• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Texas.

NHCGRPR45

Hello, I am coming to your state for work for a few months and have some questions.

1. what does redily discernable mean? Is it the same as printing?
2. will i have to qualify with my preffered sidearm?
3. How long would I be able to stay and work in texas without having to get a TX DL and CHL?
4. And is OC legal on my own property?

Well thats a start! Thank you!

pooley

Hello, I am coming to your state for work for a few months and have some questions.

1. what does redily discernable mean? Is it the same as printing?
2. will i have to qualify with my preffered sidearm?
3. How long would I be able to stay and work in texas without having to get a TX DL and CHL?
4. And is OC legal on my own property?

Well thats a start! Thank you!

1: Printing isn't necessarily illegal, but it will definitely cause you to be hassled by most LE. (good judgement would suggest avoiding it if at all possible)

2: You may qualify with any non-rimfire semi-auto and be qualified to carry any handgun (including rimfire). If you qualify with a revolver you may only carry revolvers. The specific make/model do not matter & aren't even recorded. (NOTE: you must use factory ammunition, no reloads)

3: If an LEO asks just tell him you've only been in TX a couple of months. He won't call your boss to verify.

4: You may legally carry, open or concealed, without any license on any property under your control. You may also have a handgun concealed in a vehicle or watercraft without a license.

Oh, and welcome to Texas! You picked a great time of year, it isn't 115 degrees in the shade just yet.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

1: Printing isn't necessarily illegal, but it will definitely cause you to be hassled by most LE. (good judgement would suggest avoiding it if at all possible)

2: You may qualify with any non-rimfire semi-auto and be qualified to carry any handgun (including rimfire). If you qualify with a revolver you may only carry revolvers. The specific make/model do not matter & aren't even recorded. (NOTE: you must use factory ammunition, no reloads)

3: If an LEO asks just tell him you've only been in TX a couple of months. He won't call your boss to verify.

4: You may legally carry, open or concealed, without any license on any property under your control. You may also have a handgun concealed in a vehicle or watercraft without a license.

Oh, and welcome to Texas! You picked a great time of year, it isn't 115 degrees in the shade just yet.

Ok, and I am looking forward to it! So I have no plans to transfer my DL and MI CPL do I still have to qualify to carry my Sig 226 or would the Texas required training only apply to a person seeking a an actual Texas CHL? I could get a Non-resident Texas license and am actually planning on that because I will be making frequent trips from Texas to Michigan.

Also can I qualify with both a revolver and a semi-auto and carry one of each or do I have to choose one type or the other? Revolver or semi-auto?

pooley

Ok, and I am looking forward to it! So I have no plans to transfer my DL and MI CPL do I still have to qualify to carry my Sig 226 or would the Texas required training only apply to a person seeking a an actual Texas CHL? I could get a Non-resident Texas license and am actually planning on that because I will be making frequent trips from Texas to Michigan.

Also can I qualify with both a revolver and a semi-auto and carry one of each or do I have to choose one type or the other? Revolver or semi-auto?

If you're qualified in whichever state issued your license to carry a semi-auto handgun then you may carry semi-auto or revolver without any further qualification. Texas breaks it down like this, if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver, but if you qualify with a semi-auto you can carry any type/design/model of handgun, providing it's lawful to purchase/own (I don't think any of the full-auto Glocks are transferrable...)

If you do get a non-resident license, you'll only qualify once. Do it with a semi-auto and you'll be licensed to carry semi-auto and revolver. There's no limit either, if you find a way to conceal 36 handguns you can legally carry 36 handguns.

I just looked it up & TX does recognize Michigan's license, by the way.

As for the DL & carry license, as long as you're still a legal resident of MI I wouldn't worry about it. If you do chose to get a non-resident CHL I'd still recommend it come from AZ. It's cheaper, recognized by more states & there are instructors in TX who can do your training for the AZ license.

OldCurlyWolf

Can I OC a long gun in Texas parks? and forests?? I like to spend my free time in the outdoors and have always been able to be armed while doing so.

The short answer is NO!!!!!. OC is not legal in Texas except under very limited circumstances. In a Park is not one of those circumstances.

Currently the only absolutely legal place to OC is on your own property or property under your control. Do not try it anywhere else.:cool:

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
If you're qualified in whichever state issued your license to carry a semi-auto handgun then you may carry semi-auto or revolver without any further qualification. Texas breaks it down like this, if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver, but if you qualify with a semi-auto you can carry any type/design/model of handgun, providing it's lawful to purchase/own (I don't think any of the full-auto Glocks are transferrable...)

If you do get a non-resident license, you'll only qualify once. Do it with a semi-auto and you'll be licensed to carry semi-auto and revolver. There's no limit either, if you find a way to conceal 36 handguns you can legally carry 36 handguns.

I just looked it up & TX does recognize Michigan's license, by the way.

As for the DL & carry license, as long as you're still a legal resident of MI I wouldn't worry about it. If you do chose to get a non-resident CHL I'd still recommend it come from AZ. It's cheaper, recognized by more states & there are instructors in TX who can do your training for the AZ license.

Actually, your MI CPL does qualify for the training requirements for AZ. They will take any current or expired CCW permit as requirement for quals. I used my MI and FL CPL/CWFL to qualify for my AZ CWP and yeah, from what ive read its hella cheaper than the TX CHL. AZ is 60 and is good for 5 years.

NHCGRPR45

So long gun OC in parks would be ok? I have been going over the law and thought this indeed be acceptable. Am I wrong? and please only people from the state of Texas reply I do appreciate all responses but I have found that people who live in the state that the question is about have the best answers. Again thank you!

()pen(arry

So long gun OC in parks would be ok? I have been going over the law and thought this indeed be acceptable. Am I wrong? and please only people from the state of Texas reply I do appreciate all responses but I have found that people who live in the state that the question is about have the best answers. Again thank you!

Let's make something clear, again: that something seems, to some reader of statute, to be legal does not mean they can't or won't be arrested for it. We've tried to explain this. I'll make it as clear as I can, and then I give up.

In Texas, there is no law prohibiting the open carry of long guns in public, in general. In Texas, there are numerous laws that prohibit disturbance of the peace, menacing of the public, disorderly conduct, public nuisance, etc. Any and all of these will be thrown at you if you carry a long gun in public. Let me say that another way: if you open carry a long gun in public in Texas, you will* be arrested and charged with crimes. It does not matter what is or is not legal.

Are you prepared to spend time in jail and money on criminal defense?

* There are always theoretical places and times where you could get away with it, either by not being seen, or by being in some remote town that doesn't care, or by being in the act of sporting with the long gun in an appropriate location. You're trying to get a clear answer, so I'm giving you a clear one.

CrimsonSoul

I work at a railroad at one of the various chemical refineries around Houston, last summer on the rail it was 140 degrees

NHCGRPR45

Not any place like that, just when I am out backpacking and hikiing. I like to do long excursions, 2 TO 3 days usually by myself, and since the murder capital of mexico is just across the river I feel it prudent to have a last resort way out of getting killed or worse. "Fail to plan, plan to fail!"

drjoker

OC legal in Texas only if....

Not any place like that, just when I am out backpacking and hikiing. I like to do long excursions, 2 TO 3 days usually by myself, and since the murder capital of mexico is just across the river I feel it prudent to have a last resort way out of getting killed or worse. "Fail to plan, plan to fail!"

It IS legal to OC in Texas in wilderness areas only if you're hunting and you may only use calibers appropriate for hunting. That means, outside of deer season, you'll only be able to carry a .22 or .22 magnum revolver since that is the only caliber that is reasonable to take game that has no closed season such as rabbits and squirrel. A Texas hunting and fishing license is cheap and if you're camping/hiking, adding hunting and fishing to that would only make it more fun. Welcome to Texas!

A rifle is legal to OC, too, but if you're trying to keep your pack light, then a .22 is indispensible.

KBCraig

It IS legal to OC in Texas in wilderness areas only if you're hunting and you may only use calibers appropriate for hunting. That means, outside of deer season, you'll only be able to carry a .22 or .22 magnum revolver since that is the only caliber that is reasonable to take game that has no closed season such as rabbits and squirrel.

You are just full of misinformation, aren't you?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/means/

Nongame Animals (Non-Protected): Any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun is legal.

Hogs and coyotes are two perfect examples of non-game, non-protected animals that can be hunted 24/7/365 with any lawful firearm, and they're found in every area of the state.

Please, stop giving inaccurate answers.