• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police scuffle over gun at wally world in aberdeen nc

solus

WRAL just broke in to advise about a Walmart in Aberdeen that was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after police scuffled with a man who displayed a gun, police said. Officers searched the store and allowed customers to return.

2 injured in 'evacuation' of store.

one in police custody and they are looking for another

http://www.wral.com/aberdeen-walmart-evacuated-after-gun-threat/13245919/

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I just saw it a few minutes ago, I will wait for more information before deciding whether Walmart's decision to evacuate was responsible.

solus

it is interesting to listen to wral as the story morphs from 'police questioning' to 'police arresting' the suspect

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not guilty ... circumstances irrelevant ... until we get our rights to OC w/o issue .. that will be my verdict of any case

solus

ROFLMAO

WRAL update:
Investigators gave this account of what happened:

Officers went to the Walmart about 3 p.m. for a shoplifting complaint. While there, one of the officers saw a man he recognized as being banned from the store.

The officer tried to remove the man, identified as 22-year-old Christian York, and they struggled. During the scuffle, York allegedly dropped a gun.

Police said York's younger brother, 18-year-old Justin York, picked up the gun and ran through the store with it.

The store was immediately evacuated, and Christian York was taken into custody.

Police said Justin York turned himself in a few hours later. The gun, which was also located, turned out to be a BB gun. Investigators did not say where it was found.

Investigators said they are working to determine what charges will be filed against the brothers.

lets see the officer was on private property for another complaint, 'recognized' someone who was banned (huh?) apparently acting on their LE's own initiative and then physically tried to remove the individual?

me thinks there is something rotten in Aberdeen and WRAL isn't being told the whole story...

oh wait WRAL = we do not believe citizens should have firearms...so perhaps they have put their slant on the story...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

going armed is the charge

Christian York was charged with going armed to the terror of the public, assault on a government official, trespassing, and resisting, delaying and obstructing.

Justin York was charged with resisting an officer, altering evidence, and resisting, delaying and obstructing.

continuing from the wral news blurp: Witnesses described chaos inside the store, with people unsure about what was happening and running to get out.

"There were children that were hiding outside at the outdoor living area. THere moms had them hidden behind things because we were afraid someone was having an episode," shopper Kelly Hinson said.

Bill Lacy was working in the automotive department when he saw two men run by.

"I'm like, 'My life is in danger and I need to get outside,'" he said. "A lot of people were in shock. A lot of people were like, 'We left our items and stuff in the store,' and they really didn't know what to do."

newscaster this morning stated the brothers are being charged for 'causing' the evacuation?

yes, we dont know the WHOLE story but at this stage kinda makes me want to contribute to their defense...

wonder if FOI would get the police reports released?

ipse

WalkingWolf

And all that for a shoplifted airsoft gun...:lol:

Everybody knows that Walmart does not sell handguns~~somebody is going to pay through the nose to the trampled people.

Horsegal984

ROFLMAO

The officer tried to remove the man,

This is the part I want more details about. Tried to remove in media speak could be anything from "officers walked up and said hey are you supposed to be in here?" To "officers grabbed the man with weapons drawn, yelling for everyone to get down."

Also, WW, maybe I misread it, but I didn't think the shoplifting was related to this incident. I read it as though this gun was brought into the store by the guy in the story. It also sounds as if it was concealed, but that's inferring a lot.

WalkingWolf

This is the part I want more details about. Tried to remove in media speak could be anything from "officers walked up and said hey are you supposed to be in here?" To "officers grabbed the man with weapons drawn, yelling for everyone to get down."

Also, WW, maybe I misread it, but I didn't think the shoplifting was related to this incident. I read it as though this gun was brought into the store by the guy in the story. It also sounds as if it was concealed, but that's inferring a lot.

So far all I have is rumors I from another LEO. BB gun was actually air soft, from the store. Suspect dropped stolen air soft when police approached. Brother grabbed and ran with the air soft. As far as I know carrying a air soft is not illegal, even concealed. If they were there arresting a shoplifter, they would have been arresting the shoplifter. The rumor makes sense that the perp was the shoplifter, the usual reason a person gets banned from stores.

There also is a rumor the police discharged their weapons and that is what started the stampede. I hope this is not so, it would be bad for Walmart if they did not tell police what was shoplifted. Or that police ignored the information and fired anyway.

As the media story sits now it does not make any sense.

Horsegal984

So far all I have is rumors I from another LEO. BB gun was actually air soft, from the store. Suspect dropped stolen air soft when police approached. Brother grabbed and ran with the air soft. As far as I know carrying a air soft is not illegal, even concealed. If they were there arresting a shoplifter, they would have been arresting the shoplifter. The rumor makes sense that the perp was the shoplifter, the usual reason a person gets banned from stores.

There also is a rumor the police discharged their weapons and that is what started the stampede. I hope this is not so, it would be bad for Walmart if they did not tell police what was shoplifted. Or that police ignored the information and fired anyway.

As the media story sits now it does not make any sense.

Just pulled up Christian York's record and it appears that he may well have been the shoplifter they were there to apprehend. This is why I hate going off media reports, they're always confusing even if you can find one that's not biased. Certainly if officers discharged their guns inappropriately they need to be held responsible for those actions.

He is also a convicted felon, for whatever that's worth. I find it interesting that the officers recognized him, maybe it's a difference in city size but around here if the cops know you you're in trouble quite often.

Couple more news accounts
http://m.fayobserver.com/news/local/article_9e359d31-93ab-5724-be53-380821dcd259.html?mode=jqm

This one discusses gunfire.
http://www.wbtw.com/story/24299649/...-in-evacuation-of-nc-walmart-on-christmas-eve

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Just pulled up Christian York's record and it appears that he may well have been the shoplifter they were there to apprehend. This is why I hate going off media reports, they're always confusing even if you can find one that's not biased. Certainly if officers discharged their guns inappropriately they need to be held responsible for those actions.

He is also a convicted felon, for whatever that's worth. I find it interesting that the officers recognized him, maybe it's a difference in city size but around here if the cops know you you're in trouble quite often.

The officers recognized him because they were called for him, IMO. He was not charged with shoplifting this time because the LP did not see him steal the gun. They just wanted him ejected from the store. IMO he probably wanted to get rid of the evidence I would suspect the dropped firearm was tossed. I certainly hope the officers did not discharge their firearms in this case, endangering the whole store.

We cannot trust media anymore for the truth. The media has become an extension of the government and do and will lie for the government.

I just gotta wonder how many items went out the door unpaid for during the stampede...

Last edited:

solus

WW & Horsegal, thanks for enlightening the subject.

this is why i got interested in the report originally. of course WRAL (aka capitol broadcasting) has shown an extremely strong political agenda against firearms within NC and pushes their one sided rhetoric throughout the state using their entire media empire.

i might push the FOIA to get police reports to see how the report went down.

unfortunately, having a prior or two dooms the older brother and could be the beginning of the path for the younger brother.

ipse