• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Huckabee statement on Sandy Hook shooting

John Carol Heinz

Mount Airy, North Carolina, United States
Some people will hate me for posting this, others may agree with the content of this article

I don't care if you go one way or the other. here it is

Mike Huckabee's monologue on the Connecticut shooting.
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckabee-news?ID=70415326-e438-41e4-9972-467097d2029f

i live in a open carry state. here in NC. I find it rather interesting that the media. Shortly after 24 hours quit useing the assult rifle term. and are now calling it a combat rifle. if we could just get the media on the right PC path. I belive that we could find that all views will be shared. instead of it being onesided all the time.

Freedom1Man

i live in a open carry state. here in NC. I find it rather interesting that the media. Shortly after 24 hours quit useing the assult rifle term. and are now calling it a combat rifle. if we could just get the media on the right PC path. I belive that we could find that all views will be shared. instead of it being onesided all the time.

Not to change the topic but could you link to that for me, please?

I will take time to read the Huckabee thing later.

eye95

Mike needs to learn the subtle art of paragraphing.

But, he is essentially correct. No single act like Newtown can be directly traced to any single act of abandonment of God. However, in general, these acts should not be surprising in light of our nation's general turning away from God.

I firmly believe that whether or not God exists is a personal choice. When you say he doesn't exist, he doesn't, and you are on your own in a Godless world, destined to an eternal Godless existence. When you say he exists, you join Him in His creation, with all the blessings and benefits, eternally. When a nation generally acknowledges God, He blesses them. When they disavow Him, he simply does not bless them, and they become more subject to the evil that man creates.

Now, I know most of you here are either committed believers in God or committed atheists. I am not looking for an argument on the existence of God (though I know it is already afoot). As a matter of fact, I am saying that, if you say He does not exist, He doesn't--for you. God will let you make that choice. You probably don't want my pity, but I pity folks who deny themselves God's freely given gift.

What I say is mainly directed at those still wondering and searching. Let the Spirit of God into your life. It is amazing when it happens, and you will KNOW it. He will touch you often to varying degrees, and it will still amaze you every time it happens.

WalkingWolf

These acts have nothing to do with any sort of god.
+1 absolutely nothing~~these acts were the acts of a nut case. Who knows his reasoning he did not bother to share, not that I care. If there is a hell I hope he burns in it. Personally I think we see so many of these acts because the media and the country obsesses over them so much. It seems like each nut case tries to out do the nut case before.

davidmcbeth

Banned
These acts have nothing to do with any sort of god.

I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

When I was a pup, abortion was not legal where I lived and the SCOTUS Roe case created an immediate call to some Christians to try to prevent laws from being passed to prevent it in my state. I recall this effort even as a young boy. It resonates with me still today..the efforts of people to save the unborn. And I recall the angst of the result upon the people trying to stop this when it actually went forward. The church was active in this issue and seemed to just melt away afterwards.

The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.

But on the whole, our society is going down a path that minimizes human life's value. And I think that Mike was pointing this out.

And Mike's discussion is not a new idea ...

Jonz

I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

When I was a pup, abortion was not legal where I lived and the SCOTUS Roe case created an immediate call to some Christians to try to prevent laws from being passed to prevent it in my state. I recall this effort even as a young boy. It resonates with me still today..the efforts of people to save the unborn. And I recall the angst of the result upon the people trying to stop this when it actually went forward. The church was active in this issue and seemed to just melt away afterwards.

The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.

But on the whole, our society is going down a path that minimizes human life's value. And I think that Mike was pointing this out.

And Mike's discussion is not a new idea ...

I agree. I personally do believe in God, but I think the argument being made does not rely on that belief.

The values and beliefs taught by religion, by the Bible, heck just by the 10 commandments will guide a child in how they act as they grow older.

Why is it that the 10 commandments are banned from schools? If children see signs saying "Do not murder" and "do not lie" every single day then they might actually follow them?

OC for ME

I agree. I personally do believe in God, but I think the argument being made does not rely on that belief.

The values and beliefs taught by religion, by the Bible, heck just by the 10 commandments will guide a child in how they act as they grow older.

Why is it that the 10 commandments are banned from schools? If children see signs saying "Do not murder" and "do not lie" every single day then they might actually follow them?
God's Ten Commandments do not prohibit lying in general.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
God prohibits bearing false witness (lying) against your neighbor. God does not command us to not lie to our neighbor. We as a civilized society figured out that lying to our neighbor is wrong.

nonameisgood

Because these values are not uniquely Christian or uniquely religious. They are universal and timeless. All great civilizations recognize(d) the value of getting along and the importance of trust for the advancement of the society. Framing them as religious ideals does mankind a disservice.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Because these values are not uniquely Christian or uniquely religious. They are universal and timeless. All great civilizations recognize(d) the value of getting along and the importance of trust for the advancement of the society. Framing them as religious ideals does mankind a disservice.

Most are not tied to religion, I'll agree with that ... but the afterlife? Seems religious in nature, even pagan religions in history .. atheists don't believe in an afterlife, right?

DrakeZ07

*snippy*I think Mike was discussing the absence of religion on our society as a whole. The Christian values of turning the other cheek when wronged. To not seeking revenge for every person who does you wrong. The idea that life is more than just our mortal existence. That life is a test for the afterlife.

[...]

The state has marginalized religion and so has religion itself, thinking its better to stay on the sidelines rather than use a bully pulpit. I think that on gun control issues, the church should sit on the political sideline regarding legislation but continue its mission in respect to teaching Christian values. Its axiomatic for the Catholic church to talk about gun control after the Crusades and after Ireland's fight for independence from the English.*tin-snip-a-roo*

Since when has the teaching of forgiving someone who have wronged you, and to not seek revenge, and such been solely christian?! These are things that pre-date Judeo-christian beliefs, stemming from Pagen spiritualists of all sorts, and forms from every continent on this planet, well, excepting Antarctica, unless Penguins are sentient.

And what is so wrong with marginalizing religion? Government should by all means, minimize, and reduce religion as whole to a purely home-practice. This isn't a christian nation, it's a multicultural nation filled with thousands of different belief systems, and thousands of different faiths and types of spiritualists just as it was prior to it's founding.

/end-rant

eye95

Which pagAn religion taught forgiveness pre-Christianity? Cites, please.

The government started marginalizing marriage decades ago when it began encouraging unmarried mothers with its welfare programs. How has that worked out for us?

sudden valley gunner

The government started marginalizing marriage decades ago when it began encouraging unmarried mothers with its welfare programs. How has that worked out for us?

I can think of a parable from an ancient American Indian story by my local tribe that has the idea of forgiveness. By some estimates these people have been here for around 8000 years.

The notion of forgiving is a human trait not a religious trait.

nobama

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
too long ; didn't read

Is he suggesting this happened to these 5-7 year olds because we don't hold worship and prayer services in school?

Do church stuff at church, school stuff at school, and mosque stuff at a mosque. What's so wrong/offensive about that?

sharkey

Marrigage is an instrument of religion and as such the government should stay out of it. (other than enforcement of the contract aspect of it)

Yes, I know that's not where you were going.

Moving on.

ETA, on further thought the above statement is horrible. Are you insinuating that women be finacially chained to a man? If not how does welfare encourage unwed mothers? Enlightmen me please. I say this as a man who's "wife" is a stay at home mom. That is her choice though, I would actually prefer she work.

ETA again.

I guess I stand corrected. It is officially the woman's fault just like Buffett said.

http://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/relationship-between-welfare-state-crime-0
Of course women do not get pregnant just to get welfare benefits. It is also true that a wide array of other social factors has contributed to the growth in out-of-wedlock births. But, by removing the economic consequences of a out-of-wedlock birth, welfare has removed a major incentive to avoid such pregnancies. A teenager looking around at her friends and neighbors is liable to see several who have given birth out of wedlock. When she sees that they have suffered few visible immediate consequences (the very real consequences of such behavior are often not immediately apparent), she is less inclined to modify her own behavior to prevent pregnancy.

Jimmy Buffett :lol:
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame

Last edited:

sharkey

I'm still battling the welfare marriage thing internally.

People are people and if the above statements are true then my guess is without welfare there would be more abortions (not less sex) ... which is worse than welfare mothers right?

History is rife with single mothers is it not? Now I have to research the history of marrigage (not the 1950's TV show perfect world many seem to think was the norm in society for era's)