• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Identification KRS law ?

Zenaku007

Mike wrote:

And I am speaking of the general principle of good faith, not what is spelled out in one particular decision.

In general, if I think what I am doing is lawful, and can reasonably articulate it as so, I am covered. I might make myself seem like a totally ignorant twit in spelling out my reasoning, but I am still covered.

Ok, explain this: if it is not required by law to have identification on you in the state of sky, and you, as a LEO, know this, before I go any further, how long have you been on the force? I ask that because a couple of friends of mine were stopped tonight, just as a casual conversation, and the cop requested ID from them. My male friend didn't have his ID, and the cop sat there and said "in the state of KY, it is required to have some form of identity on you." I happen to overhear that and said, "excuse me, but no it isn't. I have the laws on my phone to prove it." He looked at me in a condescending tone and said, "son, I've been on the force for 35 years, and it has ALWAYS been a law. Now, can I see your ID?" "I looked back at him, asked him, "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" "You are free to go." I looked back at him and said, "well, in that case, by law, I'm not required to show you ID, you have a nice night." And walked off.

solus

dear new poster...welcome, to the forum, however, you have responded to an 8 year olde thread...

great story w/good outcome...

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm wanting to know if there is a KRS that requires a Kentucky resident to obtain and have on their person, some form of government issued identification at all times when out in public.

I would especially like to hear from any KY police officers on this subject.

I know of no state that mandates the carriage of a hard-copy ID of any sort.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Look harder and longer until you find it. Then and only then come back and post the result(s). :p

For interested readers, the relevant US Supreme Court (SCOTUS) case seems to be Kolender vs Lawson. In this case, California law required a detainee to provide satisfactory identity documentation to a questioning police officer or face penalty. SCOTUS ruled the California statute too vague, giving the police officer too much latitude to issue a summons or arrest. What satisfies the requirement? A utility bill? What if the cop decided well prior to the encounter that he would only accept a state-issued identity document, but the person only had a utility bill on him? You see the problem. So, SCOTUS shot down the California statute.

But, here is the crux of the issue. I have seen at least one state statute (mid-West?) that gets around Kolender by requiring a detainee to provide to a requesting cop a drivers license or state issued ID card if he has it on him at the time.