• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Illinois

devildog24

Best move you could make would be to move to a different state. ISP recomends you carry car keys, rat -tail combs, or tongue depressors for self-defense.

ccwinva

You have time to get your permit

Hey everyone, I'll be moving (back) to Illinois at the beginning of next year. I'm military, so that's the reason. I've been in Virginia for the last 5 years and have been carrying my pistol open for the last half a year or more. I have a few questions for when i move to Illinois. I am aware of the FOID card and how that works, I've heard that if you are not a resident of Illinois that any CCW permit counts as your FOID when in the state. I don't know how true this is and if that also works for active duty military that get stationed in Illinois. To summarize, should i send all my firearms home to my parents in Texas before i move to Illinois and then get my FOID card before bringing in my guns, or can i just bring them all since i have a Virginia CCW permit.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this!

Openlyaware

(edit) Also i want to mention that i am aware that i will not be able to carry in any way outside of my home/dwelling while in the state.

Refer to the Illinois List of Compiled Statutes:
PUBLIC SAFETY
(430 ILCS 65/) Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.
(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...tName=Firearm+Owners+Identification+Card+Act.