• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Stripe CCW Permit?

PracticalTactical

Somebody in another thread said that people with a black stripe permit get extra privileges.

I asked in the thread and somebody said that it was for instructors.

What's the deal with this?

MKEgal

They don't get "extra privileges", but they're considered sort of a specialized LEO (if someone can come up w/ a better description, I'll be happy to use that), and if they see a "general-purpose" LEO behaving badly in re firearms laws they can call a special # at the UT BCI, give their instructor #, & be immediately connected to an investigator...
Who will then contact the officer's department, which won't go well for the LEO who forgot her/his training (or UT firearm laws).

This only applies to UT cc instructors who are UT residents.

Also see response #21 in the original thread (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92225-Anyone-ever-have-this-problem)
which is from a UT cc instructor:
jpm84092 said:
When I took my instructor training we were told that if we heard horror stories like yours from our students, we were to refer the person with the horror story to BCI. And, if we witnessed one to call BCI and identify ourselves as instructors - and would be immediately referred to a BCI Investigator who would pay a call on the misinformed LEO.

And response #36 in the original thread, where you asked the same question:
What's a black stripe permit, LEO?
Sort of a LEO... a very specialized sort.
Those are issued to UT BCI cc instructors.
I'm told that seeing a black stripe permit makes for a very quick attitude adjustment on the part of a LEO who seems to need updated training about UT firearms laws. Wish we had something similar in WI.

Last edited:

jpm84092

An Important Distinction

I have to disagree with the person quoted by MKEGAL who said BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructors (Black Stripe Permit) are "sort of a LEO". Such a statement is misinformed. We are not employees of BCI and have no law enforcement powers beyond those enjoyed by any other Citizen of Utah. We are merely Certified by Utah to teach the course required to obtain a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

We have been encouraged by BCI to report any misinterpretation of Utah Firearm Law by LEOs that we observe to BCI Investigators and to refer any persons who believe they were subject to an incorrect interpretation of Utah Firearms Laws to BCI for further investigation.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
+1 to JPM's comments. It is merely a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit that has a black top instead of a red top to indicated that the holder is also an instructor.

Maybe an instructor here could post a scan of their black top card?

Utah-CFP-Sample-Small.png

Deepdiver36

I have to disagree with the person quoted by MKEGAL who said BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructors (Black Stripe Permit) are "sort of a LEO". Such a statement is misinformed. We are not employees of BCI and have no law enforcement powers beyond those enjoyed by any other Citizen of Utah. We are merely Certified by Utah to teach the course required to obtain a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

We have been encouraged by BCI to report any misinterpretation of Utah Firearm Law by LEOs that we observe to BCI Investigators and to refer any persons who believe they were subject to an incorrect interpretation of Utah Firearms Laws to BCI for further investigation.

I saw the other thread and the person that MKEgal quoted was him/herself. Apparently quoting yourself applies a sense of validity to it?

Serious misinformation on her part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ItsaSecret

I just want to say that I'm glad that BCI takes seriously the issue of misinformed LEOs. That's very heartening to me.

jpm84092

I just want to say that I'm glad that BCI takes seriously the issue of misinformed LEOs. That's very heartening to me.

Specifically, what we have been told is that if we witness any misinterpretation of Utah or Federal Firearms laws by any Utah LEO, we are to call BCI and identify ourselves as Concealed Firearm Permit Instructors giving our permit number and we will be put right through to a BCI Investigator (a member of UHP) - or - if an Investigator is not immediately available, he will call us right back.

If we hear of a misinterpretation of Utah of Federal Firearms laws from another person, we are to encourage them to contact BCI directly and explain that they have been asked to do so by a BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit instructor. An investigator will be assigned and take a statement from the individual.

If the investigator concurs that a misinterpretation of law has taken place, he will have an "official contact" with the LEO in question and his/her superiors.

So yes, BCI takes misinterpretation of firearms laws very seriously; particularly if it is a Utah LEO that has misinterpreted them.