• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One in the chamber

Recoil88

I was oc'ing at an appliance store the other day and the two guys there struck up a conversation with me about open carry.
The one fella who said he thought about oc'ing sometime,mentioned to me that his state cop buddy told him that you can get in big trouble if you oc with a round in the chamber. Is this true? I have never heard of that before.

SpringerXDacp

I was oc'ing at an appliance store the other day and the two guys there struck up a conversation with me about open carry.
The one fella who said he thought about oc'ing sometime,mentioned to me that his state cop buddy told him that you can get in big trouble if you oc with a round in the chamber. Is this true? I have never heard of that before.

It's true if his state cop buddy works in California (without a license/permit), otherwise no. There's no law in Michigan that prohibits a chambered round while OC or CC. Furthermore, since September 2004, other than using your pistol to hunt deer, there's no law that regulates the number of rounds (capacity) of your pistol.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

*edit*

For edc, carring without a round chambered seems silly.

I am not opposed to carrying without one in the pipe in some circumstances, especially for non cpl holders.
Constantly loading and unloading a pistol increases the likelihood of a negligent/accidental discharge.

One must weigh all the factors before making their decision.

As far as legality, it's perfectly lawful. When a person insists that a certain activity is unlawful, ask them to provide a cite. The mi legislature website has an excellent search feature.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

Paper, rock, scissors - all are superior to UOC in my opinion. :uhoh:

Although I tend to agree that uoc makes a pistol much less useful, Michigan law forces non cpl holders to unload before locking the pistol in the trunk anytime a person travels by vehicle. This may require a person to load/unload several times per day, significantly increasing the likelihood of a nd/ad.

Last edited:

TheQ

Although I tend to agree that uoc makes a pistol much less useful, Michigan law forces non cpl holders to unload before locking the pistol in the trunk anytime a person travels by vehicle. This may require a person to load/unload several times per day, significantly increasing the likelihood of a nd/ad.

While it does by nature increase the chances -- good discipline and consistent habits while unloading the firearm go a long way to prevent. I sleep with my XDm wrapped in a towel under my pillow. I don't sleep with it chambered thusly, so I unload in before I go to bed.

I place my entire hand (index included) around the grip as one must activate the backstrap safety to manipulate the slide. After that I use my left hand to slowly but evenly work the slide. Slow is important because the chance exists that a live round's firing pin could hit the ejector and go off if pulled super fast. After the slide is back I allow the live round fall through the grip and land on a soft surface below.

Muzzle control while unloading is obviously crucial.

Safe procedures for your gun may differ!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
....snip.... the chance exists that a live round's firing pin could hit the ejector and go off if pulled super fast.

Translate please - that does not compute.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

TheQ

Translate please - that does not compute.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Inside the chamber is an ejector knob (best I can describe it). The ejector claw pulls the shell backward and the rear side of the rim hits that knob which causes the round to go flying out. You may notice if you do it yourself that the knob is a mm or so away from the blasting cap when it hits the rear rim. If you pulled it fast and it instead struck the primer -- well, I'd hate to have my hand over the opened breach....

...your friends may be left to calling you "stumpy" the rest of your days.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It's true if his state cop buddy works in California (without a license/permit), otherwise no. There's no law in Michigan that prohibits a chambered round while OC or CC. Furthermore, since September 2004, other than using your pistol to hunt deer, there's no law that regulates the number of rounds (capacity) of your pistol.

I think Utah also requires that OC w/out a permit be done, as they call it, "so many steps" from being able to shoot. Also, I think the restriction on # of rounds applies only in the southern Michigan "shotgun-only zone" and only for deer hunting, but I could be wrong.

BTW, have you ever noticed that almost every LEO or BG on TV racks their slide before going into action? LOL

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Inside the chamber is an ejector knob (best I can describe it). The ejector claw pulls the shell backward and the rear side of the rim hits that knob which causes the round to go flying out. You may notice if you do it yourself that the knob is a mm or so away from the blasting cap when it hits the rear rim. If you pulled it fast and it instead struck the primer -- well, I'd hate to have my hand over the opened breach....

...your friends may be left to calling you "stumpy" the rest of your days.

If that is in fact a common condition for a XDm, I would never own one. In fairness, I have not heard of this before.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
BTW, have you ever noticed that almost every LEO or BG on TV racks their slide before going into action? LOL

They have the advantage of having read the script, so they know when the action begins!

The rest of us, not so much....

WalkingWolf

Unloaded Gun == Paperweight

I am unsure of the current regulations for the US Army but a empty chamber was the regulation for members of the Army for ages. While we do not have those regulations here in NC it really is only a split second from the holster to put a round in the chamber and fire. Unless a LEO there are only two reasons to draw, one to store the firearm, or two to fire whether on the range or the in self defense. If I lived in a state with such regulations where the gun had to be loaded and unloaded a gun with a decocking device or a revolver would be my choice. But I usually carry a revolver anyway. To be perfectly honest most people do not bother to be trained or train themselves with a 1911 that is why there are so many AD/ND with that weapon. Revolvers are just safer not because of the design but because of the person behind the gun.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Respectfully, I would suggest that you take a class that covers the operation of a firearm. Unless the ejector breaks off and jams between the face of the slide and the round, it is impossible for the ejector to hit the primer and set off the round. Look at it this way, do you REALLY think that it is POSSIBLE for you to manually pull the slade back faster and with more force than the action of the pistol when the round is fired? If your theory were even possible, let alone likely, but even possible, it would cause the gun to go full auto if it ever happened when firing the gun. I don't mean to be cruel in my post, but it just doesn't make sense that pulling the slide to the rear manually too quickly could cause an accidental discharge when you can't manually pull it with even a small fraction of the force and speed of the action caused by the round firing.

True; I suspect he was thinking of a half-fast yank on the slide, which could result in the live round not clearing and getting cockeyed, but by that time, the slide would come forward covering the ejector pin. Anything is possible, caution is good, training and caution is better.

xmanhockey7

I think Utah also requires that OC w/out a permit be done, as they call it, "so many steps" from being able to shoot. Also, I think the restriction on # of rounds applies only in the southern Michigan "shotgun-only zone" and only for deer hunting, but I could be wrong.

They sometimes they even do it twice! Or there's the sound effect of racking the slide but no one racked their slide. lol

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I am unsure of the current regulations for the US Army but a empty chamber was the regulation for members of the Army for ages. While we do not have those regulations here in NC it really is only a split second from the holster to put a round in the chamber and fire. Unless a LEO there are only two reasons to draw, one to store the firearm, or two to fire whether on the range or the in self defense. If I lived in a state with such regulations where the gun had to be loaded and unloaded a gun with a decocking device or a revolver would be my choice. But I usually carry a revolver anyway. To be perfectly honest most people do not bother to be trained or train themselves with a 1911 that is why there are so many AD/ND with that weapon. Revolvers are just safer not because of the design but because of the person behind the gun.

When I worked for a military contractor in Germany, I was armed with one in the chamber but the guard at the gate which I drove through everyday had an empty rifle.

DocWalker

*edit*

For edc, carring without a round chambered seems silly.

I am not opposed to carrying without one in the pipe in some circumstances, especially for non cpl holders.
Constantly loading and unloading a pistol increases the likelihood of a negligent/accidental discharge.

One must weigh all the factors before making their decision.

As far as legality, it's perfectly lawful. When a person insists that a certain activity is unlawful, ask them to provide a cite. The mi legislature website has an excellent search feature.

Or one could just leave it loaded the entire time they are out and about, after all the only reason it your sidearm should come out of your holster is if you actually need it. Then it may be a little late to rack one into the pipe.

Again suggest the carry of the tri-folds or cards when OCing, and a recorder (if legal in your state) ecspecially if you are OCing alone.

xmanhockey7

Or one could just leave it loaded the entire time they are out and about, after all the only reason it your sidearm should come out of your holster is if you actually need it. Then it may be a little late to rack one into the pipe.

Again suggest the carry of the tri-folds or cards when OCing, and a recorder (if legal in your state) ecspecially if you are OCing alone.

Those of us without CPL's cannot. To transport the pistol in our vehicle it must be unloaded and in a container designed for transporting a pistol. Trust me it's not gun and really discourages OC if you are going in and out of a business.