• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lying cop ... another libertarian like me ...

fjpro2a

Admiration for Libertarian

Excellent job. I have no idea why the two respondents so far like to "Monday morning Quarterback." Woulda, coulda, shouda. In my opinion, you taught the LEO's a lesson. You answered seriously when needed, and also never let the LEO try to mention that your rifle was pointed at him without correcting the record. I personally don't like bad language, but you didn't use it consistently. You were persistent. Once again, excellent job. Let us know if you pursue this incident further.

stealthyeliminator

Is he proceeding with litigation? If anyone knows, or knows how to get updates on it, please let me know. I'd like to follow it.

onus

this shows the power of video cameras and why police hate them so much. without video cameras on the law abiding citizens the cops would have arrested the guy and lied about everything. the dashcam video would have gone missing (probably still will) and an innocent law abiding American would be locked in prison.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Libertarians are the lying branch of the Progressives. The others are the Demotic branch and the Repugnant branch, progressives all. Progressives believe that men are so good and god-like that they can live with no law but the Thelemic Law, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

You need to learn more about libertarians ...

stealthyeliminator

Oh, like what? Teach me from your vast learning, you onus aspirant.
Might I suggest a book such as For a New Liberty by Murray Rothbard or perhaps The Ethics of Liberty by Murray Rothbard?

If you refuse to invest the time any money to read either of those, I might suggest a few Wikipedia pages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism would probably be a good one to start with. You may also be able to glean some knowledge from the following page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism_in_the_United_States. I would follow up with maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association#Libertarian. A good finisher (for now) could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism. I've probably read each of these pages myself in the past, but of course it is the nature of Wikipedia that they may change, so they may have done so since the last time I read them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You might try a book, a "p-book" that doesn't change, in this case Karl Popper's seminal 1947 (which is to say, not derivative) The Open Society and Its Enemies.

I am sure your citations wax prolix on libertarianism, but you don't answer my charge of libertarians as progressives. At your fount of knowledge, Murray Newton Rothbard is listed twelve names away from Karl Raimond Popper in their List of Liberal Theorists. Popper's work preceeds Rothbard by twenty-some years.

And no, you may not suggest a book to me. I expect to take two years to read 'Open Society' as I did his The Logic of Scientific Discovery, 1934 (as Logik der Forschung, English translation 1959)

I'm not Oprah ... I do not do book recommendations. But as far as open carry goes, you must admit we are big supporters of carry.

Last edited:

HPmatt

You need to learn more about libertarians ...

I like the general thrust of your message about 2A, the use of video to keep the cops within legal bounds, and the increase in the police and sheriff dept awareness of an informed citizenry, but
a) the language is detracting from your main message,
b) your success to humiliate the Sgt when he was definitely wrong on i) saying you were pointing the gun and him, ii) he took your gun, and iii) the comment about lawful detainment, creates general sympathy for the cop just trying to do his job (with several major errors) and put up with a cussing smarty pants you either are or are acting like

After watching this I am split - you are right on generals, but certain actions/attitudes you express don't want me to feel like sharing this with folks I want to bring along in educating them of their rights and how the cops have gone over the line. I certainly think it is hard to keep things under control when your adrenaline is pumping and a cop unholsters his pistol towards you....

ramkatral

What's with the hatred of libertarians? I'm a libertarian. If you think we're in line with progressives, then you're lost. It's a common misconception that since we tend to err on the side of some things liberals do like gay rights that we're progressives. The fact is we believe in complete liberty and removal of government from your day to day life all together. How can you claim to want small government, but then ask the government to come into people's lives and tell them who can and can't get married? You can't have it both ways. You either want the government regulating personal lives or you don't. There is no gray area.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What's with the hatred of libertarians? I'm a libertarian. If you think we're in line with progressives, then you're lost. It's a common misconception that since we tend to err on the side of some things liberals do like gay rights that we're progressives. The fact is we believe in complete liberty and removal of government from your day to day life all together. How can you claim to want small government, but then ask the government to come into people's lives and tell them who can and can't get married? You can't have it both ways. You either want the government regulating personal lives or you don't. There is no gray area.

And not ALL libertarians support all the platform .. like all GOP members agreeing to everything their platform is ..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Libertarians are the lying branch of the Progressives. The others are the Demotic branch and the Repugnant branch, progressives all. Progressives believe that men are so good and god-like that they can live with no law but the Thelemic Law, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I have a hard time seeing any validity in this statement.

stealthyeliminator

Perhaps "anarcho-capitalism" is poorly named, but if you analyze the principles upon which the philosophy rests you will not see any alignment with your charge that a libertarian believes that men are good and need no law.

Libertarians have gone to great lengths to outline ways in which a) law can be established outside of the context of a coercive government and b) law has been established outside of the context of a coercive government. Libertarians believe there are legitimate and moral ways in which laws, courts, and law enforcement may exist outside of the context of a government which claims to be or acts as if it is a) above the law which is enforces and b) entitled to a monopoly on the use of force.

ETA: The derogatory nature of your posts is in poor taste.

Last edited:

ramkatral

Perhaps "anarcho-capitalism" is poorly named, but if you analyze the principles upon which the philosophy rests you will not see any alignment with your charge that a libertarian believes that men are good and need no law.

Libertarians have gone to great lengths to outline ways in which a) law can be established outside of the context of a coercive government and b) law has been established outside of the context of a coercive government. Libertarians believe there are legitimate and moral ways in which laws, courts, and law enforcement may exist outside of the context of a government which claims to be or acts as if it is a) above the law which is enforces and b) entitled to a monopoly on the use of force.

ETA: The derogatory nature of your posts is in poor taste.

Man posts like this give me hope for the world.

Last edited: