• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need your reassurance

Broken Vet.

I’ve spent the last several days reading over the threads for Oregon and any other media covering Oregon carry laws I could find. I’m planning a trip from Washington to Boise in a couple weeks and want you all to reassure me that what I have learned regarding Oregon’s handgun carry laws is correct. I know my WA CCP doesn’t mean squat in Oregon, Idaho I’m good to go but any questions there is another thread discussion.

I’ll be traveling I-84 the entire way and from what I have read and can decipher I can carry in my car as long as 1) if loaded it’s in the open i.e., dashboard, console or holstered 2) concealed it must be unloaded to include no rounds in magazine, out of immediate reach (trunk) or under lock and key (glove box). I could not find if the handgun, empty mag and loose rounds could all be located together when under lock and key.

I cannot carry outside my vehicle as everyplace is considered “public place” so I must keep it in the open or unload and lock it up should I stop at a rest stop, go into a gas station or restaurant and leave my car unattended.

My family will be with me as well so I expect to be making frequent stops for the kids to stretch their legs. Please correct me where I’m wrong and let me know anything else I have forgotten. I have a 6 hour drive I don’t need to make it any longer having to answer to the authorities.

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all “public buildings” are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=290

Broken Vet.

Thanks for the info. I do remember reading your link. I’m not as tired today so it makes more sense to me.

Since “all “public buildings” are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license” and I'm from out of state and I DO NOT HAVE an Oregon conceal permit it’s only legal for me to OC in my vehicle and that is it. Should I exit my vehicle at say a rest stop, McDonalds or a gas station I must leave it in my vehicle either 1) in plain sight or 2) concealed, unloaded and all bullets removed from clip.

Having said that, when concealed, unloaded and all bullets removed from clip is it still legal to have them all concealed together (under lock and key) or must they be in separate locations? That I have not found any info on.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the info. I do remember reading your link. I’m not as tired today so it makes more sense to me.

Since “all “public buildings” are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license” and I'm from out of state and I DO NOT HAVE an Oregon conceal permit it’s only legal for me to OC in my vehicle and that is it. Should I exit my vehicle at say a rest stop, McDonalds or a gas station I must leave it in my vehicle either 1) in plain sight or 2) concealed, unloaded and all bullets removed from clip.

Having said that, when concealed, unloaded and all bullets removed from clip is it still legal to have them all concealed together (under lock and key) or must they be in separate locations? That I have not found any info on.

Your route from Zillah to Boise won't be going through any of the places in Oregon with an Open Carry ban, so there is no need to leave it in your vehicle when you get out.

McD's and gas stations are not "Public" buildings, they are privately owned.

Rest stops are also good to go.

Public buildings, as far as carry restrictions are as follows:

(4) “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

I OC that route once or twice a year - no problems.

We-the-People

I have recently (April through June) researched ALL cities in the state of Oregon for ALL firearms regulations. The below PDF file is two pages from the approximately 90 page document that I am currently working on getting vetted. There are more cities with problematic ordinances than are shown in the "open carry pamphlet".

This list is the most accurate and extensive coverage of the issue that I am aware of.

Attachments

• CityList_and_ProblemCities-ONLY.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Broken Vet.

ak56

Thanks for that clarification. I had read somewhere that every building and road were considered "Public" to include ones car. I think that’s where I started to get confused with the wordage of the laws. It’s nice to know next time I cross the river to take my deer to the processer I can carry it in with me.

We-the-People

When you’re done with that read and decipher can you do the same for Obama care =) Thanks for taking the time to create a more up to date list of cities none of us want to visit.

We-the-People

ak56

Thanks for that clarification. I had read somewhere that every building and road were considered "Public" to include ones car. I think that’s where I started to get confused with the wordage of the laws. It’s nice to know next time I cross the river to take my deer to the processer I can carry it in with me.

We-the-People

When you’re done with that read and decipher can you do the same for Obama care =) Thanks for taking the time to create a more up to date list of cities none of us want to visit.

The ORS specifically define both "Public Place" (which would include roads due to a bad court decision a couple years ago) and "Public Building". Public places are not off limits to non licensed carry except in "ban" cities. Public buildings are always off limits to non CHL holders.