• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Financially-strapped Nevada city declared disaster

vegaspassat

WOW I didn't know that 66% of the city's budget was for "public safety". Sounds pretty obvious to me where the cuts need to be made :/

NAVYBLUE

How does that percentage compare with other cities?

Cities with population similar to North Las Vegas that spend 70% of budget on Public Safety that includes:

Police
Fire
EMS
911 Call Center
Judicial Courts
Jail
Sheriff dept

Lexington, KY
Aurora, CO
Rochester, NY

All (3) are in severe financial state or near bankruptcy and unionized.

Found this info in under (5) minutes so I know there are more. My degree is in Economics and I am retired and I spend way TOO much time reading financial news. My former home state (PA) capitol(Harrisburg) is close to declaring bankruptcy. Of course we know which political party controlled it and most of the cities that are underwater with union public safety workers. I was in the union in my PA job because it was mandatory. Don't get me going. It would not be pretty.

NAVYBLUE

Last edited: