• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A crack in the dam for gunowners

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A crack in the dam for Va. gunowners

VAC has been a constant pain in the backsides for gunowners as well as Rural Lobbyists for a long time.

Looks like the shine is starting to wear off now. We should all keep a close eye on them for more member dissatisfaction.

Not Gun Related but a big pat on the back for Goochland's decision to break with them! It shows they're paying attention to their citizens.

The Goochland County Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 at their August 7, 2012 regular board meeting to resign from Virginia Association of Counties (VACo) and National Association of Counties (NACo) effective immediately.

The reasons they cited are:

• The legislative lobbying efforts of VACo do not match the Board's objectives. A specific, current example is the eminent domain referendum that will be on the November ballot. VACo is actively lobbying against this constitutional amendment which passed twice in the General Assembly with bi-partisan support. The Board supports the amendment and private property rights.

• VACo dues are collected from each locality based on their population size. This puts smaller, rural counties at a disadvantage within the organization as legislative decisions are weighted toward larger counties that pay much higher dues.

• The county pays over $5,000 in annual dues to both organizations combined and, in the past, has paid thousands of dollars for supervisors to attend out-of-town meetings and conferences (Remember the VACo supervisor meeting in Hawaii a few years ago?). The Board does not feel that membership brings enough value to the county to warrant this expenditure of funds.

Last edited:

67GT390FB

VAC has been a constant pain in the backsides for gunowners as well as Rural Lobbyists for a long time.

Looks like the shine is starting to wear off now. We should all keep a close eye on them for more member dissatisfaction.

Not Gun Related but a big pat on the back for Goochland's decision to break with them! It shows they're paying attention to their citizens.

These are the types of things that were the impetus behind voting this bunch in last year. we pretty much replaced the entire board and so far they have done nothing to disappoint. I personally wish they would replace current Goochland(and former City of Richmond) county attorney Norman Sales as i am sure the city anti gun fervor has not washed off yet as seen by his attempt at a noise ordinance last year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
These are the types of things that were the impetus behind voting this bunch in last year. we pretty much replaced the entire board and so far they have done nothing to disappoint. I personally wish they would replace current Goochland(and former City of Richmond) county attorney Norman Sales as i am sure the city anti gun fervor has not washed off yet as seen by his attempt at a noise ordinance last year.

I think I've said this before Joe, but you all did a great job throwing the bastards out!

Now, if we can get the rest of the state to follow your lead...........

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know your grandma said, "A new broom sweeps clean." The old one might have too, if someone had used it for its design purpose. :rolleyes:

I see this as a positive thing for RKBA which makes it directly apropos for this forum - these are the same representatives that either propose, pass, or not these sometimes funny, sometimes egregious, always unwanted gun laws that we have been seeing lately.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know your grandma said, "A new broom sweeps clean." The old one might have too, if someone had used it for its design purpose. :rolleyes:

I see this as a positive thing for RKBA which makes it directly apropos for this forum - these are the same representatives that either propose, pass, or not these sometimes funny, sometimes egregious, always unwanted gun laws that we have been seeing lately.

It goes a little deeper than that Grape. The VAC opposes firearms possession on County property, opposed the parking lot bill last year and carries some weight.

The real point of this post is that this is a blow to them which is a good thing for us.

Docgmt

Vac

I sent my Goochland supervisor an email of congrats for leaving vac sounds like she got about 12 emails on the subject. My fellow citizens are ignorant on the many forces in place to crush their rights vac is another on the list.