• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2011

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2011 - Continued

I don't know, but for some reason, every time C3 has an update to this, I picture an episode of Family Guy (random thought and sorry for the threadjack)...

Peter_Griffin.png

If you are suggesting that I have something in common with Peter Griffin; I no longer have his physique and I dont' think he open carries a pistol.

April 24, 2011

Walked to the convenience store to get a beverage and a sandwich. Traffic was pretty heavy up and back. Spotted a Shasta County Sheriff's deputy headed away from me some distance away. Once I started up the main road, I saw another black and white patrol car approaching. This time, it was the CHP. I steeled myself for a police encounter and they passed without stopping. Not five minutes later, another CHP car approached. At first, I believed it was the same car that passed me earlier having circled around. They didnt stop either. I arrived at the store unmolested and made my purchase and ate my sandwich out front in the picnic area. I walked back the way I came. Nearly home, a fellow in a pickup rolled by and gave me a hard look through the passenger side.

I think this is the forth and fifth time police have passed me as a plainly armed individual on the street. They must not be that observant.

wewd

I think this is the forth and fifth time police have passed me as a plainly armed individual on the street. They must not be that observant.

I once had three officers pass me from about 6 feet away, twice, with my strong side facing them, while they were actively looking for me, and they didn't see the sidearm. I finally asked one of the cops if I could help them, and only then did he look down and see it. The e-check was uneventful and by the book.

This was at a fairly crowded farmer's market, and one of the merchants there had called them. I knew right when it happened because I saw her eyes bug out when she saw me, and she quickly slinked off to use her cellphone. The cops made their way up the street about 10 minutes later. After the e-check, I finished my walk to the end of the street, and then made my way back past the frightened merchant. One of the officers was there talking to her. I smiled at her as I walked by, and she had this look of indignation on her face, like she couldn't believe that the cops had not hauled me off in leg irons to Guantanamo Bay. I'm sure they set her straight.

DooFster

Peter_Griffin.png

If you are suggesting that I have something in common with Peter Griffin; I no longer have his physique and I dont' think he open carries a pistol.

My apologies...lol. I had an episode of Family Guy (where Peter narrates his life) going through my head and just dubbed over it. No offense intended...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

May 7, 2011

Walked to the convenience store for lunch today. Traffic was heavier than usual. Made my purchase with the owner of the store and no mention of my state of being armed was made. I ate out front near a picnic table populated with seniors. I walked home without incident, though it did seem some people noticed.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

May 21, 2011

As a coordinator, I fail. I PM'd a few here of my plans for this weekend and told them I would be in a particular place at a particular time so we could meet. The particular place was not open at the particular time I indicated. I also said that after I got my hot brewed caffinated beverage, that I would go to a second location- which wasn't where I intended it to be. So- all planning was out the window. I apologize if you were where I was not.

Today the 63rd annual Redding Rodeo parade was held, and I was in attendance while unloaded open carrying. In addition to my planning faux pas, I arrived a little late to park where I would have liked. I ended up parking about two blocks away and walked into the parade area. Streets were already lined with spectators and as I walked across California Street, an older couple obverved me- the man said "Nice gun..." I bid him good morning with no acknowledgement of his ham handed compliment.

On my way to my intended rendezvous two Redding Police officers mounted on dirt bikes passed me making no observation of my pistol. This was the first of a half dozen near misses with law enforcement at the parade. Seeing that the business I wanted to get coffee at was closed, I made a u-turn back to California Street where the parade was commencing. I heard a little boy ask his mother why there were people with a gun nearby. I didnt hear the mothers response. I winced at this internally, like a kid pretending to avoid the 'hot lava' they imagine as their fiery obstacle- though the object is normalization, it isnt thrown in anyone's face and I think its unfortunate that it would result in difficult questions for parents to answer.

I took up residence on the eastern sidewalk on California street and watched the mounted Marines, marching bands, baton twirlers and Shriner's in their sputtering Mini-Cars flow by (how can grown men wearing a Fez riding in go-karts NOT amuse you?). A female RPD officer on a bicycle rode by on the street near me- she would repeat this with various proximities another three times, never observing an armed individual in the crowd. Another officer on a dirt bike (it may have been one of the officers I saw earlier) passed on the opposite side of the street.

420110521210544001_t607.JPG

Spot the open carrier in this newspaper picture (Credit Record Searchlight/Julie Peters).

Nearing the end of the parade, a man came up to me and asked if I'd like some water and offered to get some for me. Spidey-senses were tingling. This was definately peculiar. I believe the man believed that because I was armed, that I was stationed there as some security or a police officer. I declined and he returned to his spouse. While I did not wholly hear the discussion between them, I think the wife indicated that I was not a 'cop'.

Four minutes later an RPD motor officer rolled up behind me from the parking lot and engaged me in voluntary contact. While he questioned the negative effects that may result in the practice of open carry, the officer never escalated the level of contact, never dismounted his motorcycle, did not engage any investigatory interrogation, did not demand identification or identity, did not ask if my pistol were loaded, did not request or demand to perform a 12031(e) check, and did not conduct a search of me or my pistol. (Score 10/10) I introduced myself and gave him my business card before our conversation was complete. Aside from meeting an outstanding officer, the net gain to this is that the people who had seen me with a pistol were able to also witness to a lawful gun owner interacting with law enforcement with no negative outcome. They now know what I was doing is not illegal.

After the parade concluded, I went to Lake Redding park where another event was being held. The 2nd annual "Cops and Rodders" was being held in part as a fundraiser for the Redding Police Depts K9 unit. I arrived there about the same time Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko did. Also present were officers with the CHP as well as a number of Redding Police, both sworn and community service officers.

I went to concessions immediately and I ate lunch in the shade. I took a look at a few of the cars and sat to wait for Centex to arrive. When he arrived we talked for a bit when we were approached by two CSO's selling raffle tickets. I bought two- and one of them asked me if I were a deputy. I indicated that I was not. They gave me my ticket stubs and left without any comment. Centex and I meandered through and looked at all the old steel and passed within about 6 feet of Sheriff Bosenko. We later passed Redding Police Chief Peter Hansen as well as other uniformed officers. No contact was made by anyone. Bystanders must have assumed that I was an officer, while the law enforcement present either did not care or did not observe that someone was armed in their presence.

In all, it was a pretty good excursion. However, I did find that the batteries in my digital recorder were completely exhasuted after 3 hours and 51 minutes of recording. This would have done me no good if there were a confrontational encounter with police.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Just a quick update; I went to the Redding Police Department this morning to check the incident logs to see who called the police. Surprisingly there was no call. The arrival of the motor officer was either a complete coincidence or someone on the street flagged him down.

camsoup

Just a quick update; I went to the Redding Police Department this morning to check the incident logs to see who called the police. Surprisingly there was no call. The arrival of the motor officer was either a complete coincidence or someone on the street flagged him down.

Its a shame we have come so far and reached a point that officers are not even pushing the 12031(e) issue, yet we may be losing our ability to UOC. This officer scored a 10 out of 10, and I hear all the time of other incidents where officers don't even perform the "e" check.

It hasn't/doesn't cause any real public panic, officers are being educated on its legality everyday. Citizens are not walking on "streets" of blood. No one is cowering/running at the sight of legally carried unloaded firearms, yet the anti-gunners/Brady Bunch have some much "clot" that a bill to ban UOC has passed the assembly and is on its way to the senate.

I have to ask the anti's/Brady Bunch, Don't we really have bigger problems to do away with than peaceful, legal carry of handguns (which is protected by the 2nd amendment)? Maybe redirect your efforts to reduce the state deficit, or feed the hungry, or make sure every person has a safe place to sleep at night??

I'm sorry you get angry or scared if I have an unloaded gun carried openly on my belt while I buy my Starbucks Mocha.... why cant you just learn to live with it?? We put up with your constant moaning and complaining about the right of the 2nd amendment, yet we are not out to squash/regulate your 1st amendment right to free speech.

Can we not all get along?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Its a shame we have come so far and reached a point that officers are not even pushing the 12031(e) issue, yet we may be losing our ability to UOC. This officer scored a 10 out of 10, and I hear all the time of other incidents where officers don't even perform the "e" check.

It hasn't/doesn't cause any real public panic, officers are being educated on its legality everyday. Citizens are not walking on "streets" of blood. No one is cowering/running at the sight of legally carried unloaded firearms, yet the anti-gunners/Brady Bunch have some much "clot" that a bill to ban UOC has passed the assembly and is on its way to the senate.

I have to ask the anti's/Brady Bunch, Don't we really have bigger problems to do away with than peaceful, legal carry of handguns (which is protected by the 2nd amendment)? Maybe redirect your efforts to reduce the state deficit, or feed the hungry, or make sure every person has a safe place to sleep at night??

I'm sorry you get angry or scared if I have an unloaded gun carried openly on my belt while I buy my Starbucks Mocha.... why cant you just learn to live with it?? We put up with your constant moaning and complaining about the right of the 2nd amendment, yet we are not out to squash/regulate your 1st amendment right to free speech.

Can we not all get along?

I really feel bad for you subjects in the PDR everytime I put my 1911 or Hi-Power in condition 1 before leaving for somewhere here in Colorado or the other Free States in the West. But good for you in doing the best you can in a Gulag. The ******** who whine the loudest about their "rights" to be morons are the first to continue to deny you yours to be free.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

July 18, 2011

Walked to the convenience store and bought a sandwich and a Sobe. Traffic was light, but I encountered a bicyclist who passed me on the way in who gave me the twice over while in the store. On the return trip a motorcyclist about whipped his head off his shoulders looking back as he passed me. Neither of the looky loos seemed to instigate a police response as I arrived home without confrontation.

Gunslinger

July 18, 2011

Walked to the convenience store and bought a sandwich and a Sobe. Traffic was light, but I encountered a bicyclist who passed me on the way in who gave me the twice over while in the store. On the return trip a motorcyclist about whipped his head off his shoulders looking back as he passed me. Neither of the looky loos seemed to instigate a police response as I arrived home without confrontation.

A good day in the PDR. You peacefully and lawfully went about your business and made it back home without being physically abused or even interrogated by the NKVD. What the hell is a 'Sobe'?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2011- Continued

September 11, 2011

Technically, this isn't an update of my open carry activities. Since AB144 has passed, I thought I would mark the anniversary of 9/11 and indulge myself in OC at the Asphalt Cowboys fundraising BBQ. I invited OCDO members to join me. None of the seven I invited attended. Absent any friendly witnessess, I thought I would forgo UOC and carried in the only other means I am legally able to do so. Inside a locked case. Oddly enough, I was recognized in line as 'the OC guy' and had a brief discussion with a couple of the Asphalt Cowboys one of which was trying to sell me on Rick Perry being pro-gun and the other who I updated on the status of the bill to ban open carry. I sense that I lost his support when I told him that I was not a member of the NRA and that my license to conceal was revoked in 2007- he walked off without saying goodbye.

I question whether there will be much more to update. Time will tell as we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I can figure out how a person can transport an unloaded pistol in a locked case to a public place and load and holster it without violating the new law, there may still yet be some hope in unincorporated areas. I also wonder if there is any merit in being the first to be arrested defying the law- either by carrying UOC, or by carrying loaded and exposed.

Between Governor Brown vetoing AB144 and any legal action that can be taken to stop it, I would qualify any obstacle to this new law taking effect as a miracle.

There is little question in my mind that our legislature is wild-eyed, chicken little, bat **** crazy- deserving of mockery and ridicule. The vast majority of them firmly believe that their job is to meddle with things that are none of their business, to impose upon others fines, fees, taxes, mandates, and bans to influence behavior and limit personal freedom, in spite of the fact that their existance is to support and defend the liberty of those they represent. They make us into slaves instead and unless the balance of power is at least equalized, there is nothing to keep the California legislature from that objective.

Save Our State

September 11, 2011

There is little question in my mind that our legislature is wild-eyed, chicken little, bat **** crazy- deserving of mockery and ridicule. The vast majority of them firmly believe that their job is to meddle with things that are none of their business, to impose upon others fines, fees, taxes, mandates, and bans to influence behavior and limit personal freedom, in spite of the fact that their existance is to support and defend the liberty of those they represent. They make us into slaves instead and unless the balance of power is at least equalized, there is nothing to keep the California legislature from that objective.

And next year, I may lose the "privilidge" to drive, over a debt to the state I incurred many years ago. A new law on the governors desk will enact that if signed, just as 144 awaits. I may not have a legal way to transport a handgun if this becomes law. The rule book is getting so big...so polluted with supposedly good intentions, that the result is one cannot exercise the very basic rights declared at the outset as the basis for the existence of all others.
I don't think the legislature is crazy, nor are the majority of the members. They may be drunk with power, and driven by lust, greed, and influence. All of which are usually not characterisitcs of insanity. Just plain, everyday, weak moral fiber.

Robin47

And next year, I may lose the "privilidge" to drive, over a debt to the state I incurred many years ago. A new law on the governors desk will enact that if signed, just as 144 awaits. I may not have a legal way to transport a handgun if this becomes law. The rule book is getting so big...so polluted with supposedly good intentions, that the result is one cannot exercise the very basic rights declared at the outset as the basis for the existence of all others.
I don't think the legislature is crazy, nor are the majority of the members. They may be drunk with power, and driven by lust, greed, and influence. All of which are usually not characterisitcs of insanity. Just plain, everyday, weak moral fiber.

Well SOS, you have the "Right to Travel", by any convayence horse or truck or car ETC, As long as its your property.
Our Constitution both state and Fed, don't mean nothing to the ones in power now.
An yes your right California is so morally corrupted, Power greed, and ( legalized theft called Forfeiture ) that
I don't see any of our rights being brought back in this lifetime. look for a "Free State" !
Its sad :( look for a "Free State" !
Robin47