• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show at the Jefferson County Fair Park - Sept 3, 4, 5

The Don

Here's all the information I have...

-------------------
September 2010 Events
Sept 3-5

Gun Show - Marv Kraus Promotions
September 3 - 5
Contact Information: Marv Kraus 563/933-2503

Jefferson County Fair Park
503 N Jackson Ave, Jefferson, WI 53549
---------------------

I've gone to it the past two years. It's not as big as the one in Madison at the Marriott by Greenway Station or Milwaukee at State Fair Park, but it's decent.

The Don

I have a call in to the show organizer to find out if OC is allowed or not. I'll let you know his response once I hear back.

Marv Kraus is his name, if any of you are familiar with him.

The Don

Sorry, I was just posting it for informational purposes.

No, I'm not a member of WCI and I'm not requesting a booth. If you guys want to do a booth, that's up to you.

I just called Marv Kraus to figure out if I should attempt to OC there or not since the little blurb of info on the JeffCoFairgrounds website didn't say anything about OC.

If this is outside of the norm, I'll forgo it in the future.

Spartacus

Banned
Spartacus:
Who died and made you boss? Some of us like that information.

Don't be silly. Are you still in grade school?

Just stating a fact. This place would be a *********** if everybody just listed all the gun shows in the state with no purpose.

Its quite another thing if any organization that promotes oc wants to set up a table to advance the cause.

J.Gleason

Banned
Many others have posted about Gun Shows here. In fact there was just a thread about the Oshkosh gun show.

Who cares. It all deals with OC one way or another. Many people who go to gun shows are looking for hand guns for OC. Some are even looking to see if there is a booth for info on OC.

Let's stop the nit picking and move on. Think before you type.

Spartacus

Banned
Many others have posted about Gun Shows here. In fact there was just a thread about the Oshkosh gun show.

No...

It was about representing the cause at the show and Hubert asking for help at the table, not just announcing the Oshkosh show. You remember that thread... the one where you insulted me but I didn't cry to John about it and get your post deleted like you do all the time?

Get your facts straight.

The Don

I think based on the feedback, I'll post again in the future for the 2 or 3 shows a year that are held in Jefferson.

1. People seem to be interested in it.
2. I also would be interested to know about other shows.
3. If no one comments the thread pushes off the first page soon enough.
4. I doubt as many people from Wisconsin who might be interested would see it in the General Discussion forum across all states.

If anyone has a big enough problem with it that they want to complain in another 3 to 6 months, then so be it.

J.Gleason

Banned
No worries Don. Post away. I am sure you will have good opportunity to pass out some fliers there.
In fact walking around handing out fliers may very well reach more people then having a booth.
I just came off of vacation otherwise I might show up there myself, maybe next time.

The Don

holster question

thanks for the link Spartacus.

So while I'm at the gun show I'm going to look for a good holster for OCing. Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm looking at a holster specifically for OCing?

I've tried doing some searches, but all I've found so far is discussion about comfort, wear, the merits of different brands, etc, but nothing about holster attributes specific to OC.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a holster either for my HK USP .45 Tactical or my FN 5.7.

Thanks!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Blackhawk SERPA

Good morning. My CCW is an H&K USPc in .40.

My OCW is an SA1911A1 that I carry in a SERPA. I selected it based on price and evident durability. Some, that would eagerly infringe the 2A, consider retention an essential requirement for exercise of the RKABA.

I caution "Beware the evil paradigm of consideration, expectation and then requirement." Here, yes, "retention" should be considered but do not allow it to be expected as a requirement for a legally armed citizen.

I CCW'd in SC for about ten years. The last few carrying my CCW Mexican X-draw style when I wasn't on my bicycle when I used a concealing chest pack holster.

Continuing as introduction; my dress gun, that I hope to be able wear properly, someday is an Interarms Luger in black satin.

Last edited:

OCmyXD

Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm looking at a holster specifically for OCing?

Based on the news story a month or so back about the fellow in Milwaukee who was disarmed of his own sidearm, I would say a solid retention system would be a major selling point for me. I have heard good things about the Blackhawk Serpa line. My current holster is a paddle version of the one that came with my XD. The paddle helps increase comfort on the hip, instead of having the weight on your belt.

Part of me is holding off because I would rather invest the money in a nice cc holster for my XD. No need to purchase that until it is useful here in WI.

The Don

Thanks for the information Doug. I'll checkout the Blackhawk SERPA.

Anyone else have any holsters they use and recommend?

*edit*
Thanks OCmyXD

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a holster either for my HK USP .45 Tactical or my FN 5.7.

Nice guns. I think better of you now. lol

The HK is easy. You will have a whole range of choices.

I'm envious of your FN. I want one! Holster choices will be a bit tougher here as you will be limited to military style for a while until if and when they catch on with the general population.

I'm not sure I would use the FN for daily carry anyway even though it is lightweight and holds up to 30 rounds which would be authoritative in a firefight. With that much muzzle velocity you may shoot through your human target and then through a few parked cars and hit the old lady crossing the street 5 blocks down... just sayin'.

The Don

Doug, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with Spartacus or not. Could you clarify?

Spartacus, yeah, over penetration is something I'm concerned about with the 5.7, but from what I've seen online with holsters for the HK, since it's a Tactical with the higher front site, I'm actually somewhat limited on my selection on those.

If anyone with a Tactical HK .45 has any experience with any holsters specific to that, carrying that would be my preference.

My only other options are my Taurus .357 revolver, my wife's Walther P22, or my Bushmaster Type 97...all of which are undesirable (or pointless) for open carry for one reason or another.

Or buying something new, which is fine with me, but wouldn't make the wife exceedingly happy.