• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and with basic questions about open carry under 18

eringdf

Hello!
I'm 18 years old, have no gun or anything yet, but I would love to learn as it is a valuable skill. I've gotten conflicting information about open carry in NC. I can carry open but I can only buy from private, right? Is it worth OC under 21 before I can get CC? Could i get in any more trouble under 21 for carrying if an knowledgeable person tries to call me out? I want to carry because it is my right and it is good to know, not because it's cool or anything stupid. Any thoughts or advice on OC under 18?

chiefjason

There are several posts on here about carrying between 18-21. Look through some of the older pages and see if you can find them. The hardest part seems to be getting a PPP from the sheriff. You still need one even to buy privately, which is your only option till 21. You might get some hassle being under 21, but I can't think of anything to get you into more trouble. Some LEO's just don't understand that you can possess and carry a handgun under 21.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Welcome to OCDO Eringdf,

You are correct. You can only carry openly and can buy a handgun from a private seller but not a dealer at your age. If you are going to carry under 21 I reccomend keeping the laws concerning carrying at that age with you. I personally keep a updated binder with all NC law and case law that I could find with me in my truck. Also I reccomend carrying a voice recorder with you at all times that you carry.

Secondly, why would you be concerned about anybody calling you out for something that is perfectly legal? Study the laws thoroughly, pay attention to gun-buster signs at the front of stores, keep the firearm visible on the passenger seat while driving and you'll do fine.

eringdf

Thank you! I had looked for under 21 and I found a few but they didn't answer all my questions. I have the same question about why I couldn't keep the gun holstered, and also if I go somewhere and realize that I can't OC in the building I'm going to, I can keep the gun locked up in my car with an OC permit, right?

Also, what are the pros and cons of single action vs. double action? If I get a gun, I'm thinking of something I can also CC when I turn 21, but I don't want any pocket pistol that wouldn't be effective. I'm thinking maybe .45?

muccione

The gun can be Borrowed too. So if you can't get a PPP than you can "borrow" one. Like your fathers or anybody's. I would recommend taking some NRA first steps programs too. This is a VERY serious thing you are wanting to do. Do the wrong thing and it can change your whole life.
If I carried when I was that age several people lives would be different. There is no way I was ready at 18. But everybody is different.
Good luck and be SAFE and in control

eringdf

Definitely understand, and thank you. I am not exactly the most imposing person - ~115 lb girl, and it would be more for self defense purposes. I am not a violent person or anything like that, but I do think it is worthwhile to learn proper and safe gunman-ship.

If I borrowed, and did have to act in self-defense, could the official owner of the gun get in trouble in any way for letting me borrow? And I would definitely take classes or something so i know what I'm doing. A fool with good intentions and a gun can be more dangerous than an ill-intentioned person without one.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
eringdf, you sound wiser and more level-headed than some folks twice your age. Ask all the questions you want. Find the answers and then make sure you're confident in your knowledge. You won't be able to carry comfortably if you're not comfortable with your own knowledge of the laws.

Your question about a 3rd party's liability if they were to loan you a handgun is a good question. I'm not sure that anyone but an attorney can give you good advice on that one.

eringdf

Thank you!! and thank you for the note about the attorney - I think that's what makes me nervous. I'd much rather get a PPP if possible and have it under my name to avoid any legal confusion.

I thought I'd put my remaining questions so far together to make them easier for anybody who wants to answer:

- Can I lock my OC in my car if I go somewhere I can't take the gun into?
- Pros and cons of single action vs. double action?
- If I get a gun, I'm thinking of something I can also CC when I turn 21, but I don't want any pocket pistol that wouldn't be effective. I'm thinking maybe .45? Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help so far!!

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
  1. Some places of employment have a ban on handguns that extends to their parking lot. Owners fear the liability or have been told that insurance rates will be higher if they allow firearms on premises.
  2. Some handguns are double action only (DAO). Some handguns are DA/SA where a chambered round can be fired with the hammer down by pulling the trigger in DA mode; subsequent rounds are then in SA mode. Some people prefer the deliberate effort required to use a DAO pistol because they believe that it reduces the potential for negligent discharges (ND). I happen to be in the other camp and believe that mastering the mechanics of safe firearm handling means keeping one's finger off the dang trigger. A trigger is a machine and it does its job every time someone pulls the trigger, whether the person meant to or not.
  3. Some people are perfectly comfortable carrying a 1911 or some other form of .45ACP pistol. Many people feel a pistol chambered for .45ACP is too big and bulky for CC. My personal belief is that each person should bring the biggest and baddest hardware to the fight that they feel comfortable carrying EVERY DAY. If you aren't comfortable carrying your handgun EVERY DAY, then the one day you decide to go without it will be the one day you need it. Murphy strikes again!

eringdf

With 1, let's say I have to go to work at a mall in the Triangle. i can't take my gun in to work with me, but if the gun would be allowed OC in the mall, is it legal for for me to keep the gun locked away in the parking lot without a CHP? I feel like it would be dumb to have to return home and drop off my weapon if I get somewhere and realize I can't take it inside, and would be less safe as well. I also would never feel comfortable leaving it open in the car, of course.

2 - dumbing it down for my little amateur brain, double action requires an extra step, but thats the only difference, right? So it doesn't really matter as long as you know what you're doing?

3 - what is the smallest you would consider formiddable enough to be worthwhile? pocket handguns are pathetic and I agree I want the largest thing I can carry...would a .38 be ok in your opinion or is that borderline? I'm pretty petite but if I try a .45 and I am comfortable with it, I would like to go with that. Is CC a big deal with that size, should I get a CHP in the future?

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
eringdf --
  1. Yes, you can lock your handgun up in your vehicle. You can get a locking box from GunVault to do just that. I bought a Nano Vault 300 and like it.
  2. DA makes the trigger pull longer, harder and more deliberate. For lots of people who aren't used to it, the transition from DA to SA can throw off their aim. I like the standard trigger on a Glock, but not everyone does.
  3. I recently took a self-defense handgun class from John Farnam of DTI. His motto was that if the first number doesn't start with a "4", it's too small. He was being a little bit facetious, but when being fully serious his point was that a shooter should carry the biggest round they can shoot effectively and should carry a gun that holds as many rounds as possible in the magazine. Until you hold the handgun in your own hands and wear it in a holster on your own body, you really don't get a good sense of the bulk or weight of the gun and how it will affect you (and your wardrobe for CC). A petite young lady has made a series of Youtube videos about that very subject and you probably ought to watch them to get a woman's perspective on CC.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
why cant he just leave it holstered?

Some leos may try to pin him with cc under 21 if the firearm isn't on the passenger seat where it can be seen in three directions. I know, it's stupid, and the safest place for your firearm is in the holster but it is what it is. I'm sure some of us carry in our holster in the car anyway, but it is a big risk of being charged. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my firearm bouncing around my cab like a baseball if I ever wreck my truck.

Carry24/7

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I'd say find someone with different cal. of guns and shoot them all to see what you can handle. If you can put 6 shots of a 380 in someones face I'm sure that's enough to mess up their day but if you can't hit the side of a barn once with a 9mm what good is it doing you. I hate that people say you can't carry anything under a certain cal. Carry the largest cal you can shoot and put on target. I can shoot 10 rounds of 22 in no time. I myself carry a 40 most of the time but do carry a 45 or a 10mm on occasion.

Practice Practice and more Practice will get you comfortable with whatever cal. you carry.

CDT COX

I'm 19( and single:) ) and open carry no problem. I haven't been able to get a purchase permit from my sheriff so for now, my hand gun is on loan from my dad. No LEO has ever givin me trouble.

Dogbait

I'm 19( and single:) ) and open carry no problem. I haven't been able to get a purchase permit from my sheriff so for now, my hand gun is on loan from my dad. No LEO has ever givin me trouble.

Smooth. :lol:

Last edited:

eringdf

I have looked at her videos - they're great! Thank you so much for all your advice.

I am worried about a gun bouncing around in the car open on the seat...I'd feel much more comfortable with it secured. And a negative on the pictures haha. I don't put personal stuff on the internet like that. I'm sure someone selling holsters and handguns will be able to help me. :)

Thank you for the cornered cat website that looks like a great resource from what I've seen so far and I'll definitely spend more time there!

Carry24 that sounds like quality advice too. I don't know anybody with a bunch of handguns but maybe I can go to a shooting range, get the intro lessons or whatever, and then rent a few until I find out what I like? I'm hoping .40 or .45 will work well for me.

CDT - good to know you haven't had any problems! That's definitely encouraging.

Thanks to everyone for all your help! This forum is a wonderful resource.

ArmySoldier22

I have looked at her videos - they're great! Thank you so much for all your advice.

I am worried about a gun bouncing around in the car open on the seat...I'd feel much more comfortable with it secured. And a negative on the pictures haha. I don't put personal stuff on the internet like that. I'm sure someone selling holsters and handguns will be able to help me. :)

Thank you for the cornered cat website that looks like a great resource from what I've seen so far and I'll definitely spend more time there!

Carry24 that sounds like quality advice too. I don't know anybody with a bunch of handguns but maybe I can go to a shooting range, get the intro lessons or whatever, and then rent a few until I find out what I like? I'm hoping .40 or .45 will work well for me.

CDT - good to know you haven't had any problems! That's definitely encouraging.

Thanks to everyone for all your help! This forum is a wonderful resource.

Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near the Concord/Charlotte area, there's a meet on the 3rd and they'll be going to the range. It's a good bunch of people, and maybe if you talk to them, you might possibly talk a few into letting you try out theirs lol.

CDT - Lol, good try there. I think you should take a look at this :p http://www.ebay.com/itm/260897403238?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited: