• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of date/preempted Loudoun County/Town of Leesburg Code?

conhntr

Ed walking the dog this morning the illegal signage is still up in foxridge. Im sure the puppy will make me take him out later will check another park this afternoon

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Is it legal to just put up a small sign in the meantime that says the existing sign has illegal language and cite 15.2-915?

I wonder if we can get express statutory authority to put up such a sign? And express statutory prohibition against the locality removing it? :)

Last edited:

conhntr

Was in the dogpark again today the signage is still up. From the earlier posts it looks like the mayor claimed 8 weeks at most?

I will contact her and ask

A. Has the ordinance been fixed

B. When will the signs be removed or redacted to remove the illegal language

conhntr

Mayor Umstattd;

Your office was contacted on 2/9/11 in regards to oridance 26-24.5, concerning weapons in parks. *That ordinance is preempted by 15.2-915 and needs to be removed from the leesburg ordinance and all signage in the parks removed. *At that time you advised my fellow 2nd amendment advocate Ed that the process would take at most 8 weeks. *

I was enjoying a few leesburg parks (dog park at old izaak walton and foxridge) over the holiday weekend and witnessed the signs citing 26-24.5 banning weapons are still in place

I would like to be updated on the process;

A. Has the 26-24.5 been removed from the town ordinances?
B. What is the schedule for removing or editing the signage?
C. Has the leesburg police been notified that the ordinance been preempted?

//name redacted for public forum//
Precinct 503-dry mill

//

She seemed very helpful in previous interactions so i wonder what the status is

Personally i do not open carry in the parks still because eventhough i know the law the other park users do not and only see the park rules sign and assume i am illegally carrying!

We need this fixed!

Last edited:

TFred

The answer to your first question is NO.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...html#PTIITOCO_CH26PARE_ARTIIPARU_S26-24PRUSPA

And while you're at it, 24-156 on Church Carry is probably illegal, and it also does not match the state code.

(Section 15.2-915 is violated all over the state by "identical" local ordinances. Many jurisdictions have their own copy of the concealed carry code, and in this case, a nearly identical copy of the church carry code. But 15.2-915 does not allow identical copies... all local ordinances are forbidden, even if they are identical to state code.)

24-158 is also now illegal due to the new BB gun law.

These folks need to do a LOT of clean-up on their code!

TFred

conhntr

//Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx;
Thank-you for letting me know. The Town Council and I have voted to bring our ordinances into compliance with the Constitution, and federal and state law. I have forwarded your email to relevant members of our staff to bring their attention to your observations. I am asking them to keep you informed as to when the signs will be brought into compliance.
Very sincerely yours,
Kristen Umstattd
//
Sounds like the signs where overlooked and the ordinance lookup we where using is out of date...

TFred

//Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx;
Thank-you for letting me know. The Town Council and I have voted to bring our ordinances into compliance with the Constitution, and federal and state law. I have forwarded your email to relevant members of our staff to bring their attention to your observations. I am asking them to keep you informed as to when the signs will be brought into compliance.
Very sincerely yours,
Kristen Umstattd
//
Sounds like the signs where overlooked and the ordinance lookup we where using is out of date...
The Municode webpage for the town of Leesburg says that their information is up to date as of March 8, 2011.

I guess the next question is, when do they update the Municode database?

TFred

conhntr

Got a pdf from them but cant get it posted here eith my phone will do so with computer tonight. Changes where pass june 14 to conform to state law. Although there was some tightening of other measures i.e no discharging firerms unless approved by town manager. The "unless Approved" was struck out. I doub the town manager was doing much approval anyway

opencarrypalmtrees

Leesburg virginia Police department and Loudoun county sherriff encounter

I had an encounter with 2 separate instances so far.

First one was a little scary to me,

I was just getting a movie at walgreens at the redbox in Leesburg when some guy dressed funny african american guy yells out to me "come here for a minute" and he saw i was open carrying and he was wearing baggy pants and a loose t shirt. First thing that comes to mind is who is this guy but I hesitated and asked are you law enforcement? He said no but he is and then he pointed to a loudoun county sherriff sitting in his car. I asked him are you a LEO and he said yes. Well anyway he began to ask me questions about what I was open carrying and well I felt nervous since I have never had anyone harass me before about my nagant revolver before and to top it off he had 2 guys with him the guy that was tell me to come talk to him and another in the back of his car I got a little scared but I played along and just talked about where to buy guns after that we just parted our ways. Everything turned out fine, but honestly what was up with the cop who had those guys that look like thugs giving me orders to come speak with the cop? That was encounter one.

Encounter 2

I went to the same walgreens to pick up some band aids for myself and I noticed out of the corner of my eye that a leesburg PD was standing 10 feet away from me I just tried to mind my own business but I could just feel someone was watching me and then finally he came up to me and asked me what kind of gun i was carrying and I told him it was a magnum he just he just nodded his head and left. Now that wasn't such a bad encounter, but honestly I really wish that police would just stop asking me what kind of cool gun im carrying I don't go up to them and ask them about their personal tools lol. ;)

Anyway thats my two cents

conhntr

Start carrying a gold deagle 50 cal.

No one will ask then. When i use to cary a ruger vaquero i got alot of "is that a real gun?" questions the glock in a serpa holster looks just like most leo so i dont get as much questions.

You just need to be relaxed leeeburg pd and sheriff havent ever been an issue for me