• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another school board looking to ban open carry.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Trustees want tougher gun-carry ban in schoolsI had to look this town up. I didn't realize it was in Michigan.

I especially liked the comment by the proposer of the ban:
"Police officers go through advanced training – he puts himself in harm's way to protect the citizens of community, and he's trained for that," McGinnis said. "My concern is with people, especially people who recently got a concealed permit, went through one or two days of training, now they're an expert – in an emergency, if they're not truly prepared, it could be turned and used on them."

Like she even knows who I, or any other OCer really is. She has NO CLUE how much training I've had, or not had. It's people who assume this stuff that really tick me off.

Ezerharden

Lets see, I am an Army Veteran (combat Veteran), have 13 years experience in armed Nuclear Security, and I am not as qualified as some cop who spends a few hours a year on a range?

I see again the same inaccuracies in thought and reporting, such as:

"You can't take a gun into banks, church, courts, theaters, sports arenas, day care centers, hospitals, and bars, but you can into school? I have a real problem with that," he said.

and:

"I'm very comfortable with sending a resolution to the legislature saying we don't think this is a good idea," Egan said. "You can't carry in state legislature. If that's good for them, why not for students?"

Both are inaccurate statements.

But you can't use logic, facts, and reason with liberals, they are allergic to them.

God I wish they had a comments section! I did however email the author to "educate" him.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If a person with ill-intent came into my children's school and began shooting, I wouldn't care how much training another person who is willing to shoot the miscreant has. My humble opinion is that, at the point someone starts shooting, any opposition is better than none. Even if, as the superintendent believes, the miscreant takes the person's gun and uses it against them, at a minimum it slows them down. Of course, having people trained appropriately is better, but much like almost any other emergency situation, intervention by anyone is desirable in comparison to the alternative.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Lets see, I am an Army Veteran (combat Veteran), have 13 years experience in armed Nuclear Security, and I am not as qualified as some cop who spends a few hours a year on a range?

I see again the same inaccuracies in thought and reporting, such as:

and:

Both are inaccurate statements.

But you can't use logic, facts, and reason with liberals, they are allergic to them.

God I wish they had a comments section! I did however email the author to "educate" him.

Ezerharden, it is sad they don't understand the law well enough to realize that...sadder yet that they were most likely advised by legal counsel.
The schools around Grand Rapids that have asked the legislature to "ban handguns" from schools have asked that they be added to the places listed in MCL 750.237d. Of course, they don't realize that pistols are already prohibited in the same manner as what they are asking in MCL 750.237a(4).

OC4me

If a person with ill-intent came into my children's school and began shooting, I wouldn't care how much training another person who is willing to shoot the miscreant has. My humble opinion is that, at the point someone starts shooting, any opposition is better than none. Even if, as the superintendent believes, the miscreant takes the person's gun and uses it against them, at a minimum it slows them down. Of course, having people trained appropriately is better, but much like almost any other emergency situation, intervention by anyone is desirable in comparison to the alternative.

"A shoot-out is better than a massacre!"

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
It's very strange that the MSM keeps repeating the lie that open carry is banned in bars banks etc. in Michigan.

It's like purposeful misinformation
That's because they never read all of the applicable laws. Consequently, they're totally ignorant. :)

bigt8261

This situation is double edged.

More school boards passing this type of resolution is generally not good. However, as they are all getting the laws very wrong, and most are passing these resolutions without having an issue themselves, they are making themselves appear illegitimate. IE, emotional.

It's hard to tell if this is hurting or helping them.

DeSchaine

Personally, I think they've opened themselves up to some serious lawsuits here. I think that any school administration that takes a law abiding citizen and lumps them in with common criminals in the way they treat us, should be sued for defamation. A holstered weapon, contrary to recent thinking by paranoid people in GR and various school systems, does NOT constitute a threat, and the treatment of it as such is a violation the laws.

Raggs

Personally, I think they've opened themselves up to some serious lawsuits here. I think that any school administration that takes a law abiding citizen and lumps them in with common criminals in the way they treat us, should be sued for defamation. A holstered weapon, contrary to recent thinking by paranoid people in GR and various school systems, does NOT constitute a threat, and the treatment of it as such is a violation the laws.

It would be nice if a defamation lawsuit could be won, not sure it could though.

m.marino

I believe it just be winnable with the proper approach. If anyone wish to know what that approach is please pm me and will gladly share for critical honest review. I won't post openly as that is giving information to Troll's and was trained better then that. There are the tools to do it with and many of them current research from groups that are not pro gun. Anyway until we can get someone to directly challenge it is a mental exercise in court debate (which is only useful if preparing for court action). So Best to prepare and build a battle chest as this is going to be ugly no matter how it pans out. -Michael

fozzy71

http://www.candgnews.com/news/school-board-opposes-open-carry-firearms-schools

ROSEVILLE
December 22, 2013
School board opposes open carry of firearms in schools

ROSEVILLE — During its Dec. 16 meeting, the Roseville Community Schools Board of Education approved a resolution in support of prohibiting openly carrying firearms within any school buildings.

Superintendent John Kment said the resolution throws the district’s support behind what he considers a hole in Michigan’s penal code, which does not ban openly carrying guns into schools.

FreeInAZ

Folks - just pointing out the obvious (I hope), this is clearly a coordinated effort on the part of MI school systems. I wouldn't be surprised if there may even be false reports of open carriers on tap for the future on their agenda to keep the "loop hole" issue in the media. Enough "lock downs" false or not - may prompt the hemorrhoids in Lansing to give them what they want. A TOTAL BAN on legal firearms in schools across Michigan. FYI...

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Folks - just pointing out the obvious (I hope), this is clearly a coordinated effort on the part of MI school systems. I wouldn't be surprised if there may even be false reports of open carriers on tap for the future on their agenda to keep the "loop hole" issue in the media. Enough "lock downs" false or not - may prompt the hemorrhoids in Lansing to give them what they want. A TOTAL BAN on legal firearms in schools across Michigan. FYI...

My guess is that the Michigan Association of School Boards is involved in this.

B

Bikenut

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that Soro's "mini me" Bloomberg and his money are involved in using school boards as a way of pressuring legislators to attack the right to bear arms.

Do I need a tin foil hat? Or could that be a possibility considering how low and sneaky liberals operate?

Armiger

My guess is that the Michigan Association of School Boards is involved in this.

Your guess is correct. I received this as part of an email from them on October 18, 2013:

Resolution Addressing Open Carry of Firearms in Schools

Current law lists the places where it is prohibited to carry a firearm including day care centers, hospitals and sporting arenas, but does not specifically list public schools. Recently, it has been brought to MASB’s attention that this has become an issue in a few of our schools. People who have a legal right to carry a firearm openly are entering our schools and the schools, upon seeing the weapon, enter into a lockdown. This unnecessarily disrupts the day for the students and a public school has no recourse to ban the weapon on its grounds.

This week, Rockford Public Schools passed a resolution urging the Michigan Legislature to add schools to the list of places where it is prohibited to openly carry a firearm. MASB supports their efforts and urges any of our members who are facing similar situations to join Rockford in adopting this resolution.

aadvark

Arminger:

..., and I would Reply This:

Unfortuately, Current Michigan Codified Law 750.237a(5)(c) and Public Act 319 of 1990 Preempt and Preclude Your Unlawful Resolution from having The Effect of Law.
You would be Wise to Reconsider, and to Remember, The Precedent Created under The CADL Ruling Regarding The Courts' Finding that The State of Michigan has so Extensively Regulated into The Subject that Your Resolution would Surely Meet a Similiar Fate.

Please Reconsider again, as Lawsuits are Costly, and Declartory Judgements are even Costlier!

Respectfully Submitted,

X