• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo in fires....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ojthehugemanatee.jpg

But maybe this will calm some of the hysteria and result in firefighters actually fighting fires whwere they know ammunition is stored.

stay safe.

self preservation

View attachment 9653

But maybe this will calm some of the hysteria and result in firefighters actually fighting fires whwere they know ammunition is stored.

stay safe.

We already do. Ammo that is simply stored will just simply explode and for the most part is no big concern. The casing with travel farther than the bullet itself. Now if it's a chambered round and it discharges due to a fire...different story.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/169264

Sheldon

We already do. Ammo that is simply stored will just simply explode and for the most part is no big concern. The casing with travel farther than the bullet itself. Now if it's a chambered round and it discharges due to a fire...different story.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/169264

Myth busters did a story on that a few years back. they put a hand gun in an electric oven and turned it on, I believe the cook off point was around 400 degrees, and yes it went through the side.....

EDIT I still cannot find a video link to the myth busters story but I have narrowed it down to 2007 episode 85...

Last edited:

self preservation

Myth busters did a story on that a few years back. they put a hand gun in an electric oven and turned it on, I believe the cook off point was around 400 degrees, and yes it went through the side.....

I've been on a ton of fires with live ammo in it. You hear a lot of pop,pop but nothing more. When you hear bang, bang then it's time to worry. 400 degrees is mild for a house fire. Most house fire will reach 1200+ degrees at times so it's not unusual for a chambered round to go off.(or stored for that matter)

Grizz272

When I was Fire Chief back in the 1980's we had 2 car fires with ammo in them . Each time the owners did not tell us till after the fire.(Thanks a lot) Did some research and found an article in Fire engineering magazine. ( think that was the mag) Anyway. The results of their tests said the only thing to really worry about was the primers coming out the back. They would not penetrate turn out gear but might get some blood if they hit bare skin.