gun in your car without a CCL, period. There is no restriction on keeping your gun covered or in the open when carrying in a car, but it only applies to CCL holders.