• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County officials ignore or don't know O.C law, RPD gets their bluff called.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Yeah there are a lot of people in Washoe County that don't care what the law is. The Washoe Sheriff and the District Attorney office basically told me that they don't care what the law says when it comes to open carry within the Sheriffs' Office.

The DMV does seem to recognize the law. I can't take credit for that, some people sent letters and what not and I didn't. But by OCing there in the past and discussing it with them in person I may have helped reduce their confusion.

I like to OC places but I always make sure I have some real business to accomplish where I am going. I only OC to the DMV when I have business with the DMV, for instance.

Generally, public buildings belong to everyone so one cannot be denied access to them arbitrarily. I'm no lawyer but I would be concerned that without having business in a place it might be possible that they can argue that you came specifically to vex or annoy an occupant, which might fall under trespassing.

NRS 207.200  Unlawful trespass upon land; warning against trespassing.
1.  Unless a greater penalty is provided pursuant to NRS 200.603, any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a burglary:
(a) Goes upon the land or into any building of another with intent to vex or annoy the owner or occupant thereof, or to commit any unlawful act; or
(b) Willfully goes or remains upon any land or in any building after having been warned by the owner or occupant thereof not to trespass,
Ê is guilty of a misdemeanor. The meaning of this subsection is not limited by subsections 2 and 4.
2.  A sufficient warning against trespassing, within the meaning of this section, is given by any of the following methods:
(a) If the land is used for agricultural purposes or for herding or grazing livestock, by painting with fluorescent orange paint:
(1) Not less than 50 square inches of the exterior portion of a structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of the exterior portion of a post, whether made of wood, metal or other material, at:
(I) Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such structure, natural object or post would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post, but at intervals of not more than 1,000 feet; and
(II) Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary; and
(2) Each side of all gates, cattle guards and openings that are designed to allow human ingress to the area;
(b) If the land is not used in the manner specified in paragraph (a), by painting with fluorescent orange paint not less than 50 square inches of the exterior portion of a structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of the exterior portion of a post, whether made of wood, metal or other material, at:
(1) Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such structure, natural object or post would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post, but at intervals of not more than 200 feet; and
(2) Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary;
(c) Fencing the area; or
(d) By the owner or occupant of the land or building making an oral or written demand to any guest to vacate the land or building.
3.  It is prima facie evidence of trespass for any person to be found on private or public property which is posted or fenced as provided in subsection 2 without lawful business with the owner or occupant of the property.
4.  An entryman on land under the laws of the United States is an owner within the meaning of this section.
5.  As used in this section:
(a) “Fence” means a barrier sufficient to indicate an intent to restrict the area to human ingress, including, but not limited to, a wall, hedge or chain link or wire mesh fence. The term does not include a barrier made of barbed wire.
(b) “Guest” means any person entertained or to whom hospitality is extended, including, but not limited to, any person who stays overnight. The term does not include a tenant as defined in NRS 118A.170.
[1911 C&P § 500; RL § 6765; NCL § 10447]—(NRS A 1969, 96; 1975, 1169; 1987, 2086; 1989, 997; 2005, 930; 2007, 981; 2009, 141)

According to http://www.washoecounty.us/seniorsrv/nutrition.htm, at the senior center, one should be 60+ in order to get the low priced Senior meals. I'm thinking that it would not be a good idea to try and do something like that unless you happen to be a qualifying senior, in that case by all means open carry while you try and utilize the government program.

Participants must be at least one of the following -
60 or older or
if under 60, either attending with their over-60 spouse
or living and eating lunch at one of the nutrition sites
or disabled and living with a person 60+
Proof of age and/or status of living arrangements may be required.

Even if it is lawful for a non-senior to visit with no apparent purpose, I think it could be bad publicity.

Of course I absolutely agree we ought to be able to OC all public buildings including the senior center, but I think unless we have some 60+ year old members here who can go with a real purpose I think it might be better to try other venues where there is a more legitimate purpose to be there instead of coming just to object to their unlawful behavior.

If a senior comes to get his meal and is turned away because he wants self-protection, that will be a more positive argument to forcing them to follow the law, and it will be less likely that people will push to change the law. If a young guy shows up, unaccompanied by a senior, with the sole purpose being to protest the lack of following the law, even if succeeding in forcing them to follow the law, will they then testify to the legislature that they need to be allowed to ban guns at the senior center because young guys with guns loiter around?

If you aren't a senior, sending them a letter could still be good but I wouldn't visit without a purpose. If you still had your job, carrying on the job could have been a great way to have official business there that would justify your presence in their facility and it would be better publicity than trying to purchase discount senior meals when you aren't a senior.

As for metal detectors, even a metal detector does not legally entitle a government building to make a gun free zone. NRS 202.3673 bans only concealed carry by permit holders, if there is a sign or a metal detector in place.

As for the RPD story, if I was you I would have tried to at least tell the cops they were wrong about the law. If they were truly ignorant, they now remain as ignorant as before. I have been unjustly stopped a few times in the past for open carry and I never filed a complaint. I didn't want to penalize the officers for their ignorance, at the time. However, I have come to find that many officers know the law fully yet try to intimidate people into not carrying. Those people deserve a complaint, in my opinion. A complaint might be the only thing to get them to change their way. Of course, if department policy is to harass OC'ers than it won't do much good, but might form the basis of a future lawsuit if the continue to act inappropriately despite the complaints.

Last edited:

chrsjhnsn

I have written a letter to a top county official and they promptly wrote back assuring me they will investigate.

Mr Moron has completely isolated himself from friends/family and acquaintances. Shooting him is a favor.
I feel sorry for him, living in his own mess is more then enough punishment. The cops took his "sap" and warned him.

WRT you folks wanting me to write a complaint about the police officers.
I do not see any point, they didn't even look at my CCW, they didn't disarm me and they did their best to resolve the situation with minimum intrusion to all parties.
They treated me fairly as well as mr moron, they treated the county employee's fairly .

There are way to many laws on the books, useless laws . I do not want L.E all tied up in enforcing every tiny violation...

The Big Guy

I have written a letter to a top county official and they promptly wrote back assuring me they will investigate.

Mr Moron has completely isolated himself from friends/family and acquaintances. Shooting him is a favor.
I feel sorry for him, living in his own mess is more then enough punishment. The cops took his "sap" and warned him.

WRT you folks wanting me to write a complaint about the police officers.
I do not see any point, they didn't even look at my CCW, they didn't disarm me and they did their best to resolve the situation with minimum intrusion to all parties.
They treated me fairly as well as mr moron, they treated the county employee's fairly .

There are way to many laws on the books, useless laws . I do not want L.E all tied up in enforcing every tiny violation...

My old news nose tells me something is missing here.

TBG

chrsjhnsn

As for the RPD story, if I was you I would have tried to at least tell the cops they were wrong about the law. If they were truly ignorant, they now remain as ignorant as before. I have been unjustly stopped a few times in the past for open carry and I never filed a complaint. I didn't want to penalize the officers for their ignorance, at the time. However, I have come to find that many officers know the law fully yet try to intimidate people into not carrying. Those people deserve a complaint, in my opinion. A complaint might be the only thing to get them to change their way. Of course, if department policy is to harass OC'ers than it won't do much good, but might form the basis of a future lawsuit if the continue to act inappropriately despite the complaints.

I agree, however I couldn't afford to spend the night in Reno and I had groceries with me too, and a cooler with ice - and it was over 100 degrees - I really didn't want to "win" an argument and spend a day ( a very hot day ) carrying that stuff around and a night in the park with three dollars to buy a cup of coffee with.

I could have argued with the officers but by"winning" my point that would mean I get to experience the joys of homelessness for a day.
My pay check was not going to be there for another whole business day, my car was parked in Gerlach.

I am all for educational and protesting OC, I will make myself available for that...please lets do an OC BBQ or something ( other then picking up someone else' s trash )
Really, I'll write a letter of complaint for that if it is needed.

However this situation was totally different, if you do not agree then please walk a mile in my shoes. The next time its 105 degrees we can meet in downtown Reno.
I will lend you the gear I had that day, a full messenger bag with a bunch of stuff , a cooler with a bunch of drinks and ice, a bag of groceries and a box that I use to carry my older/bigger laptop with cord to plug in, speakers, mouse - that I happened to have that day.
I will OC with you while you carry everything, you can stay outside all day, over night, until at least noon the next day. You will only have three dollars to spend.

OK?

Really, I will be glad to oblige you for this little experiment - It should be warmer this week lets do it soon.

Not really meaning Felid Maximus but any of you that think I'm worse then Hitler for just wanting to get a freaking ride and not "win" an argument and be homeless for a day and a night.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

You're right, I wrote a much longer post but edited it a whole bunch.

WRT the "low priced senior meals" yes, you need to be 60 plus for those but under sixties are welcome and they cost less then approx 5 bucks.

chrisjhnsn, there was a Christopher Johnson arrested on 07/11/13, the same date as your post, for Battery with a deadly weapon, by the Reno police. There was also an arrest for the same thing back in March. Was that you?

TBG

chrsjhnsn

You guys do realize how far away my car was, right?
My car was a two and a half hour drive away.

Please drive to Gerlach from downtown Reno someday.
With a full backpack of good survival gear it would take me a few weeks to walk that far.

But I didn't have that.

I'll tell you what, any of you folks that are criticizing my actions can easily change my mind.
There is still time to write a complaint.

You spend a day and a night and a day carrying that stuff around - I'll be there with you- we can spend the day and night and next day out side - we will both have only 3 bucks to spend.
Be homeless with me for one night and I'll write a ton of letters.
Really, you can easily walk a mile in my shoes, I am here for you, you can easily spend 24/48 hours in my shoes.
I have all that stuff still, I can easily replicate my experience - its even supposed to be pretty hot next week, LETS DO IT!!

chrsjhnsn

chrisjhnsn, there was a Christopher Johnson arrested on 07/11/13, the same date as your post, for Battery with a deadly weapon, by the Reno police. There was also an arrest for the same thing back in March. Was that you?

TBG

no!

I plan on driving thru Reno this thursday/fri or sat.
Let me buy you a cup of coffee and I'll show you my current valid CCW. With my picture on it...I'm sure I look a lot different then that C johnson...LOL

I left my Glock in Gerlach because I'm in CA this week.... LOL

Please lets meet up, I'll buy you a cup of coffee or a cold beverage....

The Big Guy

no!

Let me buy you a cup of coffee and I'll show you my current valid CCW. With my picture on it...I'm sure I look a lot different then that C johnson...LOL

I left my Glock in Gerlach because I'm in CA this week.... LOL

Please lets meet up, I'll buy you a cup of coffee or a cold beverage....

You have to admit that is a 1 in million coincidence, same date, same name, battery with a deadly weapon. Sorry, I had to ask.

I am 450 miles from Reno but if you are ever in Henderson, time allowing, I'd be more than happy to meet you.

TBG

chrsjhnsn

hey big guy, are there really a lot of habitual criminals hanging out on OC forum for years?
I'm a 53 year old Life Member of the NRA that hasn't had a drink in nearly 18 years!

Cmon, give me a break here?
Any chance you'll be near Reno any time in the next few weeks? I would like to show you myself that I'm actually a nice guy, that is far more likely to hold a door open for a little old lady then get arrested for ADW!!

chrsjhnsn

You have to admit that is a 1 in million coincidence, same date, same name, battery with a deadly weapon. Sorry, I had to ask.

I am 450 miles from Reno but if you are ever in Henderson, time allowing, I'd be more than happy to meet you.

TBG

Deal! I'm not sure when I will be there next but I am buying you a hot or cold beverage of your choice!
:)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I agree, however I couldn't afford to spend the night in Reno and I had groceries with me too, and a cooler with ice - and it was over 100 degrees - I really didn't want to "win" an argument and spend a day ( a very hot day ) carrying that stuff around and a night in the park with three dollars to buy a cup of coffee with.

I could have argued with the officers but by"winning" my point that would mean I get to experience the joys of homelessness for a day.
My pay check was not going to be there for another whole business day, my car was parked in Gerlach.

I am all for educational and protesting OC, I will make myself available for that...please lets do an OC BBQ or something ( other then picking up someone else' s trash )
Really, I'll write a letter of complaint for that if it is needed.

However this situation was totally different, if you do not agree then please walk a mile in my shoes. The next time its 105 degrees we can meet in downtown Reno.
I will lend you the gear I had that day, a full messenger bag with a bunch of stuff , a cooler with a bunch of drinks and ice, a bag of groceries and a box that I use to carry my older/bigger laptop with cord to plug in, speakers, mouse - that I happened to have that day.
I will OC with you while you carry everything, you can stay outside all day, over night, until at least noon the next day. You will only have three dollars to spend.

OK?

Really, I will be glad to oblige you for this little experiment - It should be warmer this week lets do it soon.

Not really meaning Felid Maximus but any of you that think I'm worse then Hitler for just wanting to get a freaking ride and not "win" an argument and be homeless for a day and a night.
I hope I did not come across as condescending as I did not mean to be at all. I was just giving my perspective. I really don't think you made any particularly bad decisions but your post seemed to be not only a story but an inquiry as to how we can get the county officials to obey the law, and I was merely providing my input as to the strategies that will be effective. And I think the effective strategy is generally obtained through education, complaint, and possibly even court action even though I myself have generally been limiting my own actions to the first of the three categories.

I have told police they were wrong about the law a few times and it did not inconvenience me to do so, but I also wasn't trying to get a ride from them, either.

And I wasn't necessarily meaning that every case a complaint had to be made, only that in general complaints need to be made when a pattern of harassment needs to be stopped. From the sound of it these officers gave you a ride out of their own generosity so I probably wouldn't complain either.

However how did you end up stranded? What happened to your bus? Did your employer send another driver to take the bus or bring another bus to take everyone, but left you stranded there? Did they "send you home" as punishment for having a gun even though you didn't break the law? If the police didn't give you a ride, they wouldn't have sent someone over to pick you up and bring you back? Or was it just that you didn't want to take the chance that they would leave you stranded if you weren't offered a ride by the police?

If the employer was penalizing you without justification then it seems like they were a government agency that was acting in violation of the law.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
no!

I'll be in the Reno area this week -- let's get together, then I can report and eliminate all doubt. It won't be a long meeting, but I can break a few minutes out.

PM me with an email address.