• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So permits are "Shall Issue" Correct?

Mr. GUNderson

Basicly stating that anyone who can purchase a handgun legaly, can carry one with permit? And for that matter, the sheriff would HAVE to issue a permit regardless of past convictions/charges so long as none are felonies correct? Looked thru SB93 and couldn't get a clear answer to any of the above questions there. Any help would be great as I'm sure I'm not the only one either posting/ghosting here who has the same question in mind. Thanks, and I'll also be posting info as I find it, now i'm back on the hunt!

Teej

Basically, but you'll be mailing form to dept. Of justice in madtown, not visiting the local constabulary.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Basicly stating that anyone who can purchase a handgun legaly, can carry one with permit? And for that matter, the sheriff would HAVE to issue a permit regardless of past convictions/charges so long as none are felonies correct? Looked thru SB93 and couldn't get a clear answer to any of the above questions there. Any help would be great as I'm sure I'm not the only one either posting/ghosting here who has the same question in mind. Thanks, and I'll also be posting info as I find it, now i'm back on the hunt!

Yes, shall issue. Department of Justice in Madison, the local LEO's have nothing to do with it. As long as you provide proof of adequate training and pass the same background check you passed when you bought you firearm, they have 45 days after they receive the application to approve or deny.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
From the NRA summary:
Wisconsin residents who are 21 years-old or older and who are not prohibited firearms
possessors under state or federal law, or prohibited from possessing firearms as a
condition of court-ordered release, are eligible to obtain a concealed weapons license.
Applications will be available from the Department of Justice (DOJ) by mail upon
request or via the Internet.

mrjam2jab

Yes, shall issue. Department of Justice in Madison, the local LEO's have nothing to do with it. As long as you provide proof of adequate training and pass the same background check you passed when you bought you firearm, they have 45 days after they receive the application to approve or deny.

Where is 45 days coming from? I see 21 days...

(9) Processing of application. (a) Upon receiving an application submitted under sub. (7), the department shall conduct a background check.
(b) Within 21 days after receiving a complete application under sub. (7), the department shall do one of the following:
1. Issue the license and promptly send the licensee his or her license document by 1st class mail.
2. Deny the application, but only if sub. (3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the applicant. If the department denies the application, the department shall inform the applicant in writing, stating the reason and factual basis for the denial.

paul@paul-fisher.com

and is that written somewhere?

Page 19 at the bottom and the top of page 20:

Notwithstanding section 175.60 (9) (b) of the statutes,
as created by this act, beginning on the effective date
of this subsection and ending on the first day of the 5th
month beginning after the effective date of this subsection,
the department of justice shall, as soon as practicable and without delay, but no longer than 45 days, after
receiving a complete application under section 175.60
(7) of the statutes, as created by this act, for a license to
carry a concealed weapon, do one of the following:
(a) Issue the license and promptly send the licensee
his or her license document by 1st class mail.
(b) Deny the application, but only if section 175.60
(3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of the statutes, as created
by this act, applies to the applicant. If the department
denies the application, the department shall inform the
applicant in writing, stating the reason and factual basis
for the denial.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/enrolled/sb93.pdf

It would be nice if people could read.

deadlifter

Yeah, I figured it wasnt gun specific, but I never took a back ground check. The only one of my guns I bought from a store was a Savage .22 plinker.

So I guess I will need to have a specific background check done eh? Or just buy a new handgun lol!

edit: I meant get a specific background check not on a gun, but on me so I can get the permit. Or buy a new gun so I have the background check done already when I send in my hunters safety slip and $50

Last edited:

Mr. GUNderson

Hmmm

Very good input guys, and thanks again btw. Just this part really confuses me tho. Anyone care to elaborate? It seems the word "Charged" is used quite a bit, now am I reading this correctly, or does this mean if one is even charged with a "Serious crime", one is ineligible for a permit. Or what do you guys think bout that? Maybe i'm looking too far into the wording?

SECTION 10. 48.685 (2) (bb) of the statutes is amended to read:
48.685 (2) (bb) If information obtained under par. (am) or (b) 1. indicates a
charge of a serious crime
, but does not completely and clearly indicate the final
disposition of the charge, the department, county department, agency contracted
with under s. 48.651 (2), child welfare agency, school board, or entity shall make
every reasonable effort to contact the clerk of courts to determine the final disposition
of the charge. If a background information form under sub. (6) (a) or (am) indicates
a charge or a conviction of a serious crime, but information obtained under par. (am)
or (b) 1. does not indicate such a charge or conviction, the department, county
2011 − 2012 Legislature − 5 − LRB−2007/1
SENATE BILL 93 SECTION 10
department, agency contracted with under s. 48.651 (2), child welfare agency, school
board, or entity shall make every reasonable effort to contact the clerk of courts to
obtain a copy of the criminal complaint and the final disposition of the complaint.
If information obtained under par. (am) or (b) 1., a background information form
under sub. (6) (a) or (am), or any other information indicates a conviction of a
violation of s. 940.19 (1), 940.195, 940.20, 941.30, 942.08, 947.01 (1), or 947.013
obtained not more than 5 years before the date on which that information was
obtained, the department, county department, agency contracted with under s.
48.651 (2), child welfare agency, school board, or entity shall make every reasonable
effort to contact the clerk of courts to obtain a copy of the criminal complaint and
judgment of conviction relating to that violation.
SECTION 11. 50.065 (2) (bb) of the statutes is amended to read:
50.065 (2) (bb) If information obtained under par. (am) or (b) indicates a charge
of a serious crime
, but does not completely and clearly indicate the final disposition
of the charge, the department or entity shall make every reasonable effort to contact
the clerk of courts to determine the final disposition of the charge. If a background
information form under sub. (6) (a) or (am), or any disclosure made pursuant to a
disclosure policy described under sub. (6) (am), indicates a charge or a conviction of
a serious crime, but information obtained under par. (am) or (b) does not indicate
such a charge or conviction, the department or entity shall make every reasonable
effort to contact the clerk of courts to obtain a copy of the criminal complaint and the
final disposition of the complaint. If information obtained under par. (am) or (b), a
background information form under sub. (6) (a) or (am), any disclosure made
pursuant to a disclosure policy described under sub. (6) (am), or any other
information indicates a conviction of a violation of s. 940.19 (1), 940.195, 940.20,
2011 − 2012 Legislature − 6 − LRB−2007/1
SENATE BILL 93 SECTION 11
941.30, 942.08, 947.01 (1), or 947.013 obtained not more than 5 years before the date
on which that information was obtained, the department or entity shall make every
reasonable effort to contact the clerk of courts to obtain a copy of the criminal
complaint and judgment of conviction relating to that violation.

Last edited:

Mlutz

Yeah, I figured it wasnt gun specific, but I never took a back ground check. The only one of my guns I bought from a store was a Savage .22 plinker.

So I guess I will need to have a specific background check done eh? Or just buy a new handgun lol!

Wow... Really?

ksks

The handgun issue is irrelevant.

You will get a background check when you apply for the license.

hardballer

The background check is on you, not your guns.