• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill O'Reilly's gun control rant on Fox

Chaingun81

Probably old news for most of us, as Bill O'Reilly is a known pro-big government neo-con who likes more laws, mandatory sentences and all other kinds of liberty-suppressing ideas. But what I saw today was way worse than usual.

He was hysterically screaming for new federal laws that would require people to report purchases of "heavy" weapons to FBI. I have no idea what "heavy" weapons are - but according to him they include RPGs, Howitzers, cannons, machine guns, AK-47s, assault rifles, full autos, semi autos, etc. He pulled out every strawman there is about guns and threw it out there in one big pile during his hysterical feat.

Oh, and apparently all of these things - from semi-autos to howitzers - can be bought at gun shows with no questions asked. The congressman he was interviewing was trying to explain differences between full autos and semi autos, private sales and FFLs, complete absence of artillery cannons on civilian gun market; but Bill wouldn't listen to anything - all "heavy" weapons and "mass" purchases of "heavy duty" ammunition must be reported to FBI.

The saddest thing is that he repeatedly claimed being pro-gun and a supporter of 2nd amendment while spewing this nonsense. Brady Bunch must be jealous! Enjoy: http://video.foxnews.com/v/1752177459001/

Nevada carrier

@billoreilly

Please learn what the difference is between a fully automatic and semi-auto.

And no, you cannot just buy a full-auto from any schmo at a gun show. Well, I suppose you could do this, but you would be breaking the law. You cannot transfer ownership of NFA firearms this way.

No, the shooter didn't buy 60,000 rounds, he bought 6,000 rounds, and if you knew much about gun owners in this country you would understand that this is a pretty small number relative to what many people have on hand.

Ca Patriot

I am a Bill O'Reilly fan, been watching him for years. I always knew he was in favor of "some" gun control but his display tonight was HORRIFIC. He was ranting like a mad man and screaming and just not making any sense. He had just about all of his facts wrong and he cut off every answer that the congressman tried to give.

I had to turn it off. I couldnt watch it.

When the shooting happened I wasnt worried about support for any new measures for gun control but now I am starting to get worried.

When conservatives with millions of viewers starting spreading FUD like this in conjunction with the liberal FUD the people start believing it.

My own mom thinks its crazy and dangerous that I buy ammo online and she thinks that since O'Reilly said it then it must be true.

Holy crap Bill O'Reilly thinks the FBI should now know when I purchase ammo online and I should be in a data base !!!!

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just like any opinion commentator, there are some things O'Reilly says with which I agree and some I don't. The biggest problem I have with him, other than his insidious interrupting of his guests, is the fact that he is not consistent in his opinions. Hannity is better and perhaps the best of the lot is Mark Levin. Mark is a strict constitutionalist which is also where I sit. He is the most grounded and consistent of the lot.

O'Reilly's rant in this video just shows that he is little different that most new people. Knows very little about firearms and the laws that affect them. One of the dead giveaways enabling you to immediately spot someone like this is when they refer to AR15's and civilian versions of AK47's as "assault rifles [or weapons]". As soon as they do this, their credibility is shot.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I felt a little sick when I saw him making such misleading false assertions about firearms. And then advocating that people's firearm/ammunition purchases be reported to and recorded by the FBI. Disgusting.

nobama

I just sent him an E mail telling him in a nice way to learn before you speak.

Contrarian

O'reilly Oh, really?

Remember the first rule of video 'journalism'...make noise.

Bill is highly competent to do this. He may have simply misspoken about the '60,000' rounds of ammo, but that does not excuse
his obvious lack of correct information on heavy weapons (?) and the rest.

His constant habit of interrupting a response is just juvenile.

FallonJeeper

I usually like what he says, but this seems to be some grandstanding. He needs others to see that he cares and is outraged = ratings. That's fine, but back the outrage up, with facts.

KBCraig

I am a Bill O'Reilly fan, been watching him for years. I always knew he was in favor of "some" gun control but his display tonight was HORRIFIC. He was ranting like a mad man and screaming and just not making any sense. He had just about all of his facts wrong and he cut off every answer that the congressman tried to give.
In other words, it was just like every other episode of his show, except this was a topic where you disagree with him, and know he's incorrect.

Jack House

In other words, it was just like every other episode of his show, except this was a topic where you disagree with him, and know he's incorrect.
+1 Even when I agree with whatever bile Bill O'Reilly is spewing, it's still bile and his behavior is just plain disgusting.

Ca Patriot

No I think the vast majority of the time he is very respectful. Unlike most television op ed shows its his policy to invite anyone onto the show that he profiles.

Jack House

He might be respectable when compared to Nancy Grace, but that's like comparing a politician to Satan. Just because the politician's sins far exceed that of Satan, doesn't mean that Satan is a sweet little angel. :rolleyes:

Wait, I might have that backwards. It's pretty hard to tell sometimes. :uhoh: