• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry regulations in aurora colorado

Rambelin

I am 18 and new to the forum, i want to start carrying, more for personal defense and to exercise my rights in a responsible manner. id like to kick off by asking a couple questions about open carry that are a bit confusing to me, ill go over what i think i understand first. my firearm of choice is a 91/30 7.62x54r mosin nagant

if you are familiar with colorado i live near arapahoe crossings which is fairly close to regis high school.

- NO carrying 1000 ft from a school
- NO carrying into denver, city halls, public transportation centers and the like
- Long gun is ok in vehicle as long as it is un-chambered and visible

My questions are:
-Is it ok to sling the rifle over my shoulder and carry it that way?
-if i am stopped on foot by officers and they ask for my licence do i have to present it?
-are stores that are un-posted ok to enter as long as i am not asked to leave?
-Can i carry a shotgun loaded with non lethal bean bag rounds?

Aknazer

First I would like to direct you to rule #14:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

My next question is, why carry a rifle instead of a pistol? You can still buy a pistol from a private seller or one could be gifted to you. I would never tell someone to not exercise their rights, but this forum is not meant for talking about long guns and I personally think that with the current setting in the country it "typically" is more harm than good. Work on normalizing hand gun OC before pushing to get something like long guns accepted imo (unless you're in a place like CA which has boxed you into a corner).

Rambelin

First I would like to direct you to rule #14:

My next question is, why carry a rifle instead of a pistol? You can still buy a pistol from a private seller or one could be gifted to you. Work on normalizing hand gun OC before pushing to get something like long guns accepted imo

I do not live in california and i think my possession of a handgun at the age of 18 in colorado is illegal, even if it wasen't there is no lawful way for me to purchase or receive the ammunition for it, and i cant lie at the counter either because that is a felony. that is why i was pursuing a long gun, im confused about why long gun topics are not allowed. also there is no forum for rifle carry.

Aknazer

I do not live in california and i think my possession of a handgun at the age of 18 in colorado is illegal, even if it wasen't there is no lawful way for me to purchase or receive the ammunition for it, and i cant lie at the counter either because that is a felony. that is why i was pursuing a long gun, im confused about why long gun topics are not allowed. also there is no forum for rifle carry.

This site is focused on handgun OC unless that is specifically illegal (hence the clause about California where long gun OC is the only way to lawfully OC). As this site is focused on hangun carry that is why long gun topics are not allowed and why there isn't a section for rifle carry. As for the ammo issue, there is ways around that as well. I believe the private seller/gift method would work for ammo. You could also look into the actual ammo laws as it "might" be legal for you to simply give the money to someone of age and have them buy it, then give it to you (for a gun this would be a "straw purchase" but I don't know what the state/federal laws on this are for ammo since it's legal to own the ammo and I'm over 21 and don't have to do this).

jimpen

May want to read this site -- http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs -- for OC at your age.

You can legally possess a handgun. I can't find anything about legality of ammo purchase. But both 9mm and .45 ACP are also common carbine rounds.

derhammer

If you can get the pistol as a gift and your parents will buy you ammo as well, OC a pistol. I mean, if you WANT to OC a long gun, go for it, but it's gonna get you WAY more trouble and look kind of silly - and I say this advisedly since I am planning long gun carry myself, since I am also 18, and, while I can possess and OC a pistol here in PA, I can't get in a car with it. Thus, I'll have a pistol, but I'll only be able to carry it if my ma gets her LTCF and holds on to it for me while we're in the car. So, for all other times when I'm out alone, I'm going to have to take a rifle.

But, yeah, if there's no restriction on having a pistol in a car in your state, go with the pistol. And, no, you cannot buy handgun ammo under 21 if the dealer has an FFL. If they don't, you can.

-derhammer

Last edited:

derhammer

SECTION 9. 16-3-103 (1), Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended to read:

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect. (1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

I don't know why Wikipedia lists Colorado along with the "stop and identify" states, since this is basically the same as everywhere else - they have to have Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (RAS) to ask for your ID. No RAS of a crime, no need to show ID. "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?"

-derhammer