• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit renewal confusion

conhntr

So i goofed and let my permit expire. I generally open carry but like to have a permit "just in case" and i sometimes prefer to pocket carry a jframe depending on what im wearing/doing a duty belt and holster sometimes dosnt work !!!

Anyway here are details
My fairfax county issued permit expired in november 2012
Ive been a loudoun resident for 3 years

Questions

1 Can this still be filled as a renewal or do i need do a new application?
2. If it is a new apllication can i use the expired permit as proof of proficency
3. The most important i checked all over the loudoun county circuit court website but cant figure out if the permit must be submitted in person or if i can have it notarized and mailed? I really dont want to take a day off work, loose a day of pay, and spend it goofing around in the courthouse!!

Thanks

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, dear sweet and fluffy Zebu! You have done gone and re-opened a can of worms. And you have been here about 2 years, haven't you?

OCDO is a site pretty much dedicated to te open carry of handguns. We occassionally discuss concealed carry and the process whereby CHPs are issued, but usually only as it relates to the extra-legal or illegal activities of the Clerks.

The answer to your question is: "It depends." Some say if you ever had a CHP but let it expire it's still a renewal. Others say it's a new applicatiopn. Why do you care, if you are bound and determined to get a CHP?

Just go through the steps and let the Clerk pick which box to check.

Read up on what is permitted to be asked for, and know what is BS that you need to tell the Clerk is not allowed to be done/requested, and go in on the 46th day after the date stamped on your receipt and demand your Temporary CHP if the real one has not yet arrived.

And pray that Peter Nap considers this sufficient and does not add his thoughts - you really don't want to read them.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So i goofed and let my permit expire. I generally open carry but like to have a permit "just in case" and i sometimes prefer to pocket carry a jframe depending on what im wearing/doing a duty belt and holster sometimes dosnt work !!!

Anyway here are details

Questions

2. If it is a new apllication can i use the expired permit as proof of proficency
3. The most important i checked all over the loudoun county circuit court website but cant figure out if the permit must be submitted in person or if i can have it notarized and mailed? I really dont want to take a day off work, loose a day of pay, and spend it goofing around in the courthouse!!

Thanks

I can only answer #2 right off the top of my head. Even if you have to apply for a new permit, you are exempted from the training requirements with your old permit. Hell, I'm exempted and my permit expired in the 80's:lol: when there were no training requirements.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And pray that Peter Nap considers this sufficient and does not add his thoughts - you really don't want to read them.

Shucks...I'm in a good mood. I'm pretty sure I saw a road kill dog hunter this morning, crazydude's gonna knock on doors and Hillary has a brain clot. Now that's starting the year off right!

Animated-moving-creepy-knock-on-door.gif

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Anyway here are details

Questions

Thanks

Send me a plain text email at VaGunRights@gmail.com and I will assist you in Loudoun.

Ed

crazydude6030

Shucks...I'm in a good mood. I'm pretty sure I saw a road kill dog hunter this morning, crazydude's gonna knock on doors and Hillary has a brain clot. Now that's starting the year off right!

Animated-moving-creepy-knock-on-door.gif

Aww thanks Pete! You give me too much credit though. I am far to lazy to visit some numb nut deeper in nova than I care to normally go.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Aww thanks Pete! You give me too much credit though. I am far to lazy to visit some numb nut deeper in nova than I care to normally go.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Looks like I'm going to have sneak past the Ni river if the deal goes through for my new Deer rifle:uhoh:

photo2ig.jpg

half_life1052

Wow, I have one similar

That's a fancy scope you got there Peter, have you used a Burris Eliminator before? I have one of those on my FN FNAR. I have been itching to try it out at the advertised 800yds but haven't found the real estate to do it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's a fancy scope you got there Peter, have you used a Burris Eliminator before? I have one of those on my FN FNAR. I have been itching to try it out at the advertised 800yds but haven't found the real estate to do it.

It's not mine yet. We have been playing push pull for two days and now I think he went out for the 1st. I'm ready to pick it up now.
I'm not looking forward to feeding that thing $3.00 a pop ammo though.

Last edited: