• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cc in church

stainless1911

Banned
Yes

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.Sec. 5o.
(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

thanks for the responses ill have that talk with my pastor before next sunday
Please be sure your Pastor is the "presiding official" of the church. Some churches have Boards that are the actual power behind the Pastor/Minister/etc.......... and the permission of the Board is needed... not just the Pastor.

malignity

Too bad you didn't live closer; I'd welcome you to the church Sprinklerguy and I go to.

I'd been meaning to check the church out that I had recently started attending for a number of years,due to it's name, sign, and website (listening to pre-recorded services; very good message) and got an invite 2 weeks ago from Sprinklerguy. I found out they're OC friendly, was hooked after the first service, and I'm back on the path I need to be on.

Badger Johnson

Nice thing (hehe) about churches is there are a bazillion of them...and most of them don't have metal detectors.

In Va the statute is 'without sufficient cause' making it vague (probably intentional). It use to be in Va that taking a gun to church was mandatory. There's an interesting back story (scroll down to mid-page) to that and here's a link with that and more. Again, sorry to be posting Va law in the Michigan forum, but it gives perspective and Mods may move if they wish.

http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/interpretation-carrying-church-law-t6510.html

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Nice thing (hehe) about churches is there are a bazillion of them...and most of them don't have metal detectors.

In Va the statute is 'without sufficient cause' making it vague (probably intentional). It use to be in Va that taking a gun to church was mandatory. There's an interesting back story (scroll down to mid-page) to that and here's a link with that and more. Again, sorry to be posting Va law in the Michigan forum, but it gives perspective and Mods may move if they wish.

http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/interpretation-carrying-church-law-t6510.html
I recall reading a story in the news a decade or so ago. Seems some guy in a New England state caused a minor ruckus when he brought his rifle to church. Everyone was all upset and everything, and then he pointed out how EVERYONE else in the church had been violating the law by NOT bringing a rifle to church. Seems there was still a law on the books, from about 200 or so years ago that made it mandatory that every male church member bring a gun to church....in case of an Indian attack. :)

oohrahboy

Please be sure your Pastor is the "presiding official" of the church. Some churches have Boards that are the actual power behind the Pastor/Minister/etc.......... and the permission of the Board is needed... not just the Pastor.

we dont have a board, our church is new we just started last year after we broke up with our other church because they were not following the bible and the tenants of christianity anymore. i would consider myself a founding member

Sheldon

Can't, the first amendment doesn't mean any more to the .gov than the second. Since you can't CC either, the fourth went out the window as well.

I thought all you needed was permission for someone of authority and being a founding member puts him in that status....

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I think so to.

According to the Christian doctrine, any Christian has the authority to make those decisions. All men have access to God through Jesus Christ, (For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.) so no building is really a church. The church is the people. IIRC, it was either Moses or Abraham that wanted to build a church first, and God laughed saying, (paraphrased) Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

The first amendment is supposed to protect us from these intrusions and regulations, but it clearly does not.

Last edited:

kubel

I think so to.

According to the Christian doctrine, any Christian has the authority to make those decisions. All men have access to God through Jesus Christ, (For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.) so no building is really a church. The church is the people. IIRC, it was either Moses or Abraham that wanted to build a church first, and God laughed saying, (paraphrased) Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

The first amendment is supposed to protect us from these intrusions and regulations, but it clearly does not.

The word translated "church" by most early-modern English translations (due to political pressure from the established religions of the time) is actually the Greek word Ekklesia. A more literal translation is "out calling", thus an assembly or gathering of separated believers. The word "church" or "place of worship" in the law carries with it the same definition that almost all sects of Christianity teach. It is, unfortunately, incorrect (as you already pointed out).

The same religious influence corrupted the word "baptize" as well. Instead of translating it "dip" or "submerse", they stuck with transliteration (baptizo to baptize) so that they wouldn't piss of those who practiced sprinkling at the time (no pun intended).

Off topic rant brought to you by a Christian who hates religion. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited: