• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SKAT transit policy - any experience?

Metalhead47

Was just looking into the Skagit county fair this year. Long story short, found the following on the SKAT (Skagit Transit) "rules for riders" page:

You may not bring hazardous items (weapons, car batteries or gasoline or other like items) on Skagit Transit property or buses.

Public transit is, of course, covered by state preemption, and the fairground's policy uses the old "illegaler" stand by (prohibiting illegal weapons :rolleyes:).

So.... anyone have any experience with riding SKAT? Think the blurb is worth an email?

amzbrady

You are carrying a firearm, not a weapon. A weapon is meant to do harm to someone. A firearm is to prevent harm from happening to you.

What do ya think, Maybe? Should work, which means your ok.

ghosthunter

You are good to go I think. Another member here took on Skagit County last year (JBone) I think. The fair grounds had on their web page no firearms and on main gate fence. Both have been removed. I think he also took on the county jail about a safe storage for firearms. If I remember right he called and talked to the now sitting Skagit County Prosecuter and he ordered the changes.
As for Skat it is public transportation but I do not recall if a OC er has tested it yet.
Some of the more expereinced members here may remember.

Last edited:

amlevin

With all the immigrants from the South (both legal and otherwise) Skagit Transit is considering a change in "decor" to make them feel more at home

local_bus.jpg

jbone

You are good to go I think. Another member here took on Skagit County last year (JBone) I think. The fair grounds had on their web page no firearms and on main gate fence. Both have been removed. I think he also took on the county jail about a safe storage for firearms. If I remember right he called and talked to the now sitting Skagit County Prosecuter and he ordered the changes.
As for Skat it is public transportation but I do not recall if a OC er has tested it yet.
Some of the more expereinced members here may remember.

Wow! That was some time back "08" when we all tackled those issues and got the fairgrounds to change wording, which they changed to "illegal weapons", and use lockboxes at courthouse. It also seems not to long ago SVG ran into problems surrounding box issuing procedures, I believe he fixed.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?46383-Skagit-County-Court-House-in-Mount-Vernon-WA

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-Building-(otherwise-known-as-courthouse-etc)

Mr. Reilly was the contact back then.

Paul Reilly

WSBA # 10709

Civil Department

Skagit County Prosecuting

Attorney's Office

I didn’t look to see if he's still there, but the WSBA still shows him working in Skagit.http://www.mywsba.org/default.aspx?tabid=178&RedirectTabId=177&Usr_ID=10709

You should contact the transit department and see how they react to the poor wording, if no help, I’d contact the County Attorney’s Office, as they helped last time

Last edited:

amzbrady

With all the immigrants from the South (both legal and otherwise) Skagit Transit is considering a change in "decor" to make them feel more at home

local_bus.jpg

Will they have live chickens running loose inside the bus. In all actuality we are probably not far off from this. 50,000 latinos turn 18 EVERY MONTH, that is voting age.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Was just looking into the Skagit county fair this year. Long story short, found the following on the SKAT (Skagit Transit) "rules for riders" page:

Public transit is, of course, covered by state preemption, and the fairground's policy uses the old "illegaler" stand by (prohibiting illegal weapons :rolleyes:).

So.... anyone have any experience with riding SKAT? Think the blurb is worth an email?

Another little detail from state law (besides preemption) to include in your email.

RCW 9.91.025
Unlawful transit conduct.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful transit conduct if, while on or in a transit vehicle or in or at a transit station, he or she knowingly:

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing herein prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;