• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

+4 For Gun Owners in Washington!!!

swatspyder

At least 5 shot, 1 killed in Lakebay home-invasion robbery
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/10/07/1373483/home-invasion-robbery-turns-into.html

At least five people were shot tonight, one fatally, when a home-invasion robbery went sideways in the Lakebay area.

The incident occurred around 8:30 p.m. when multiple robbers broke into a house.

“The homeowner fired rounds at the suspects and the suspects fired rounds back,” said Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer.

One suspect was killed in the gunfight. Three other suspects have called 911 from different locations to report their injuries, Troyer said.
:banana:

“We have four hot active scenes right now,” he added.

The locations are not being disclosed for safety reasons. Several more suspects are unaccounted for and likely armed. Someone in the house is also believed to have been shot. Their condition is unknown.

Pierce County and Gig Harbor firefighters also responded.

dadada

Guys, it appears the good guys might have had a marijuana grow in their house, hence the reason for the home invasion.

devildoc5

for the pure and simple reason that I am PROUD that someone was RESPONSIBLE enough to take their own security into their own hands and not rely on others (police or anyone else) to do so for them.

They were (at least at the time) responsible enough to pull the trigger, despite and possible side effects. They were (again apparently) calm enough in that situation to hit thier targets and protect their family.

I am happy with HOW it happened, not the end result of people (even BG's) being dead. I AM however happy that the homeowner was "cool, calm, and collected" at least from all the initial reports and that (aside from the whole cannabis thing) did everything "by the book."

It is more a tears of pride though.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Felons

I'm in favor of people defending their property, but when the "property" is illegal then this is not a "good" shoot. By the way what is "Heavily Strapped"? This is not good guy vs. bad guy, this is bg vs. bg. let's not glamorize it.

Dave Workman

I'm in favor of people defending their property, but when the "property" is illegal then this is not a "good" shoot. By the way what is "Heavily Strapped"? This is not good guy vs. bad guy, this is bg vs. bg. let's not glamorize it.

Bravo to you, SpyderTatoo and others for being able to keep this in perspective.
Right now, it's not clear that there were really any "good guys" as we typically identify them.

Keep this in perspective. When the dust settles a little, a certain element is going to ignore the fact that this was a dope rip-off gone bad, and concentrate on the "easy availability of guns" that made this possible.

Probably a bit too early to start cheering.

amlevin

+1

The reason for the break in is irrelavant. Breaking and entering is a crime.

However if one is involved in an illegal activity the right to use Self Defense might come into question.

This somewhat like two competing bank robbers showing up at the same time. One shoots the other. Can he then claim Self Defense?

Hopefully this thread won't deteriorate into a "Pot should be legal" fur-ball.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
However if one is involved in an illegal activity the right to use Self Defense might come into question.

This somewhat like two competing bank robbers showing up at the same time. One shoots the other. Can he then claim Self Defense?

Hopefully this thread won't deteriorate into a "Pot should be legal" fur-ball.

I don't like that analogy.

Suppose in my home it is known I have firearms. Because I have something someone else wants I am a target of criminals. If I defend my self in my home, it is self defense.

Suppose in my home I have a weekly high stakes poker game. There is several thousand dollars in cash involved. Thus it becomes the target of criminals, do I have less of a right to defend myself upon a break in? I think not, as once they cross the threshold of my home and are visibly armed (as in this case with a shotgun) I have the right to defend myself.

Now we have a break in because of another item that a criminal wants. Yes the home owner increased his 'target' to other criminals, but does that limit his right to self defense? I think not. Is it a good idea to engage in an illegal or 'quasi-illegal' activity in your home? No.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No matter how some want to slice this and try to justify the large marijuana grow, it is engaging into an illegal activity and resulting in a home invasion, no sympathy here. Victimless Crime, Yeah Right.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Armed-robbery-shooting-on-Key-Peninsula-104545639.html

LAKEBAY, Wash. – An attempted invasion robbery at a home on Key Peninsula that housed a large marijuana grow operation turned into a gun battle between the owner and the robbers Thursday night. One robber is dead, at least two other people are wounded and as many as four people may be on the run in the neighborhood.

maclean

Bravo to you, SpyderTatoo and others for being able to keep this in perspective.
Right now, it's not clear that there were really any "good guys" as we typically identify them.

Keep this in perspective. When the dust settles a little, a certain element is going to ignore the fact that this was a dope rip-off gone bad, and concentrate on the "easy availability of guns" that made this possible.

Probably a bit too early to start cheering.

+1

Dave Workman

Keep in perspective the nature of this crime and recall the line out of "No Country For Old Men" in which Tommy Lee Jones said drug dealers died of natural causes.

"Natural for the line of work they were in."