• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please welcome me to Colorado!

learn2shoot

Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago. I got to drive cross country which was really exciting! I now live in Aurora near Buckley and Hampden I commute to Buckley AFB where I work doing stuff as a contractor. Some days I drive, some days I bike (ok I have only biked for 4 days so far). I am married with 1 & 8/9 children ages 2.75 and -.1111. I have been a shooter since age 6. I grew up in upstate NY, and have lived in MD, VA and now CO. I love it here already, and have no plans to ever move out of the state. I have not done much shooting since arriving here (one trip to the Firing Line).

In VA I owned a small firearms instruction school, but mostly helped people get their CCW permits for VA/UT. I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.

Gunslinger

Welcome to Colorado. I moved here from VA, although I was at Hanscom AFB in MA working as a GS, 6 years ago. And this is where I'll stay. Lot's of great info on the forum, and the CO section is a very active one. This is a free state, like VA, so you'll feel right at home. Just don't OC in the PDR of Denver.

M-Taliesin

Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago. I got to drive cross country which was really exciting! I now live in Aurora near Buckley and Hampden
<snip>
I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.

Howdy Amigo!
I live not far from you, near Buckley and Colfax.
I plan to have a meet and greet in the near future. On my next day off I expect all find some place in the aurora area to have a meet and greet. Keep an eye on this forum for more details as they become available. I hope to hold such in a bit within the next couple or 3 weeks.

Until then I'll be a looking forward to meeting you.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

PikesPeakMtnMan

Welcome to Colorado...I'm pretty sure the Virginia folks do more OC dinners and such but we here get together once in a while (though I haven't been to any of the more recent ones).

Firearm friendly-wise you probably won't notice a lot of difference from VA, more so the farther from the metro area you get. As has been mentioned, just don't OC in Denver city limits, virtually everywhere else is just fine (normal exceptions of course).

JamesB

Welcome to Colorado. I moved here from VA, although I was at Hanscom AFB in MA working as a GS, 6 years ago. And this is where I'll stay. Lot's of great info on the forum, and the CO section is a very active one. This is a free state, like VA, so you'll feel right at home. Just don't OC in the PDR of Denver.

Ya, what he said.

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between here and there is that there is no silly law about must not CC while drinking alcohol. Basically everything else is the same. I would also like to echo what others have said and say, please do not open carry within the limits of Denver. You just won't be happy with the results of it.

Welcome here, and welcome home.

JamesB

Howdy Amigo!
I plan to have a meet and greet in the near future. On my next day off I expect all find some place in the aurora area to have a meet and greet. Keep an eye on this forum for more details as they become available. I hope to hold such in a bit within the next couple or 3 weeks.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I'm planning to be out of town from the 14th through the 20th. Other than that, just tell me when and where. You were nice enough to come to my side of town couple of weeks back. I'd love to return the favor. -no sushi?-

Keens

Howdy Amigo!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Sounds like there's some interest in an Aurora OC meet up! I'm up for it, as I'm taking a paid week long vacation off work starting Sept 26 (I never work weekends, so makes it a longer vacay!!). Need some help M-T setting up an OC meet up?

Keens

Welcome to Colorado! Join us for an OC meet-up! Just avoid the PDR of Denver like the bubonic plaque!

M-Taliesin

Welcome to Colorado! Join us for an OC meet-up! Just avoid the PDR of Denver like the bubonic plaque!

Howdy Again!
I'd also suggest staying out of the county of Denver. Not enough just to avoid the city of Denver, but also stay out of Denver County. City and County of Denver are like one megalithic entity that loves to bust people and often with the most flimsy of grounds. There are plenty of horror stories coming out of the City of Denver, but I'm almost certain one would not fare any better in Denver County. Best to avoid the whole sheebang!

And I regret that I failed to properly welcome you to Colorado, so... here goes... ready?... here it comes now... I can feel it!!!

WELCOME ABOARD AMIGO! GLAD TO HAVE YOU JOIN US HERE!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Just because it hasn't been said, note that OC is illegal in Denver. That's beyond the PD having a bad repuation for excessive force.

entartet17

Welcome to CO! I live in Aurora near Parker and Quincy. I'd be interested in a meet up. I haven't been able to attend one for a long time. The only problem is my hectic work schedule. Someone throw out a date and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

learn2shoot

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and the OC advice on Denver county/city. I don't really want to be the test case :) I am not a stats guy by trade but do use it from time to time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hello guys (gals) I moved from Virginia to Colorado about 2 months ago.

Welcome! I used to live in Virginia (went to HS and college there), and moved here about 2 years ago.

I was hoping to jump in if there was a get together perhaps an OC lunch or something.

There's usually something on the horizon either near you or near me. Sometimes we actually drive an hour to get to the other place. :)

Dynamite Rabbit

Howdy Again!
I'd also suggest staying out of the county of Denver. Not enough just to avoid the city of Denver, but also stay out of Denver County. City and County of Denver are like one megalithic entity that loves to bust people and often with the most flimsy of grounds. There are plenty of horror stories coming out of the City of Denver, but I'm almost certain one would not fare any better in Denver County. Best to avoid the whole sheebang!

I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out :), but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City. The courts are unified -- no separate municipal and county court. I'm just about positive that the Mountain Parks are simply property owned by the City and County of Denver, but physically in other counties (and not really considered "Denver County"). I could be wrong, though!

I'm curious what law enforcement role the Denver Sheriff's Office has, other than process serving and running the jail. I haven't spent any time researching that. I'm also curious if the City and County of Broomfield has the same setup.

Keens

I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out :), but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City. The courts are unified -- no separate municipal and county court. I'm just about positive that the Mountain Parks are simply property owned by the City and County of Denver, but physically in other counties (and not really considered "Denver County"). I could be wrong, though!

I'm curious what law enforcement role the Denver Sheriff's Office has, other than process serving and running the jail. I haven't spent any time researching that. I'm also curious if the City and County of Broomfield has the same setup.

The Denver Sheriffs Office does not have any real powers as far as law enforcement. They mainly focus on prisoners in jail, transport of prisoners, court security, bail issues, etc. They can't even ticket a homeless drunk with a Busch beer in a brown bag drinking on a public park bench! It's the PDR of Denver! Jeez, a Denver Judge signed my divorce decree IN PENCIL!! Just tells you how retarded Denver is!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't know why I made it my mission to straighten this out :), but the City and County of Denver are one and the same. There is no territory in the County that isn't also in the City.

You are correct! Here's a map for everyone's enjoyment. The green lines are the outlines of Denver County. Some statute extended the city boundaries out to those of the county. Jacksonville, FL did the same thing several decades ago, as have other cities.

Denver-CityandCounty-smaller.jpg

Here's a much larger version - 1.5 MB

And here's a map of Denver neighborhoods:

View attachment 6897

Last edited:

Dynamite Rabbit

I live in Denver city , Arapahoe county. We're part of a unincorporated area, as such Aurora PD patrol our neighborhood even though it says Denver on my mail.

BTW... Welcome!!
Are you sure you live in Denver? Unincorporated areas are just that -- not part of a municipality. Your mailing address is the city the post office is in, but that doesn't mean you actually live in that city. Our mail used to be delivered to a town 15 miles away, and our mailing address was that town. When our town got a post office our mailing address changed to the town we live in.