• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3D printing may spell the beginning of the end for gun control

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The lower receiver of the gun pictured at the top of this article was not purchased from a licensed dealer, nor was it purchased from an individual.

This lower was ‘printed’ using a 3D printer and it may spell the beginning of the end for the gun control movement.

And thanks to engineer Michael Guslick, who ‘printed’ the lower pictured above from a design of his own creation, 3D printing of functional firearms has moved beyond the realm of the possible into the actual; and things will never be the same again.

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1447

Fallschirjmäger

Printing a 3D receiver in polymer to mimic one that was constructed in aluminum or other metals probably isn't the best idea from an engineering standpoint but.....

... printing a 3D receiver in polymer while taking into account the differences between aluminum and polymer can lead to some wonderful, advanced designs. The only thing a 3d lower really needs is a steel sub-chassis to hold the pins firmly and you're well on the way to having a lower that can last for years of use.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Printing a 3D receiver in polymer to mimic one that was constructed in aluminum or other metals probably isn't the best idea from an engineering standpoint but.....

... printing a 3D receiver in polymer while taking into account the differences between aluminum and polymer can lead to some wonderful, advanced designs. The only thing a 3d lower really needs is a steel sub-chassis to hold the pins firmly and you're well on the way to having a lower that can last for years of use.

And steel and other metals are possible as well. See

http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/...tainless-steel

http://3dprinting.com/materials/meta...rinting-metal/

http://www.shapeways.com/themes/stai...inting_gallery

Jack House

*facepalm*

I hate this story. As far as I know, the only proof that this story is true, is the originator's own words. Which ain't reliable. We could claim anything. A big concern I have is the media using it to fearmonger. "NEW TECHNOLOGY LETS YOU DOWNLOAD AUTOMATIC DEATH MACHINES!!!" -____-

The whole "gun control is doomed!" angle is purely the product of anti-rights advocates fearmongering trying to reinvigorate the anti-rights base.

Does anyone truly believe this tech will lead to a libertarian revolution? I only see new legislation aimed at censoring and severely regulating the internet, 3D printers and anything else connected.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
*facepalm*

I hate this story. As far as I know, the only proof that this story is true, is the originator's own words. Which ain't reliable. We could claim anything. A big concern I have is the media using it to fearmonger. "NEW TECHNOLOGY LETS YOU DOWNLOAD AUTOMATIC DEATH MACHINES!!!" -____-

The whole "gun control is doomed!" angle is purely the product of anti-rights advocates fearmongering trying to reinvigorate the anti-rights base.

Does anyone truly believe this tech will lead to a libertarian revolution? I only see new legislation aimed at censoring and severely regulating the internet, 3D printers and anything else connected.

I don't think anyone sees a 'revolution'. Rather, it moves the bar as far as the public policy argument is concerned. That is the focus of my interest in the story; hence my article.

As for hating it because it might give rise to further demands for gun control ... you can't put the genie back in the bottle. The story is out there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is hardly science fiction.

CAD controlled milling machines and laser cutters are common place in many industries.

See this as just another step in a similar direction.

twoskinsonemanns

I've seen 3D printers maker some very cool stuff. I don't think this is "far off" or "unlikely to happen" at all.

Also their are already very reliable polymer AR lowers available right now.

OT: One other thing, anyone can buy an 80% complete aluminum lower without a serial number or FFL transfer and finish it themselves with a little machining. Completely legal.

ALOC1911

Doesn't matter how you do it that would still be manufacturing a gun without a license which is still very illegal.

The Airframer

I don't think we have anything to look forward to with 3D printers.

My POS 2D printer doesn't print black in white half the time without an hour or so of troubleshooting first.:banghead:

ALOC1911

Last edited:

RockyMtnScotsman

1st question on the list of frequently asked questions states a license is required to manufacture guns.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

If you search for this on google (27 CFR 478.41) you'll find a letter stating the gun control act of 1968 says anyone wishing to manufacture guns must get a license from the atty gen. before doing so.

note the words "engages in the business of" preceding "manufacture" in your link.

If one keeps the firearm for personal use and it's not an NFA firearm, there's no law prohibiting the manufacture of firearms ....yet ...... until/unless one decides to sell it - then you need to be licensed

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

note the words "engages in the business of" preceding "manufacture" in your link.

If one keeps the firearm for personal use and it's not an NFA firearm, there's no law prohibiting the manufacture of firearms ....yet ...... until/unless one decides to sell it - then you need to be licensed

Bingo!

sudden valley gunner

John is right once the Genie is out of the bottle, technology and human ingenuity will advance the product. I do see a future in this.

But be prepared for more government control because "terrorists" are printing off guns.

When can I print my own drone?