• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massad Ayoob's Best Article

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article.

I've read many of his articles, and have always been impressed by both his knowledge and common-sense. He may not advocate open carry, but that's likely due to the fact nearly all law enforcement officers who carried off-duty carried concealed.

In the meantime, this remains, in my opinion, one of his best articles, as it underscores the deterrent value to a society by ensuring its populace remains armed.

eye95

It was a good read but its either you support OC 100% or not at all.

I hope that my support of OC is up to your standards. However, I am afraid that, at most, I'd earn a 99.44%.

*frets*

He thinks OC should be lawful in all 50 States. It is not his preferred method of carry. I'll get over it.

zack991

I hope that my support of OC is up to your standards. However, I am afraid that, at most, I'd earn a 99.44%.

*frets*

He thinks OC should be lawful in all 50 States. It is not his preferred method of carry. I'll get over it.

You know what I am saying that people cant be picky and choosy on it, its either a yes or a no. A person can not agree with it based on baseless conditions before a person is allowed to exercise their rights.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

*frets*

Mas has come around considerably in recent years. In the past he made many of the typical "CC only" crowd responses. I'm glad to see it because I have a lot of respect for the man.

DanM

impressed by both his knowledge and common-sense. He may not advocate open carry

Not mutually compatible. You cannot have "impressive" knowledge and common sense as an RKBA advocate AND not advocate a form of RKBA which is completely lawful and peaceable or not acknowledge that it IS tactically superior in some circumstances.

If he has any of the latter, he does not have the former.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are ever involved in a defensive shooting with an over zealous prosecutor, you could do much worse than to have Mas testify in your behalf, but likely could find none better.

One of the most highly recognized experts in the field and is so certified by countless courts. He speaks in terms that both judge and jurors can understand.

PavePusher

Not mutually compatible. You cannot have "impressive" knowledge and common sense as an RKBA advocate AND not advocate a form of RKBA which is completely lawful and peaceable or not acknowledge that it IS tactically superior in some circumstances.

If he has any of the latter, he does not have the former.

"not advocate" does not mean "advocate against", which you seem to be assuming. Or maybe I'm reading you wrong...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
He hasn't waved an OC flag, but he hasn't torn one down, either. Not that I've seen...

One could argue 'when good men do nothing,' But he doesn't do nothing, either... Just nothing for OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When we look for allies that are 100% in agreement with our own personal philosophies of the moment, we might just find ourselves standing alone. My methodology is to find common ground and to build on that wherever and whenever possible.

To be my friend does not require that you endorse all of my tenants, but primarily that you accept and support my right to choose, and do not actively work in opposition to my beliefs.

eye95

When we look for allies that are 100% in agreement with our own personal philosophies of the moment, we might just find ourselves standing alone. My methodology is to find common ground and to build on that wherever and whenever possible.

To be my friend does not require that you endorse all of my tenants, but primarily that you accept and support my right to choose, and do not actively work in opposition to my beliefs.

Wisdom.