• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical awareness.

Sorcice

I realize this has come up before. But I wanted to get a little more specific. We should all practice situational/tactical awareness whether we carry or not but in the case I'm currently witnessing at 4am at a Perkins I'm a bit disturbed. I generally sit in a corner of the room with views of the doors and bathroom door. The idea being if something were to happen I could potentially see precursors or at least not have a surprise from behind while I'm scarfing whatever happens to be on the table. Anyway, back on point. This particular Perkins is patrolled by JBM security. The guard just came in for food, sat at the first booth available with her back to the front door and reading with her face turned in toward the booth. I used to work in security and they trained us in tactical situational/awareness. Do companies not do that anymore? Maybe this is just bad/no training?? I also noticed the only thing this guard has to defend herself is OC spray. Sigh. I know other guards from her company carry so maybe personal choice?? Well I hope she never has to deal with an armed assailant.

-Sorcice

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
A company I have worked for does not like having officers armed with firearms. They would only let us carry when a client demanded that we should be armed and only after the company failed to talk the client out of the idea. It could be a personal choice but I have my doubts.

Most of the guards I know are not training to do anything other than to be seen by the public. Depending on my mood I would have approached the guard and pointed out that I was able to get within striking distance of before they noticed me. Telling someone they should pay attention doesn't work most of the time. Gently tapping someone on the shoulder and asking how they let a stranger that close to them sometimes works in correcting their behavior.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Maintaining tactical awareness day in day out for years when you carry a gun for a living is a battle.

Having taught tactics and firearms for decades one has to work on being aware day after day. It is very easy to get into the it never happen to me before.

I always would tell students just take a second to look around play the what if game all day. What if when I pull up to the gas pump with the bank across the street some one comes out of the bank shooting. Where cover what are the safe shooting angles.

What if when I do this traffic stop the little old lady pulls a gun or what if she forgets the car is in drive and takes her foot off the brake just because she forgot.

What if the person standing at the counter is a bad guy.

It goes on and on.

Look for danger signs a split second of awareness can keep you from being caught totally unaware.

Belive IN YOUR SIXTH SENSE if something is telling you its not right just don't put it off.

XDFDE45

Believe IN YOUR SIXTH SENSE if something is telling you its not right just don't put it off.

That is it in a nut shell right there. Trust your gut. The thing that I have noticed in crimes against people is that about 98-99% of them are walking around in Condition White and are COMPLETELY oblivious to their surroundings. That is key to detecting and hopefully avoiding unsavory situations. Even taking a second to look around when leaving a store/business is well worth it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
In my CC courses I tell people that their awareness skills are more likely to save their butts than their skills with a weapon and, unlike gun skills, awareness skills can be practiced everywhere at all times. I advise them to compare their level of awareness on foot to when they're driving a vehicle: While driving one remains conscious of what lays ahead and what is happening behind. One pays attention to distances, anticipates potential hazards or unexpected movements and reads the intentions of others. I tell them that they do not have to be paranoid, but that they ought to maintain a level of awareness that is equivalent to an attentive level of awareness while driving.

carpman15

i completely agree with what has been said i always try to have an exit and preferably two but sometimes thats not possible but i agree that people today often do not have any idea of whats going on around them i always try to watch what is around me some times i notice that im not doing as much as a i should be doing but i am trying to get better at it and i will in time