• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If asked...

sparkman2

I open carry almost everywhere I can, and if I can't I don't go there. I am curious as to how some of you respond to individuals asking you why you carry a firearm. I have been asked a couple of times why and my response always depends on the individual who is asking. I was asked by a mother once why I carry a firearm and I explained to her that as a father and as a husband, I have a duty and responsibility to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm. Another time a friend asked me and I told him that I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

It's funny how all the anti's out there question my right to protect my family and myself, tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to have firearms, and then hide behind the very same Constitution that protects their rights to speak those words to me. Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church.

I was just wondering what some of you have said and to have a better dialogue with those who ask.

Last edited:

sparkman2

Where there is no commitment to concord (union, harmony, stipulation, covenant)) there is no dialogue. One of the denoted meanings of dialogue is logical and rational expression.

I ignore challenges to my gun carry. I thank praise privately/discreetly.

I related here, not too long ago, a clothing malfunction that left my gun indiscreetly exposed to a kindhearted caution by a neighbor. We had never exchanged words of any sort before, but now we have a common interest.

I see your point and I agree. I for one live my life as simple as possible. It is these moments when asked a question pertaining to this particular topic, I feel that if I choose to respond to their question, my response should be logical, respectful, and not seem arrogant. I'm not responding to change their mind, I'm responding to their question as to why and the manner in which I respond could help or hurt their view of those of us who choose to open carry. Word of mouth can travel very fast, as that gun store owner in New Kent County found out, how you choose to respond to a question can really come back and bite you.
I had a similar occurrence awhile back. Was out and about and realized my zipper was not fully up so to speak. As someone else pointed out in this forum, it gave a whole new meaning to the words "open carry".:D

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church. ( only if you "conceal/hide from the public when you speak. )

I was just wondering what some of you have said and to have a better dialogue with those who ask.

SVG, myself and several others set up a booth(by invitation) at the "Gay Pride" music festival in B'ham last weekend. A gentleman kept asking us the usual questions and were gave him relevant answers because we were prepared for them. He would counter us and then go google answers to verify us. He must have asked, checked and asked again a dozen times before his mind opened like a sunrise and he admitted he understood and supported us.
On the other hand their was a very closed minded guy who took a (partial) copy of an ordinance excluding weapons from music festivals and he demanded that we be removed, he made an mwag call and was a general PIA for a while. Most laughed at him and he was asked to leave.
This is the difference between a mind that is open to education and one that is forever closed due to fear.

MKEgal

First, I don't carry weapons.
Weapons are intended to be used to harm, and I hope I never have to do that.

As for what I say when people ask me why I have a pistol, it depends on the situation & their attitude.

I carry because it's a civil right. Rights need no reasons or justification.

I carry to be able to protect myself.

I carry for education. (Showing other people that gun /= evil, murder, death, etc., as well as having a better idea of how to exercise their RKBA... heck, sometimes people don't even know that they're allowed to!)

I carry because criminals usually aren't stupid enough to attack someone when there's a cop around & there's rarely a cop around.

Also because in my city the police response time to serious emergencies is on average over 13 minutes (after the victim gets to a phone, and calls 911, and explains where s/he is & what the problem is), and I'd like to be alive & unharmed if they ever arrive.
(The criminal can be alive & unharmed if he doesn't attack me, or leaves once he realizes he's bitten off more than he can chew, or decides that lying on the ground spread-eagle & waiting for police is a good idea.)

Also because according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports database my city has the highest rate of violent crime in the state, generally by at least twice the rate of the next most violent city.

sparkman2

First, I don't carry weapons.
Weapons are intended to be used to harm, and I hope I never have to do that.

As for what I say when people ask me why I have a pistol, it depends on the situation & their attitude.

I carry because it's a civil right. Rights need no reasons or justification.

I carry to be able to protect myself.

I carry for education. (Showing other people that gun /= evil, murder, death, etc., as well as having a better idea of how to exercise their RKBA... heck, sometimes people don't even know that they're allowed to!)

I carry because criminals usually aren't stupid enough to attack someone when there's a cop around & there's rarely a cop around.

Also because in my city the police response time to serious emergencies is on average over 13 minutes (after the victim gets to a phone, and calls 911, and explains where s/he is & what the problem is), and I'd like to be alive & unharmed if they ever arrive.
(The criminal can be alive & unharmed if he doesn't attack me, or leaves once he realizes he's bitten off more than he can chew, or decides that lying on the ground spread-eagle & waiting for police is a good idea.)

Also because according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports database my city has the highest rate of violent crime in the state, generally by at least twice the rate of the next most violent city.

I wasn't concerned with being politically correct, just was posing a question to those here who wish to respond. To be fair I will edit my OP to reflect "firearm".

WalkingWolf

I have never been asked why I carry, sometimes "Are those real". Why I carry is my own business, and I would probably relay that if ever asked why.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Why do you carry a gun?"/"Why are you carrying a gun?"

"Why aren't you?"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you plan to protect yourself if someone tries to harm you?"

"Why would anybody do that? I'm not a bad person."

"But anybody that would try to harm you would be a bad person, right?"

"Well, I could always call the police."

"And they would come after that bad person harmed you. What good would they be then?"

"Oh." .... (wait for it).... "But why would anybody try to harm you if they saw you are carrying a gun?" .... (wait for it again) ...."Oh." .... (wait some more) .... "So can just anybody carry a gun? Don't you need some sort of license?"

"Carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right."

"Oh."

"Here is some information about your right to carry a gun and what the laws are about carrying a gun. You can go to the websites on the bottom [of the card - OCDO & VCDL in the case of the cards I hand out] to find out more about it.

"OK. Thanks."

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I generally weigh my response based upon the individual who has asked the question; how I perceive them, their demeanor and sense of humor. I tend to prefer comical responses but do hold those in abeyance most of the time. So it usually boils down to something like this.

"Why do you carry a firearm?" or "Why do you carry like that?"
"So I don't have to use it."

I have found this to be both non-threatening to the person asking and gives them pause as they try to make some sense of it. This gives me the opportunity to engage them in conversation and I have yet to have a bad time of it with someone who has asked me similar questions.

"Why do you carry a firearm?"

"I have some medical issues that preclude me from fighting or running as I was once able to do. This makes me a perfect victim and I would rather not be one of those."

Once I explain those medical issues, they understand. Other questions tend to ensue and the encounter winds up good for both parties.

conhntr

"Why do you carry a gun?"/"Why are you carrying a gun?"

"Why aren't you?"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you plan to protect yourself if someone tries to harm you?"

"Why would anybody do that? I'm not a bad person."

"But anybody that would try to harm you would be a bad person, right?"

"Well, I could always call the police."

"And they would come after that bad person harmed you. What good would they be then?"

"Oh." .... (wait for it).... "But why would anybody try to harm you if they saw you are carrying a gun?" .... (wait for it again) ...."Oh." .... (wait some more) .... "So can just anybody carry a gun? Don't you need some sort of license?"

"Carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right."

"Oh."

"Here is some information about your right to carry a gun and what the laws are about carrying a gun. You can go to the websites on the bottom [of the card - OCDO & VCDL in the case of the cards I hand out] to find out more about it.

"OK. Thanks."

stay safe.

Have had that exact conversation many times!!

Alot of times it goes to "well if people didnt have guns then there would..."

"Ah yes the good ol law of the jungle!"

Marco

I open carry almost everywhere I can, and if I can't I don't go there. I am curious as to how some of you respond to individuals asking you why you carry a firearm. I have been asked a couple of times why and my response always depends on the individual who is asking. I was asked by a mother once why I carry a firearm and I explained to her that as a father and as a husband, I have a duty and responsibility to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm. Another time a friend asked me and I told him that I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

It's funny how all the anti's out there question my right to protect my family and myself, tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to have firearms, and then hide behind the very same Constitution that protects their rights to speak those words to me. Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church.

I don't have a canned response but I try to stay polite and informative.
While I might not change the mind of the person asking questions I might influence or educate someone else in ear shot.

20+ yrs Ocing and yet to have an anti rights idiot get hostile with me, must be my smile.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

waffle house

Sunday at waffle house while waiting 30 min for a table, I was asked what kind of gun it was. I replied sub compact .45. He replied how much was it. I replied $600. He said isnt that expensive, I said isnt your life worth $600.

WalkingWolf

Sunday at waffle house while waiting 30 min for a table, I was asked what kind of gun it was. I replied sub compact .45. He replied how much was it. I replied $600. He said isnt that expensive, I said isnt your life worth $600.

Honestly my life is worth over a quarter million dollars, that is the cost of several heart procedures. Would I spend over a quarter million dollars on a a handgun? OHHH HELL NO!

You can protect yourself with a free handgun if the handgun works. Money has no effectiveness(unless you can afford multiple armed body guards) on self defense. Numerous times people have used SNS to stop/kill an attacker. I have a PA-63 that I paid 60 dollars for over ten years ago, it actually has saved me from harm(charging large pit bull), where my most expensive gun has not. Please stop using that line, it is not only not true, it makes you look like a gun snob.

I had a CW Enfield musket that I gave to my son, worth well over a grand. Is my life worth carrying a gun just based on cost alone? Ohhh hell no, but your mileage may vary.

ETA large police depts pay on average around $200 for service pistols, it that all their life is worth?

Last edited:

OC for ME

Why do you carry a gun?

Snarky retort: "A cell phone is notoriously ineffective at stopping a thug from harming me or my family."

Rational response: "Nothing illegal about that."

FattyKrack

Honestly my life is worth over a quarter million dollars, that is the cost of several heart procedures. Would I spend over a quarter million dollars on a a handgun? OHHH HELL NO!

You can protect yourself with a free handgun if the handgun works. Money has no effectiveness(unless you can afford multiple armed body guards) on self defense. Numerous times people have used SNS to stop/kill an attacker. I have a PA-63 that I paid 60 dollars for over ten years ago, it actually has saved me from harm(charging large pit bull), where my most expensive gun has not. Please stop using that line, it is not only not true, it makes you look like a gun snob.

I had a CW Enfield musket that I gave to my son, worth well over a grand. Is my life worth carrying a gun just based on cost alone? Ohhh hell no, but your mileage may vary.

ETA large police depts pay on average around $200 for service pistols, it that all their life is worth?
Given the scenario and the way it came up, I say it was a good response. Maybe if he was wearing a hi-point... Honestly I don't get your acidity towards it. Is it regarding human life with monetary value that upsets you? Or that he wasn't quick enough with a better response?
What is your example of what to say, I do ask?

WalkingWolf

Given the scenario and the way it came up, I say it was a good response. Maybe if he was wearing a hi-point... Honestly I don't get your acidity towards it. Is it regarding human life with monetary value that upsets you? Or that he wasn't quick enough with a better response?
What is your example of what to say, I do ask?

It comes from the only people who say that are gun snobs, or fanboys of one gun or another. It is a justification, that has no bearing in fact, to validate spending money when none is needed. Now he may not be a gun snob or fanboy, but it is the typical response from those groups.

I would have just said the gun is worth it for me, and left it at that. There are guns out there that would sell for 100,000 or more that would not be suitable for self defense carry. As far as human monetary value that is as insulting as it gets, life is priceless.

WalkingWolf

Why do you carry a gun?

Snarky retort: "A cell phone is notoriously ineffective at stopping a thug from harming me or my family."

Rational response: "Nothing illegal about that."

Good example, because when a person uses a smart arse retort, they are a smart arse. And that does nothing to educate, or further carry.

If the person asking is being a a-hole, the best response is none, avoid confrontation. If the person is just curious there is no reason to be a jerk.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good example, because when a person uses a smart arse retort, they are a smart arse. And that does nothing to educate, or further carry.

If the person asking is being a a-hole, the best response is none, avoid confrontation. If the person is just curious there is no reason to be a jerk.
Being a jerk will likely get you remembered (and all of us)......for all of the wrong reasons.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Being a jerk will likely get you remembered (and all of us)......for all of the wrong reasons.

So true. Whether or not we agree with this, we are all ambassadors for the right to carry; both openly and concealed. You will be judged by your demeanor, character, general appearance, and how you conduct yourself. It's a simple fact of life and like it or not we all do this. It behooves every one of us to think about this whenever we exit our homes and enter the public domain.