• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visible shotgun on motorcycle.

buckcr250r

Banned
so what's the law with this i searched for about 10 hours and it seems kinda grey. carry a shotgun in a saddle bag with 3/4 to 1/2 of it showing. assuming your able to own it, has a trigger lock, lock secures it in place, unloaded. i live in illinois btw.

eye95

Well, if you are looking for an answer, may I make two suggestions?

First, post your question in the Illinois forum. The States are listed in alphabetical order at the bottom of the main index.

Second, it usually does not pay to be snarky to the folks you are asking for help.

buckcr250r

Banned
i'm here to stay and i do own a few guns and two motorcycles. sorry if i came off as rude. consider myself as a gun nut, ps3 nut, motocross nut, ect. no hard feelings. it just seemed dead in the illinois section so i asked here. btw i turned 21 a few weeks ago.

just trying to learn my rights that's all.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,,

grape was posting while i was doing your research:lol:

How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?

Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:
1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
Source: Illinois State Police titled “Transport Your Gun Legally” – Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms. George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director.
(Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois, ISP Central Printing Section, ISP 1-154 [8-00] 70M).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
grape was posting while i was doing your research:lol:

Two different divergent locations, aiming at a common target, is oft referred to as "triangulation." It is very effective, especially when both are on target. :lol:

Yours is more specific and a dead center shot.
icon14.png

buckcr250r

Banned
i posted exactly what i'm about to say in like 4 forums...what is considered enclosed? most of it showing, half of it showing, leather flap covering the top of it? i like to get to it easily IF needed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i posted exactly what i'm about to say in like 4 forums...what is considered enclosed? most of it showing, half of it showing, leather flap covering the top of it? i like to get to it easily IF needed.

Enclosed does NOT been partly visible - that much is common sense.

Enclosed generally means in a container that restricts access and unloaded being another cited requirement, fairly well precludes getting to it easily. In fact, I am sure that is the intention - transportation being allowed, but quick access not.

Suggest you run this by legal council or get involved and learn to research.
Illinois statutes and municipal ordinances are a nightmare of cross application - city and county ordinances may effect you too. Good luck.

1245A Defender

well,,,,

enclosed - definition of enclosed by the Free Online Dictionary ...

en·close ( n-kl z ) also in·close ( n-). tr.v. en·closed also in·closed, en·clos·ing also in·clos·ing, en·clos·es also in·clos·es ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/enclosed - Cached - Similar

you strike me as one lazy guy:cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
so where does it say it has to be in a full case? if it's locked in place out in the open with a key doesn't that restrict access?

1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
Unless specifically exempted from UUW, a person commits a Class 4 Felony if he or she violates the UUW law
in the Criminal Code (i.e., unlawfully carries on their person or illegally transports a firearm in a vehicle) AND
one or more of the following aggravating factors apply:
(1) The firearm possessed was uncased, loaded, and immediately accessible at the time of the offense;
(2) The firearm possessed was uncased, unloaded, and the ammunition for the weapon was immediately
accessible at the time of the offense;
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

If those cites aren't good enough for you or if you purely want to be argumentative, then I suggest that you do what you will and ride around Chicago for a couple of days and let us know how that works out for you - otherwise the question has been asked and answered.

JoeSparky

Centurion
UNLESS Illinois codes say differently, a soft sided zippered rifle case would fit for "enclosed." Unloaded and FOID card would be up to you. How you secure the stuff to your bike or saddlebags is entirely up to you....

Motofixxer

enclosed - definition of enclosed by the Free Online Dictionary ...

en·close ( n-kl z ) also in·close ( n-). tr.v. en·closed also in·closed, en·clos·ing also in·clos·ing, en·clos·es also in·clos·es ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/enclosed - Cached - Similar

When dealing with Law and Statutes it's wise to use Legal definitions, not dictionary. There can be and IS very different meanings to simple terms. Using the wrong word, can have very drastic complications in a system built on words.

eye95

When dealing with Law and Statutes it's wise to use Legal definitions, not dictionary. There can be and IS very different meanings to simple terms. Using the wrong word, can have very drastic complications in a system built on words.

OK, so what is the legal definition in Illinois? Because, absent one, the courts will use the commonly accepted definition, usually found in a dictionary.