• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elite Shooting Sports

JohnM15A

Stopped by the new range tonight after eating at Longhorn. Awesome place. One of the great features is that the ranges are climate controlled so you are not freezing in the Winter and sweating in the Summer... You really have to visit this place to really appreciate it.

Oh yea, you can walk in with a loaded sidearm in your holster, can't say that about the NRA range or Sharpshooters.

http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/

Annual membership is sold out but regular hourly rates are competitive.

2014-11-30_18-15-31_878.jpg

2014-11-30_18-16-18_175.jpg

2014-11-30_18-33-53_792.jpg

2014-11-30_18-34-04_618.jpg

2014-11-30_18-34-09_283.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Stopped by the new range tonight after eating at Longhorn. Awesome place. One of the great features is that the ranges are climate controlled so you are not freezing in the Winter and sweating in the Summer... You really have to visit this place to really appreciate it.

Oh yea, you can walk in with a loaded sidearm in your holster, can't say that about the NRA range or Sharpshooters.

http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/

Annual membership is sold out but regular hourly rates are competitive.

View attachment 12247

View attachment 12248

View attachment 12249

View attachment 12250

View attachment 12251

I have been going to the new Elite Shooting Range now for several weeks. They still have a few things lacking that the NRA range has better but it is a great range to use.

BTW, you most certainly can enter the NRA range with your loaded and holstered sidearm. Who told you that you couldn't do this? I've been doing it for the last three years. At the Elite Shooting Range you can only enter hot if you have a valid CHP on your person. Otherwise, your sidearm must be cased and unloaded.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have been going to the new Elite Shooting Range now for several weeks. They still have a few things lacking that the NRA range has better but it is a great range to use.

BTW, you most certainly can enter the NRA range with your loaded and holstered sidearm. Who told you that you couldn't do this? I've been doing it for the last three years. At the Elite Shooting Range you can only enter hot if you have a valid CHP on your person. Otherwise, your sidearm must be cased and unloaded.

They just went on the sombitch blacklist.

swinokur

Activist Member
The NRA Range has no prohibition on loaded weapons being carried into the range. I carry in there all the time and I'm coming from MD. I load and holster my firearm after getting into VA.

Marco

Hi, I live in the Bristow/Gainesville area and have waited patiently for a range in this area. I wish to visit your range from the website it looks nice. I wanted to be clear on your policy about firearms carried for personal defense while visiting your facility.

Thanks,

Marco

Hello Marco,

All Firearms coming into Elite Shooting Sports must be holstered or in a case. You are not able to touch your firearm anywhere until you are out on the range. If you were to take a class with us, you will be asked to clear your firearm as there is NO ammunition allowed in the classrooms at any time.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards,

Mandy Richards
Executive Assistant
Elite Shooting Sports

SouthernBoy

Hi, I live in the Bristow/Gainesville area and have waited patiently for a range in this area. I wish to visit your range from the website it looks nice. I wanted to be clear on your policy about firearms carried for personal defense while visiting your facility.

Thanks,

Marco

Before you are allowed to use the range, you must view a 10 minute video that covers the rules and procedures. You may not enter the facility with a loaded and holstered firearm unless you have a CHP. Now of the six or seven times I have been in that building, no one has asked to see my carry permit and yes, I was OC'ing every time.

Marco

Before you are allowed to use the range, you must view a 10 minute video that covers the rules and procedures. You may not enter the facility with a loaded and holstered firearm unless you have a CHP. Now of the six or seven times I have been in that building, no one has asked to see my carry permit and yes, I was OC'ing every time.

Is that (part I BOLDED) posted somewhere on Premise over at Elite?
Or is it one of the Range Commandos spinning yarns?

SouthernBoy

I have not looked for any signs at the entrance because, well,,, it's a shooting range. As for where that statement comes from? It's in their required-to-watch video. As I recall, the video claims that this is required by some authority* in order for them to operate the facility in the county.

* Don't know the exact wording, whether it was authority or something else, but I thought it was a little strange. I suspect it could be their insurance underwriter or something like that. But I really don't know.

Last edited:

BillB

5. All firearms must be holstered or cased in unloaded condition while going to and from the range. Law Enforcement and Concealed Carry Permit holders are allowed to enter the facility holstered and hot. For safety reasons loaded firearms are prohibited in certain areas of the facility where dry fire exercises may take place. These areas include all classrooms, the simulator room and the dojo. Again we would like to emphasize ALL firearms must be holstered or cased in an unloaded condition while traveling to and from the range. This is a requirement mandated by local officials in order for us to operate an indoor shooting range in this area. Be smart, put it in a case and come enjoy our range

http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/images/ess_range_rules_v2.pdf

SouthernBoy

Back on the sombitch black list! :uhoh:

Yep. There's the term; "local officials". I would question that one. Hard to imagine how Prince William County would be different on this issue than Fairfax.

The one rule I do not care for is only allowing one firearm on the table at a time. It's easy to get around this by slipping a handgun into a handgun pouch (suggested by a range master) or holstering one while switch between it and another one. But it is a pain at times when you are comparing two handguns with side-by-side targets. And the constant handling of your handgun as you go from your range bag to the table and back is a potential hazard waiting to happen in my opinion. The NRA range allows you to have multiple guns on your table so why can't ESS?

Marco

Southernboy said:
As I recall, the video claims that this is required by some authority*

Thanks guys.
So it appears the County fathers made them establish extra legal requirements, which they are clearly not enforcing.

Until they elect to enforce the rule "the county appears to have forced on them" ("this rule goes in or no zoning permit"), I'll patronize if in the area.
IMHO, PWC County Officials that forced this upon a private business can shove it until they bleed from every orifice.

Maybe some of you folks in PWC should/could start submitting FOIA request, attending BOS meetings and asking hard questions.

BillB

Yep. There's the term; "local officials". I would question that one. Hard to imagine how Prince William County would be different on this issue than Fairfax.

Apparently, they needed a county Special Use Permit to operate. I found the below document, but it does not list some of the restrictions ESS claims as due to local requirements. I'm not accusing ESS of being dishonest about this, I simply can't find it in writing anywhere.

http://eservice.pwcgov.org/planning/documents/pln2014-00167.pdf

Last edited:

wrearick

Now, I will admit that English was one of my weaker areas of study but I think there is a big difference between these two sentences:

All firearms must be holstered or cased in unloaded condition while going to and from the range. and
All firearms must be holstered or cased, in unloaded condition, while going to and from the range.

In the first one, if the firearm is holstered you are fine - period. No requirement to be unloaded or to have a CHP. the unloaded condition is only applicable to a cased firearm. without the commas the rule is "this way" OR "that way" and the first part does not have a stipulation to be unloaded.
in the second version the "unloaded condition" applies to both specified instances holstered AND cased....BUT that is NOT how their rule is worded. I do not see walking in OC'ing as violating their rules "as written".

JMHO

Last edited:

hunter45

Went there last week. Great place! The people there were very friendly, as opposed to those who work at the NRA range. They are NOT enforcing that CHP rule. All of the guys in my group had loaded guns on their hips and no one asked if we had CHPs. Definitely go check this place out!