• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yakima Co Sheriff talks about (open) carry in Outlook

cynicist

Just for some background, Outlook is this little village of the damned completely over run by gangs between Granger and Sunnyside. It's about 500 people, about 20% of which are gang members, doesn't have 24hr LEO coverage, and has several shootings reported every week.
http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/12/05/11-25-09-outlook
I was impressed that Irwin noted that open carry is legal, and even suggested we carry, but disappointed that he stated that LEOs may draw a gun on you for OC.

"County sheriff voices no objections to local folks packing their own heat"

Irwin spoke to the attendees about the good and the bad that has happened since Standup for Outlook last met. He also encouraged citizens to protect themselves, by carrying a weapon if they have to.

A recent spate of drive-by shootings in the Outlook area has rattled some residents. One man asked Irwin if it was time for him to start packing his own weapon, in response to the numerous shootings in his neighborhood.

"Yes, I believe people should in times like these," Irwin answered. "You have to be able to protect yourself."

Irwin said it is perfectly legal to carry a firearm in the open in the state of Washington, although he cautioned that carrying a weapon also brings with it extra responsibilities.
"You can't shoot the wrong person," he said.

Irwin also warned that although carrying a firearm in the open is legal in Washington, chances are if the police happen to see them, they will ask questions. Thos questions will probably be asked with the officer pointing a weapon at them, he added.

Irwin encouraged the residents to call the sheriff's office if any problems occur, and urged those who choose to arm themselves to be ever remindful of the law.

"We have to be stronger and more determined than they are," Irwin said of the troublemakers causing problems. "You can't let them take away your homes and happiness."

http://www.dailysunnews.com/DSNNews1.shtml

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

Really? They think open carry needs to be met with drawn guns?

Since when the hell has any felon and/or gangbanger carried a gun out in the open, outside of the commission of a crime using that firearm? I've never heard of a case! However, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I digress. To me it seems like an extremely rare case. It seems that it would, in that situation, be easy to tell whether it were a law abiding citizen or a criminal. Behavioral profiling would come in very handy in this type of case. Look at Tel Aviv airport in Israel. That's how they identify threats.

Sounds like they need a little bit of training. If anything, as an LEO I'd take open carry as a very obvious signal that the person carrying is a good guy just trying to stay safe. Hell, if I were a cop, I'd rather people open carry, so I know who's packin'. Gangbangers are still gonna carry theirs concealed. They don't want the attention that comes with OC. They want to walk into a store, keep attention away from themselves, and sneak up to the front and pull their weapon and demand money.

*sigh*

Well, to their credit, at least they're putting it out there that law abiding citizens ought to be armed and learn how to use a gun in order to protect themselves. They know they can't be there all the time.

When seconds count...

Metalhead47

Really? They think open carry needs to be met with drawn guns?

Since when the hell has any felon and/or gangbanger carried a gun out in the open, outside of the commission of a crime using that firearm? I've never heard of a case! However, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I digress. To me it seems like an extremely rare case. It seems that it would, in that situation, be easy to tell whether it were a law abiding citizen or a criminal. Behavioral profiling would come in very handy in this type of case. Look at Tel Aviv airport in Israel. That's how they identify threats.

Sounds like they need a little bit of training. If anything, as an LEO I'd take open carry as a very obvious signal that the person carrying is a good guy just trying to stay safe. Hell, if I were a cop, I'd rather people open carry, so I know who's packin'. Gangbangers are still gonna carry theirs concealed. They don't want the attention that comes with OC. They want to walk into a store, keep attention away from themselves, and sneak up to the front and pull their weapon and demand money.

*sigh*

Well, to their credit, at least they're putting it out there that law abiding citizens ought to be armed and learn how to use a gun in order to protect themselves. They know they can't be there all the time.

When seconds count...

It doesn't sound to me that he's saying OC needs to be met with drawn guns & questions, or that his men ought to do so. I think he's saying that such things are merely likely responses from LE in general. And there are enough stories on this forum that that's not entirely inaccurate.

amlevin

Is charles Bronson retired?

Actually, he's been dead since 2003. I guess that would be "retired".

What Outlook needs is for the Sheriff to issue "Depradation Permits". Just like those used to cull excess wildlife that's damaging resources or becoming dangerous to people.

In Outlook they might make them "Punch Cards" in order to allow multiple "takings".

jbone

:eek: "01-06" Was a long sea duty! I wonder what else I missed, forgot, or never told on AFRTS?:lol:

Last edited:

HK_dave

What Outlook needs is for the Sheriff to issue "Depradation Permits". Just like those used to cull excess wildlife that's damaging resources or becoming dangerous to people.

In Outlook they might make them "Punch Cards" in order to allow multiple "takings".

and turn in the ears to prove your kill?

amlevin

C'mon guys, seriously... do you have any idea what kinds of disease those vermin carry? I say let them rot where they drop. Maybe the smell will keep others away.

Or do like a Montana/Wyoming rancher might do. Just hang the carcass on a fence post to warn of the other "predators" of it's kind.

BTW, for those that like to always "point to the rules" and might suggest I am advocating an "Illegal Act", remember that I first suggested that this practice be made Legal.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Yakima Valley

Well, I got to drive to Yakima from the Tri Cities today for work. Passed a couple of my least favorite places on the way: Buena and Outlook. It is pathetic that this beautiful place is being destroyed by lawlessness.

I wonder when the people there are going to be tired enough of the violence to do something. LE is handcuffed by too much crime, too few LEO, not enough money and too many "rights" in the hands of people who shouldn't be here in the first place. The people will have to solve this sort of issue themselves.

I wonder if the Sheriff will happen to be "looking" the other way if the locals sort this out for themselves? Should be interesting to watch.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Just sitting hear reading and across the radio comes Gun Shot Victim to the Head and Not Responsive, things have been escalating up lately here in Yakima.

This occurred in in the 800 E Block of Walnut 5 blocks from the PD.

Stretch

Just sitting hear reading and across the radio comes Gun Shot Victim to the Head and Not Responsive, things have been escalating up lately here in Yakima.

This occurred in in the 800 E Block of Walnut 5 blocks from the PD.

My boss knows that if I have a work call in "The Valley" that I'll be breaking company rules about firearms. I told him I would rather be unemployed than unable to defend...

.45ACPaddy

"Rules" be damned. You can't work if you're dead. Better to be alive and seeking employment than dead and unable to seek employment.