• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about Open Carry?

MKEgal

MyWifeSaidYes said:
In Ohio, open carry requires no special permit or license. If you can legally possess the gun, you can open carry the gun.
But beware the "gun free" school zones. :(
I think that's the biggest reason to get a carry license if your state offers one.

wrenching89

Welcome to OCDO wrenching89

Best to not disclose you email address - suggest editing, deleting it. PMs provide you with a means for private conversation.

Thank you for the correction didn't realize till you said something how that could have turned out. Do you have any advise on OC without CHL and vehicle transition.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you for the correction didn't realize till you said something how that could have turned out. Do you have any advise on OC without CHL and vehicle transition.

Outside of studying your state laws, the greatest education in the shortest time is often found in attending local meet n' greets - personal conversation (face time) is vastly superior when interacting with those that have been there and done that.

Vehicle transition is something we are not faced with in VA. I would simply say be discrete and CYA.

MyWifeSaidYes

Vehicle transition is a pain. No loaded guns in a car without a CHL.

You must unload the gun AND unload the magazine(s). Speedloaders for revolvers also must be unloaded.

The gun should be stored in a bag, box or case. Ammo CAN be kept in the same case.

There is a bill currently headed back to the Ohio Senate to 'fix' the definition of 'loaded' in Ohio. Fingers crossed!

wrenching89

Vehicle transition is a pain. No loaded guns in a car without a CHL.

You must unload the gun AND unload the magazine(s). Speedloaders for revolvers also must be unloaded.

The gun should be stored in a bag, box or case. Ammo CAN be kept in the same case.

There is a bill currently headed back to the Ohio Senate to 'fix' the definition of 'loaded' in Ohio. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advise. Would love for that bill to pass. Mixed feelings on paying (CHL) for safety and being able to load my .380 quicker when Im out doing my business. I will say that I am for the 12 hour instruction of how to handle a firearm for those who need it, but if I have to pay for my families safety and my own, when its a god given right in this fine country we call The United States Of America, I would hire a body guard.

MyWifeSaidYes

I understand the sentiment, but you only have to pay for the class once (and re-certifications, IF we can't get rid of it).

The bodyguard may want a regular paycheck. :cool:

MyWifeSaidYes

In Ohio?

1) Groundhogs

2) Coyotes

3) People who start an attack on me or my family, and from whom I cannot or do not have to retreat, and whom I fear may kill me or cause me severe bodily harm.

All 3 are always in season in Ohio.

wrenching89

Has anyone had any encounters with Elyria PD negative or positive. And is there any other person in lorain county that has made the decision to OC.:question:

wrenching89

"ras"

The question is that without CHL, when transporting a firearm it must be stowed in a case in trunk unloaded, all ammo out of magazine out of magazine correct. But once I arrive at the grocery store I must be completely out of the vehicle before I can begin to load the magazine and firearm correct. So what if someone sees me loading my firearm and calls the local PD. If they request to see my ID at that time am I required to present it and can they legally detain me, or charge me with anything such as brandishing?

Magickallife

just try not to let anyone see you loading it up, lol. DO NOT GO INTO KROGER WITH it. unless u have a ccw (CHL) it is a class D liquor esablishment

MyWifeSaidYes

wrenching89 said:
So what if someone sees me loading my firearm and calls the local PD.

Oh,well.

I have had a few odd stares when standing at my tailgate, loading a mag or two, picking up my handgun and firmly inserting a magazine before holstering.

I'm doing a legal activity. If it bothers them, that's too bad.

If they request to see my ID at that time am I required to present it

If police are present "at that time" you had best not be holding the gun, but you can happily load magazines to your hearts content. As your gun should still be stored in your car, and you are out of your car, they can ask for ID, but you don't have to give.

...and can they legally detain me,

IF they have RAS, yes.

...or charge me with anything such as brandishing?

I believe 'brandishing' is not a crime in Ohio. The uninformed police will try to threaten you with Disorderly Conduct and other such nonsense.

MyWifeSaidYes

Magickallife said:
just try not to let anyone see you loading it up, lol. DO NOT GO INTO KROGER WITH it. unless u have a ccw (CHL) it is a class D liquor esablishment

Only when they are serving alcohol, such as during a wine tasting.

Otherwise, open carry is legal in a Kroger store with no CPZ signs.

Magickallife

So long as they are not doing wine testing the little gun signs they got saying "you MAY be breaking law if you enter here" blah blah blah is only a scare tactic? for when they are actually doing the tastings???

Cop told me its illegal all the time whether people are drinking or not.... kroger doesnt ave no gun signs they have you may e breaking the law with a gun if you enter here signs

MyWifeSaidYes

First, cops are allowed to lie. Do not rely on legal information from a LEO.

Second, the law says you can't have a gun in a room where alcohol is being served (without a CHL).

So yes, you can go into a Kroger's legally, then, while you are shopping, they could start a wine tasting, putting you in violation and you might not realize it.

You carries your gun and you takes your chances!

Magickallife

Second, the law says you can't have a gun in a room where alcohol is being served (without a CHL).

So yes, you can go into a Kroger's legally, then, while you are shopping, they could start a wine tasting, putting you in violation and you might not realize it.

scary stuff really, best to have the license when going into a kroger open carrying lol

Noel Avenelle

A better question: If you're in a restaurant, and the table next to you is drinking alcohol, does this then apply?