• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

highpoint firearms

Pat Gardner

I was wanting to know what everybody thought about the highpoint firearms ..."9mm". I was thinking about getting one seeing I live on SSI and I dont have alot of money.

7om5hipp

If one can not afford something better.

Having a working fire arm is one of the rules of winning a gun fight.

I thought this was the rule...Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

I don't care much for Hi-Points, but my brother in law loves his 9mm.

DrakeZ07

I own, and avidly OC a Hi-point model JHP .40SW, have been carrying it for almost two years. In all honesty, I adore it. I haven't owned the 9mm variant, but I've owned the .45ACP, which I didn't care for mostly for the round, .45 is too heavy for my tastes. Speaking form experience, I've owned Glocks, Taurus, RIA 1911s, and a Sig; And I'd take my .40SW Hi-point over any of the others I've owned, fired, or fired. A lot of people hate on the Hi-point because of it's price being cheap, and the sheer bulk of it being near to holding a brick, but a lot of the nay-Sayers think that low price, and bulky size means its inaccurate, or has problems loading and firing, or is a general P.O.S.

A lot of the nay-Sayers who think that way, are wrong.

The Hi-point pistol is comparative in reliability, accuracy, and handling, to the AK-47 rifle.

Having owned an AK [47 & 74s], and several ARs; I make a experience based noted review for ya, and the Hi-point haters.

The Hi-point and the AK are [or was, in the AK's area] relatively low priced. Seven years ago, I bought an AK-47, Romanian variant, folding stock, 3DS red-dot sight, and tac light, for 375$, and the ammo for it was insanely cheap compared to the present day. Depending where you go, you can buy a new Hi-point, out of the box, in .380, 9mm, .40, and .45, for between 125$, up to 180$.

You can expect to pay thrice the value of the AK, or Hi-point, for a glock, Sig, tuarus, ruger, etc. Depending where you shop at, and while you have a nice sidearm, you also have to buy a holster for it, and the ammo, and extra mags, which can lead you, in most cases, to spend up to 450$+ by the time all is said and done.

Reliability; The Hi-point's sheer mass, and bulk, isn't just there to help tone up your draw arm while saving you a gym membership's expenses!

All that blockiness lends the Hi-point plenty of mechanical space, for all teh moving parts to move around in. Just like the AK-47, it's heavy, bulky, but you can lock the slide back in an open position, throw it pistol in mud, sand, water, or concrete, take it out, ratchet it back a few times, and it'll fire like 'Not a single F--- given'.

Accuracy; The Hi-point has crap accuracy, I'll be honest with that, even with advanced sighting, and lasers, and stuff, it's not as accurate as a glock, or the other top brand-name pistols. But! If you're firing within 20 yards, you can put about 6/7 rounds in or near a bulls-eye. And, hey, in a self defense scenario, you're gonna be working with up close and personal ranges, or as I've known it called 'shotgun' range. Under 15 yards, the Hi-point is dead on accurate. But the same is attributed to the AK-47; Which after 300-to-400 yards, the accuracy of the AK-47 falls off a cliff.

Up close, the AK and the Hi-point are meant to throw lead reliably at whatever is a threat, until said threat is no longer a threat. And do so while almost never having to break the weapon down, and clean it.

As a starter weapon, I highly encourage, or recommend you get a Hi-point, or as a veteran Carrier, I still say get a HP.

Case in point, and for TL;DR sake: I haven't cleaned my Hi-point in nearly two years, since I bought it, actually. I have put thousands, if not tens of thousands, of rounds of ammo through it, and have NEVER had a mis-fire, or failure-to-feed/fire, nor have I had a problem with magazine jamming, or getting suck. And most of the ammo I fire through it is cheap ammo, sometimes target corrosive, but mostly non-corrosive.

Plus, the polymer shell and grips give credit to its name, no scratches, good grip. Only thing I hate about the exterior, is the safety switch broke off last year, but that's okay, it has a heavy trigger, and my finger is all the safety I need.

DrakeZ07

I ran out of characters to type! xD That's a first.

Anyway! Another thing to consider; the Hi-point is made in Ohio! Mansfield, or St. Marys, I can't recall which, and the Mfg. name is worn off on my pistol's slide.

But, all-in-all, a carry pistol is a pistol that you hopefully will rarely use outside of the target range, will [hopefully] spend most of its time in your holster, but when you need to use it, it needs to be reliable, it needs to throw lead where you need it thrown, and it needs to work the way its supposed to. Looks, and pretty factor means nothing in the long run. Glocks, Sigs, Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield; when you buy them, you're buying the 'high pretty factor'. They all look pretty, and feel pretty, and sound pretty. But unless you find the one criminal who is more concerned about your shiny pretty pistol, than the lead in the chamber, then it's just a 500$ lead slinger. And I'd rather have a 150$ Lead slinger that I can drop, and run over, and use as a club when it doesn't have any more lead to throw, than some pretty piece of aluminum-steel that I constantly worry about scratching and cleaning.

And thats why the AK-47 is more popular in the world than the AR; a six year old can pick up an AK, and take out twenty rebels, and throw it in a river, to be found three years later, and used to take out ten more people. Can't do that with an AR of any make or model.

7om5hipp

Well now I just may have to get myself one. My carry weapon is a Nagant revolver, stamped 1926, so can't really say not to buy something. Lol.

Blk97F150

Don't forget the warranty.....

www.hi-pointfirearms.com

The Hi-Point Warranty
All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty."
Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.

Pat Gardner

thanks Drake for the info on the highpoint, I seen one in a cabelas flyer and seen the price, so i decided to do some research on it. they are located in Mansfield OH.

JustaShooter

Allow me to offer a counter: I have had experience with 3 different Hi-Point firearms, all the same model of 9mm handgun (don't ask me the model, I don't know it as none of the firearms in question were mine). In short, my experience with Hi-Point is hands-down the worst experience I have ever had with a firearm. Ever.

All 3 were jam-o-matics with any of several commercial brands of 9mm ammo. I've seen handguns before that didn't like a particular brand or style of ammo, but these three didn't like anything they were fed - standard 115gr or 124gr ball, 124gr and 147gr hollowpoints, nothing. Typical range experience went something like bang bang jam, bang jam, bang bang bang jam - I never saw any of the three string together more than 3 or 4 shots between jams. In two of the cases I commented that sometimes how the handgun is handled can make a difference so they had me try firing a magazine full through them, to much the same effect.

Now, to their credit, they do have an outstanding warranty - but there seems to be a good chance you'll need it. Of the three I've seen, I have only been in contact with one of the owners longer than the chance encounter at the range and he was eventually able to get his working (mostly) reliably after two trips to the factory. I say mostly because he reports that if he sticks to one or two specific brands and bullet weights he has no problems, but if he varies it gets iffy - not so iffy as it originally was, but still at least one jam out of a box of 50 rounds.

So, they are cheap, big, and ugly, and those are their good qualities. But if you stick with it and are willing to invest your time and effort (and ammo) it seems likely that you can eventually have a serviceable firearm. Of course, you could get lucky and have one work reliably out of the box, but that seems like a crap shoot to me. I'd rather save up a few more shekels and get a better quality handgun in the first place.

FreeInAZ

I was wanting to know what everybody thought about the highpoint firearms ..."9mm". I was thinking about getting one seeing I live on SSI and I dont have alot of money.

Hi Pat. The Hi-Point is a well made gun @ a affordable price. I can shoot smiley's with my JHP 45's. Many of the people who bash them know little to nothing about them. I have owned them (and many other much more expensive pistols for years.) Please take a moment a skim through this thread started as a joke. The OP is now looking at buying a HP. :)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113790

byge8aqe.jpg

zack991

If one can not afford something better.

Having a working fire arm is one of the rules of winning a gun fight.

We had a person in our class last year that made that very claim, I was able to point of several things he was able to do that he had more then enough money to not only buy one used glock but another for his wife to have at the home in less then 30 days. There is a point where a gun is too cheap to risk to even be carried for protection. For the price of a high point I can get a quality made used revolver and in many cases for 100$ more I can buy a used Glock. People say well I can not afford to buy a better gun, I say BS. Does this person have cable TV, Internet, game console, do they go out to eat or go to the bar on weekends, do they go to the movies or to concerts.. If people make it a priority they can easily buy a quality firearm and not risk their life to a High point. Again I own a 1979 Charter arms 38 Special revolver that I payed 135 for. People make too many excuses why they can not afford to buy a quality firearm and yet if you truly care about your family's protection you will make every effort to get a good firearm. I don't know about all the members here, but my family life is worth more to me then the sub quality and reliability standards of a HighPoint. Relying on them for self defense is playing with fire. I have seen dozens and dozens of these "quality guns" fail in training from failure to feed/fire to the point of the weapon becoming nonoperational so much so that the OPOTA instructors ban the use of them in the course.

Last edited:

Midwest

I own the Hi-Point .45 acp paid $159 for it new last year, it is a straight shooter, it has never jammed, it is solid, good and reliable in my opinion. I can't answer about the reliability of the 9mm, .380 or .40 since I have never shot them.

Last edited:

carolina guy

love my HP .40 carbine...ugly as sin, but cheap and very accurate. Personally, I really enjoy my Argentine Hi-Power 9mm...but they are not as cheap as they were 20+ years ago. ;)

FreeInAZ

There's a few folks here who are at best mis-informed. Anyone try to buy a used glock for a $159 in this market? Don't think so. However one can buy a Hi-Point 45/40/9mm/380 with a laser kit for under $200 new. I know I bought yet another HP 45 new with a laser for $199. Now HP will sell you mags for the 45 for $18 including shipping right to your door. Try that in this current market for a S&W, SIG, Walther etc...
I have owned hi-points & glocks for over 20 years. They are not similar guns but somehow are compared? They do have one thing in common from my REAL WORLD experience: they are both dependable. Now to those who say the hi-point is a crappy design... you do know it's based off of the earlier blow back pistols that Colt arms designed, right? So you are saying Colt designed crappy pistols...I don't think so.

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_hipoint_100605/

http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html

And even NutNfancy who hates hi-point pistols (but loves the carbines...wtf?) had to admit they are accurate reliable guns.

Bottom line Pat. You want a affordable pistol in todays market your choices are very limited. The Hi-point is a good choice and suitable for open carry. My J9 (old model 9mm) is more accurate than my glock 17 with fancy target sights. Fixed barrel designs are known for accuracy, go figure. ;)
Hi-points are not glocks, but they will take abuse see last link.

[video] www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq7WdB-0LA[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

Last edited:

Midwest

However one can buy a Hi-Point 45/40/9mm/380 with a laser kit for under $200 new.

It was mid 2012 I paid $159 for the Hi-Point .45 acp new. Last week I saw it selling for $210 new at Triggers in Florence KY. Don't know if Hi-Point raised the price since last year or the LGS is selling what the market will bear...

Last edited: