• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry (Independence)

Desiree McCaslin

As my location says I live in Independence Mo. I couldn't believe it when I heard open carry is legal in Missouri...I thought I was dreaming lol
So here it is, my husband and I both want to open carry, I have tried doing my own research but whenever I search on any of the gov websites it just pulls up info on concealed carry. I have read quite a few posts on here and get the impression that it is legal in Independence. I plan on calling city hall etc. to double check but would like to see what you all have to say. Also if you have any info on Blue Springs, Raytown, or Kansas City(MO) that would be great!
I appreciate your time reading and responding, also the time you spent on your own research to find out. Thank you! :)

JEStucker

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=50014

That should be the link to the Independence Municipal Codes. If it doesn't work, use this http://www.ci.independence.mo.us/CityCode.aspx and click the "view codes" in the middle of the screen, should open it for you.

Welcome to the Forums, there are a few of us here from Independence, and yes, Open Carry is generally accepted, however there are still quite a few businesses that don't seem to want our money. I still tend to conceal more often than open carry, but I'm pretty comfortable either way around here. I haven't tried OC'ing in Blue Springs, though I hear its good to go there, as well as Grain Valley and Oak Grove. Not sure on Raytown, though inside actual Kansas City, Missouri city limits you're also good to go.

Hope you continue to hang around, there are a lot of good people here that are trying to help further citizens rights in Missouri.

Jim40Cal

As my location says I live in Independence Mo. I couldn't believe it when I heard open carry is legal in Missouri...I thought I was dreaming lol
So here it is, my husband and I both want to open carry, I have tried doing my own research but whenever I search on any of the gov websites it just pulls up info on concealed carry. I have read quite a few posts on here and get the impression that it is legal in Independence. I plan on calling city hall etc. to double check but would like to see what you all have to say. Also if you have any info on Blue Springs, Raytown, or Kansas City(MO) that would be great!
I appreciate your time reading and responding, also the time you spent on your own research to find out. Thank you! :)

I have been open carrying in Independence for about 5 years now. I have never had but one problem an that was at Richards Sunfresh (It's not Richards anymore) who after carrying in there many times decided one day I shouldn't. I also haven't been back. I also quit shopping at Price Chopper when they put a sign up. Other than thatI have been all over Independence an nothing. I have walked right by Indep police going into Walmart and they just look and go on..I have also been to about every restaurant in town,,nothing....I have a letther from the city attorney and police chief stating it is legal in Independence.

Jason Castillo

I thought the same thing when I heard you can open carry, in 2009. I have been doing it ever since! I have lived in blue springs, lee's summit and Independence, in that time and it is legal in those cities, and without confrontation with the police. Kc mo is legal as well. However I never have had any reason to go to Raytown (no prejudice there I just don't know anyone in that city) so I have not done the research.

BionicRooster

Welcome to Independence and the forum.

I've carried for almost 3 years now, rarely concealing, and haven't had any issues in Independence, Lees Summit, KC, Sedalia, Lebanon, Stover, or Cole Camp(little town, so most are gun nuts anyways).

I did have a Price Chopper stocker chase me down after I went in to buy a drink and was walking to my car, and asked me to leave it in my car next time, and I told him there won't be a next time, and he should have informed be BEFORE I had paid for my drink, so I could have went elsewhere for it. Last time I go there, I'll just stick to Hy-Vee, they have never had any issues, even when I walk up to the credit union tellers.

Jim40Cal

Welcome to Independence and the forum.

I've carried for almost 3 years now, rarely concealing, and haven't had any issues in Independence, Lees Summit, KC, Sedalia, Lebanon, Stover, or Cole Camp(little town, so most are gun nuts anyways).

I did have a Price Chopper stocker chase me down after I went in to buy a drink and was walking to my car, and asked me to leave it in my car next time, and I told him there won't be a next time, and he should have informed be BEFORE I had paid for my drink, so I could have went elsewhere for it. Last time I go there, I'll just stick to Hy-Vee, they have never had any issues, even when I walk up to the credit union tellers.

The credit union allows open carry because Hy-Vee allows it. I belong to the credit union. The credit union on 291 does not allow open carry...

Jim40Cal

The credit union allows open carry because Hy-Vee allows it. I belong to the credit union. The credit union on 291 does not allow open carry...

I quit shopping at Price Chopper the day they put a sign up. Also stopped shopping at Sun Fresh after 20 years of spending my money there....Only two places I have ever had trouble....

jbab

I myself just joined a few days ago. I have OC twice while at the Discount Smoke Shop by my house. Still researching and learning do's and don'ts. I have been following this site and learned a lot.

markwyz

Hello everyone, new to OC. I would come to the get together but I will be in Canada fishing. I'd like to attend the next meeting to learn more about everyone's experiences. Thanks

logunowner

Hello everyone, new to OC. I would come to the get together but I will be in Canada fishing. I'd like to attend the next meeting to learn more about everyone's experiences. Thanks

Can you say that you are going fishing in Canada on a open carry forum?? Just kidding, wish I was going. Have fun and good luck.