• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is that a K-9?

Wstar425

Got asked again last night while out on a walk with the German Shepherd while OC if that is a K-9? She is on a short leash, or off leash heel directly at my side. I can understand why some people might think I'm some type of law enforcement. The other question is, Is she in training?

The answer to both questions is YES!

She is a canine and she is in training. However she is not a Police K-9, nor is she in any kind of training where she could not be pet by others. I think this is the question most people really want to know.

How best to deal with this? I'm NOT trying to give off the impression I am law enforcement. And, my dog can be pet by anyone, as long as you ask. The owner does at times get a little surly with adults who pet without asking. I differ my answer sometimes depending on my suspicions of where it's going.

But, Is that a canine? Well, it's most certainly not a feline.

Thoughts?

davidmcbeth

Banned
K9-5.JPG

here's a pic of K-9 ^^^

What kind of idiot is peppering you with these questions?

Tell them to go away.

Wstar425

K9-5.JPG

here's a pic of K-9 ^^^

What kind of idiot is peppering you with these questions?

Tell them to go away.

What the hell is the matter with you?

How would I know what kind of people they are? I imagine they are people interested in dogs, people who are being friendly, people who are being polite, people that are normal. Never mind, I see the problem.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
What the hell is the matter with you?

I imagine they are people interested in dogs, people who are friendly, people who are polite, people that are normal. Never mind, I see the problem.

My advice to OP was to tell people who want to barrage him with interrogatories to tell them to go away.

What you no likey K-9 ?

Wstar425

My advice to OP was to tell people who want to barrage him with interrogatories to tell them to go away.

What you no likey K-9 ?

I AM the OP.

I don't see one question as being a "barrage". I actually enjoy talking to people, for the most part. There are a few exceptions. I like K-9s and canines. My point, which apparently I failed miserably to make is, when people say K-9 it sounds exactly like canine. I assume most people asking a guy with a tucked in collared shirt, open carrying a handgun, attached to a German Shepherd via a 6 inch leash, are asking about a K-9 police dog? I'm going out on a limb here, but assuming most people can tell the difference between a canine and a feline. Yet, I wonder.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I AM the OP.

I don't see one question as being a "barrage". I actually enjoy talking to people, for the most part. There are a few exceptions. I like K-9s and canines. My point, which apparently I failed miserably to make is, when people say K-9 it sounds exactly like canine. I assume most people asking a guy with a tucked in collared shirt, open carrying a handgun, attached to a German Shepherd via a 6 inch leash, are asking about a K-9 police dog? I'm going out on a limb here, but assuming most people can tell the difference between a canine and a feline. Yet, I wonder.

So you don't mind answering questions....your 1st post indicated otherwise. Continue answering questions then ... I's wondering why you posted now.

Clearly you are walking around other folks, hence the short lease. Right? That's not odd.

Wstar425

So you don't mind answering questions....your 1st post indicated otherwise. Continue answering questions then ... I's wondering why you posted now.

Clearly you are walking around other folks, hence the short lease. Right? That's not odd.

Don't mind answering questions about the dog. Not sure why you thought otherwise. My inquiry was to how to respond to the question, Is that a K-9/canine? To which you have so far offered no insight other than to tell them to go away.

My dog is on a short leash, sometimes no leash heel. Other dogs are on 6 foot leashes, 25 foot retractable leashes, harnesses, some times no leash and no control. From my experience, a 6 inch leash is entirely not the norm, in fact I had to tie knots in a 18" leash. I suspect if I had her on a 25 foot retractable leash and she was jumping on everyone within 24 feet of me, not many would ask if she is a K-9. I think the K-9 question comes from being on a short leash/well trained. I don't know tho for sure, maybe I should start asking people why they think she is a K-9? Or, I suppose I could say no, she self identifies with being a feline.......

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I AM the OP.

Two things:

1) As you noted, a single question is hardly a barrage - you know, like the barrage of comments & questions you have received from a particularly prolific poster. IMHO, the value of one's posts is inversely correlated to the quantity of one's posts - if you get my drift.

2) You asked "How best to deal with this?" - and by "this" I presume you mean the assumption that you're a cop and your dog is a police dog? I think you've got it right - people are pronouncing K-9 like "canine", and meaning "Is that a police dog?" I'd just say "No, he's our family dog."

Of course, it could well be that people in your neck of the woods don't know the words "canine" and "feline". ;)

Last edited:

Wstar425

Two things:

1) As you noted, a single question is hardly a barrage - you know, like the barrage of comments & questions you have received from a particularly prolific poster. IMHO, the value of one's posts is inversely correlated to the quantity of one's posts - if you get my drift.

2) You asked "How best to deal with this?" - and by "this" I presume you mean the assumption that you're a cop and your dog is a police dog? I think you've got it right - people are pronouncing K-9 like "canine", and meaning "Is that a police dog?" I'd just say "No, he's our family dog."

Of course, it could well be that people in your neck of the woods don't know the words "canine" and "feline". ;)

Thanks!

The unscientific survey is ten dog questions for every one gun question. I'm sure the combination dog/man with a gun shouts police officer to some? Once I answer no/family pet to the, Is she a K-9? question, you can sometimes see the puzzled looks. I think after two years I am beginning to be somewhat known at the local ice cream shoppe past which we walk. Yet, it's a tourist trap so new "victims" constantly appear!

I generally keep walking, rarely initiate a conversation, but I will stop and brag up my dog if someone asks about her. That has lead into conversations about guns, but it is not the norm.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks!

The unscientific survey is ten dog questions for every one gun question. I'm sure the combination dog/man with a gun shouts police officer to some? Once I answer no/family pet to the, Is she a K-9? question, you can sometimes see the puzzled looks. I think after two years I am beginning to be somewhat known at the local ice cream shoppe past which we walk. Yet, it's a tourist trap so new "victims" constantly appear!

I generally keep walking, rarely initiate a conversation, but I will stop and brag up my dog if someone asks about her. That has lead into conversations about guns, but it is not the norm.
On the most recent OC Walk I conducted, a few people brought their dogs, and to their great pleasure, they were question magnets because of the dogs.

One of the fellows is single, and as you can imagine, his dog was also a babe magnet! ;)

Here's the Walk if you're interested: https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/

Last edited:

solus

I AM the OP.

ca nine...

so when the K-9 team is off duty, don't they go by their first names...officer friday or 'sweetcakes' to their family and friends?

ipse

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
How best to deal with this?

Assuming a friendly, polite question about "K-9" or "training", I think a nice response would be, "She's the family pet, is quite friendly, and you're welcome to pet her if you'd like."

That conveys the essence of what most folks would be asking without automatically opening the door to whether you are an LEO, or why you are OCing, etc.

As for idiots who presume to pet a dog without asking first, I'm not sure of the best response there. "Wow. He about took off the arm of the last guy who tried that...." might be fun to try. :)

Many years ago I was out walking my Akita when a police car drove by, busted a semi-legal U-turn and came to a stop near me. A female office jumped out, came running over, dropped to her knees and gave my dog the full body pet and hug before I had time to even say, "He's shedding a lot right now."

Her uniform was absolutely covered in dog fur and she said almost with tears in her eyes, "I don't care about fur. I just had to put my Akita down last month. This is the first one I've seen since then." He was a beautiful specimen with an amazing personality.

We chatted for a few minutes before she had to get back to work. The whole thing was a little gutsy, or rash, on her part. But I certainly couldn't blame her given the circumstances. And not like my over-grown pup didn't love the attention.

I've since seen my pup go to the big dog ranch in the sky. I understand what that lady was feeling.

Charles

Wstar425

Assuming a friendly, polite question about "K-9" or "training", I think a nice response would be, "She's the family pet, is quite friendly, and you're welcome to pet her if you'd like."

That conveys the essence of what most folks would be asking without automatically opening the door to whether you are an LEO, or why you are OCing, etc.

As for idiots who presume to pet a dog without asking first, I'm not sure of the best response there. "Wow. He about took off the arm of the last guy who tried that...." might be fun to try. :)

Many years ago I was out walking my Akita when a police car drove by, busted a semi-legal U-turn and came to a stop near me. A female office jumped out, came running over, dropped to her knees and gave my dog the full body pet and hug before I had time to even say, "He's shedding a lot right now."

Her uniform was absolutely covered in dog fur and she said almost with tears in her eyes, "I don't care about fur. I just had to put my Akita down last month. This is the first one I've seen since then." He was a beautiful specimen with an amazing personality.

We chatted for a few minutes before she had to get back to work. The whole thing was a little gutsy, or rash, on her part. But I certainly couldn't blame her given the circumstances. And not like my over-grown pup didn't love the attention.

I've since seen my pup go to the big dog ranch in the sky. I understand what that lady was feeling.

Charles

Thanks, that sums it up nicely. Hits all my points and never mentions anything about a firearm. I could still be an off duty police officer with that answer, just not a police dog. That would/could then initiate another conversation in a different direction. I'll stand and talk guns, but I don't ever start that conversation in public.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I am not a dog lover but would consider an Akita when the time is right.

I hope they never become too popular, lest a bunch of idiots ruin their reputation by mistreating them hoping to make them tough as has happened with some other breeds that were previously considered good.

But between you and me, they are a wonderful breed. They were bred for both hunting and companionship. They are both fiercely loyal and highly protective of anything they consider to be "theirs": whether their territory, their kids/family, their cows, even their house cats. Google the story of the statue of Hachico the Akita at the Tokyo subway station. The first two in this nation were owned by none other than Heller Keller. The breed was almost lost during WWII as the Japanese were so low on food that eating large dogs made far more sense than feeding them.

They have the advantage of being a large dog that doesn't actually require nearly as much physical activity (once mature) as do most sporting type dogs. They tend not to be barkers, unless exposed to barking dogs and left bored and unattended. They do best in homes where someone is home all day. They both provide and need companionship.

Warnings: There is a lot of fur to clean up. And then summer hits and they start shedding. :) I managed to run a Kirby to its death keeping my house clean for the 15 years I had my Akita. And they are insanely destructive when teething. Lots of chew toys and constant supervision helps. Mine still tried to--and partially succeeded at--gnawing his way through my hot tub. The wood fence didn't stand a chance. No choice but to repair it when needed and spend a little more time with the dog. Which brings up the last warning, an unaltered male just about cannot be confined if unsupervised. They don't really fully mature until about 2 years of age, rather than the 1 year mark more typical in other dogs. And they suffer the fairly short life span of large dogs. I managed to get at least 3 years longer than typical. They are gone from you far too soon.

They are so cute when small (with seemingly full sized paws), and so difficult when teething and so large when grown, that there tend to be a ready supply of year old Akitas in need of good homes through various dog rescue organizations around the country. Those interested in one should do the breed and their pocketbooks a favor and avoid buying puppies. Get a rescue dog.

All the best.

Charles

Wstar425

Had two people on last evening's walk ask me the: Is that a K-9 question. Responded both times with, she is a family pet, very friendly and you are welcome to pet her. Both conversations went to dog stories about past and present pets. No mention of firearms, or my possible LE status. Hard to miss my OC firearm and I could tell that both groups did not.

Did not get an opportunity to use the WOW, she almost ripped off the arm of the last person to do that response, but looking forward to it!

Traffic will be busy on the trail, around and near the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe for the summer. Will be restaining cedar siding on the house most of the day, but sure we will make a swing or two past there at some point.

D

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Hard to miss my OC firearm and I could tell that both groups did not. ...
Very clearly, at least to me, your OCed firearm combined with the presence of your dog is what prompts the assumption that you're a LEO, and that your dog is a LEO dog. Leave one of those elements home and the interaction (if there was one) would most likely change.

I envy you - you get to have all sorts of conversations with people! Regardless of how few or how many involve OC, by your demeanor you're no doubt making a positive impression regarding those who open carry. :cool:

Wstar425

Very clearly, at least to me, your OCed firearm combined with the presence of your dog is what prompts the assumption that you're a LEO, and that your dog is a LEO dog. Leave one of those elements home and the interaction (if there was one) would most likely change.

I envy you - you get to have all sorts of conversations with people! Regardless of how few or how many involve OC, by your demeanor you're no doubt making a positive impression regarding those who open carry. :cool:

I agree, it's the combination of the two. Maybe also the way I dress. Always a tucked in shirt with a collar. I don't even own a t shirt. I decided 5 years ago to just open carry instead of changing the way I dress. Cooler weather I'm concealed with a jacket.

One other thing I do is to make eye contact with everyone I can. If you look at me you will find that I am looking at you. I think that's kind of rare these days and people miss it, maybe. While it might make some people uncomfortable, it seems to make people at least also acknowledge my presence. Once a hello, or how ya doin' is said, it opens up the conversation. I do enjoy talking to people, doesn't even have to be about dogs or firearms. After 5 years of open carry, if I talk to someone for 15 minutes and they don't mention my firearm, I consider that a success.

Ironically, one of my neighbors who also has a GSD, carries concealed but is wanting to open carry. So he is kind of doing a bad job of concealing and wanting people to notice his gun. Nobody notices and nobody comments, and I keep telling him people don't even comment on a fully expose gun. Nobody even sees the bottom two inches of his holster peeking out from his shirt. I OCed into the grocery store, bank, Subway, Yamaha dealership, ACE hardware, and a greenhouse on Friday. Not one word about a firearm and I don't think most even noticed. I consider that a success! I open carry a Sig 226 in an OWB holster, if you don't see it you're either blind or not paying attention. I'm trying to be a good ambassador for the cause. Small town, rural Northwoods community probably makes it easier than some other places. We are a tourist community with lots of people from Milwaukee and Chicago. A few of my nicest conversations have been with people from Chicago! I say I'm 1000:4 good to bad, meaning I've had a LOT of good conversations about firearms, and four negative ones.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... A few of my nicest conversations have been with people from Chicago! I say I'm 1000:4 good to bad, meaning I've had a LOT of good conversations about firearms, and four negative ones.
Today at the NRA Annual Meeting (which was stupendous, btw) an OCDO member from KY and I ran into 4 young fellows (not that I'm old, you understand!) from Wisconsin, 2 of whom were OCing. Great conversation ensued.

They said that in their liberal neck-of-the-woods, hardly anyone OCed, and that it was considered 'impolite' or somesuch. Happily, they were not dissuaded from OCing regardless.