• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is Alabama Law in this circumstance:

SFCRetired

I just read this thread in the Wisconsin forum:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-with-my-car-while-carrying-and-shot-the-deer..

What is the law in Alabama?

Should one of us have such an accident, what do you think would be the probable outcome if we did as this individual (rightly) did?

I don't think I could stand there and watch an animal suffer, but I also do not want to get into a financial bind for doing what I consider to be the right thing.

Daylen

Use your knife. Its illegal to discharge a firearm on the road. and don't slit the throat, that's for idiots, puncture the heart.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Personally, I would want to shoot the deer. Seeing how that is not legal, I would probably leave the deer to die. It is my understanding that injured deer can be quite dangerous. Correct me if I'm wrong.

SFCRetired

Personally, I would want to shoot the deer. Seeing how that is not legal, I would probably leave the deer to die. It is my understanding that injured deer can be quite dangerous. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. Any wild animal can be dangerous. A deer, injured or not, buck or doe, will cut you to shreds with their hooves. Bucks are more dangerous when in rut and does are more dangerous if they are protecting a fawn.

The only way I would try to use a knife on a deer is if it were incapable of turning on me. I've seen what a deer can do to a human being. No thank you.

Daylen

Very prudent.

After this discussion I realized I am missing a tool in my toolbox, a long blade. Now I'll have to consider putting a rapier in my truck...

SFCRetired

Very prudent.

After this discussion I realized I am missing a tool in my toolbox, a long blade. Now I'll have to consider putting a rapier in my truck...

A cavalry saber would be much better. Either that or a katana. Come to think of it, a claymore (the sword, not the mine) would be best.

Daylen

A cavalry saber would be much better. Either that or a katana. Come to think of it, a claymore (the sword, not the mine) would be best.

A saber might be nice were I horseback, but on the ground such a weapon is not nearly as effective. Claymore's went out of common use with the middle ages for a good reason, better weapons were abound. The rapier was used long after such a large sword because of superior qualities, light weight, and deadlier because of its greater penetrative qualities. Katana's are heavy, require two hands for proper use, are ridiculously expensive and still have inferior penetrative qualities. A rapier fits the need of being able to quickly, accurately and precisely stab something (for this thread a deer) through the heart. A spear could also fit the bill but has size problems, the swords you listed would be far less suited to this task and more suited to the task of making a mess and brutally mauling a deer. I said rapier instead of dirk, dagger or stiletto because with a rapier I would not have to stoop or kneel or bend over to dispatch a deer.

Kirbinator

"It was severely injured and trying to get up. I was in fear of my life."

"You ever seen those videos on Youtube? A doe can f*** you up."

Or you can go "Jimbo" on it: "IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!!"

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

My step dad while on duty (police officer) was walking down a side walk when a deer was hit in the middle of an intersection. Just as he was about to walk over to make sure everyone was ok the deer jumped up, took one look at him, and charged at him. Says he'd never draw his gun so fast. Emptied all 6 .357 rounds into the deer.

Last edited:

Daylen

My step dad while on duty (police officer) was walking down a side walk when a deer was hit in the middle of an intersection. Just as he was about to walk over to make sure everyone was ok the deer jumped up, took one look at him, and charged at him. Says he'd never draw his gun so fast. Emptied all 6 .357 rounds into the deer.

I think the 21' rule needs to be extended for deer...

Kirbinator

I'd agree. One day I opened the front door and the schnauzer ran out the door in alarm after an object. There was a deer eating in the front yard. By the time she'd cleared six feet,down five steps, and three feet to the edge of the sidewalk, the deer had run 50 feet through the front yard, across the two-lane, and into the road on the other side. In seconds.

49er

The penalty in Alabama was increased a couple of years ago, and it will get your attention:

Section 9-11-257
Hunting or discharge of firearm from, upon, or across public roads, etc.

Any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the line of duty or person otherwise authorized by law, who hunts or discharges any firearm from, upon, or across any public road, public highway, or railroad, or the rights-of-way of any public road, public highway, or railroad, or any person, except a landowner or his or her immediate family hunting on land of the landowner, who hunts within 50 yards of a public road, public highway, or railroad, or their rights-of-way, with a centerfire rifle, a shotgun using slug or shot larger in diameter than manufacturer's standard designated number four shot, or a muzzleloading rifle .40 caliber or larger in this state, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished for the first offense by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000), and shall be punished for the second and each subsequent offense by a fine of not less than two thousand dollars ($2,000) and shall have all hunting license privileges revoked for one year from the date of conviction.

(Acts 1935, No. 383, p. 813, §23; Code 1940, T. 8, §105; Acts 1982, No. 82-522, p. 870, §1; Acts 1988, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 88-945, p. 566, §1; Act 99-442, p. 1007, §1; Act 2008-384, p. 714, §1.)