• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tonights (01-26-12) Militia and Police Committee Meeting

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not much to tell really, all bills went our way unanimously.
The Anti's were a little miffed that I put a GoPro camera on their side. They always sit so a post blocks them from me.:lol:

[video=vimeo;35730602]http://vimeo.com/35730602[/video]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
From the VCDL Alert:

1. Good night for gun owners!

It was a good night for gun owners! Freedom won, tyranny lost.

Tonight the House Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 met with the following results:

BILLS THAT PASSED OUT OF SUBCOMMITTEE: HB 20, Delegate Wilt, protects the right of citizens to carry and transport firearms during a declared emergency (VCDL Strongly Supports)

HB 22, Delegate Cole, requires localities to try to sell guns they are in possession of instead of just destroying them (VCDL Strongly Supports)

HB 26, Delegate Cole, provides a $25 civil fine for failure to produce a CHP if demanded by a law enforcement officer (VCDL Strongly Supports)

HB 375, Delegate Pogge, allows local government employees to be able to store their guns in their personal vehicles while at work (VCDL Strongly Supports)

HB 940, Delegate Lingamfelter, repeals Virginia's One Handgun a Month law (VCDL Strongly Supports)

BILLS THAT WERE KILLED BY THE SUBCOMMITTEE:

HB 364, Delegate McClellan, perennial "gun show loophole" bill (VCDL Strongly Opposes)

HB 458, Delegate BaCote, allows localities to ban guns in libraries (VCDL Strongly Opposes)

TFred

I was able to get off work early today and drive down for this meeting.

I have to admit that I felt a little bit sorry for Delegate BaCote as she made her annual plea to allow localities to ban guns from public libraries. She delivered an earnest speech, tugging at all the heart-strings she could think of.

She struck me as someone who sincerely desires for there to be no gun violence, no violence or crime of any kind in our public libraries, around our children and families. Who doesn't want that? She probably thinks "we" are all evil and cruel beyond comprehension.

As the chair of the committee paused to give the delegates a chance to ask her questions, she was met with silence. I so very much wanted to ask her, as politely, but as sincerely as I possibly could, "Delegate, none of us wants crime or violence in our libraries, or anywhere else around our children. But please tell me, how does your bill stop a criminal from bringing it to us while we are there?"

Of course the answer is "absolutely nothing," but they are blind. What has caused this blindness, I cannot say. I sure wish we could figure it out and develop the cure.

I've said this before, and I'm going to keep saying it (although most likely in different ways, until I finally stumble upon that magic sound-bite slogan that will stick):

The state should allow legal gun carry in every single place that it is unwilling or unable to establish and maintain a 100% secure perimeter with full screens for weapons. Any place a criminal can sneak a gun, we should be able to carry a gun.​

TFred

Felix

What's Delegate BaCote's motivation to specifically target libraries for additional restrictions? Have there been documented gun-related incidents inside of Virginia libraries? And if so, was she (or a constituent) personally involved in the incident(s)?

I'm just curious about her desire to ban guns in libraries to the apparent exclusion of other similar public gathering locations. I haven't read the bill but from the online summaries, the bill seemed quite narrow in scope.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's Delegate BaCote's motivation to specifically target libraries for additional restrictions? Have there been documented gun-related incidents inside of Virginia libraries? And if so, was she (or a constituent) personally involved in the incident(s)?

I'm just curious about her desire to ban guns in libraries to the apparent exclusion of other similar public gathering locations. I haven't read the bill but from the online summaries, the bill seemed quite narrow in scope.

No one really knows Felix.
She brings this bill up every year and it gets shot down every year and it's always been a mystery why she is so passionate about it.
There have been no incidents that anyone has been able to find and she has never explained it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No one really knows Felix.
She brings this bill up every year and it gets shot down every year and it's always been a mystery why she is so passionate about it.
There have been no incidents that anyone has been able to find and she has never explained it.

Whether narrow minded or misguided passion, it is a singular campaign that has but one effect.......it wastes everyone's time.

TFred

As she read from her prepared remarks, I believe I remember some reference to the idea that the children's reading programs are similar in nature to schools, and since we ban schools, why don't we also ban libraries? That correlation is not inherently illogical, but of course, the logical solution is to not ban schools... not to ban libraries!

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As she read from her prepared remarks, I believe I remember some reference to the idea that the children's reading programs are similar in nature to schools, and since we ban schools, why don't we also ban libraries? That correlation is not inherently illogical, but of course, the logical solution is to not ban schools... not to ban libraries!

TFred

Sounds almost like she is suggesting that the freedom to use the 1st Amendment trumps the 2nd Amendment.

We all want our children to be safe and well educated. Her way creates an atmosphere conducive to neither.

TFred

Amusing

The NRA really doesn't much look anywhere else besides what they come up with. This is their little blurb description of HB 26:

House Bill 26, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), would allow a court to waive a $25 dollar fine upon presentation of the permit to the court, if a person fails to display his concealed handgun permit when requested by a law enforcement officer.

Of course, this is just the coincidental part of the bill, the primary purpose being to distinguish for the first time, a difference between carrying concealed without having been granted a permit, and carrying concealed without having said permit on your person. The waiving of the fine is almost meaningless, but their summary makes it sound like that's the only important change.

:)

TFred

VApatriot

TFred

Well, lets just take the argument that libraries and schools should be treated the same way and run with it. People have been regularly carrying in libraries for years and not a single bad thing has come from that (the same can't be said of gun-free schools); so why shouldn't we treat schools the same way that we treat libraries, and allow carry there too?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This shooting occurred at one of the Lynchburg Public Libraries down on Memorial Avenue back in 2009. This shooting occurred about 50 feet of EC Glass High School property.

http://www2.newsadvance.com/news/20...8bUiN099u2t-9mQ&shorturl=http://bit.ly/fHgP3z

For reference here's an overhead view of the library with relation to the school. The shooting occurred on the Lakeside Drive side where Lakeside meets Memorial by the baseball fields.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jones...ar=Memorial+Ave,+Lynchburg,+Virginia&t=h&z=17

Last edited:

G0Z

Plaxico Burress?!?

Delegate BaCote mentions a firearm falling out of a holster and accidentally discharging; striking a patron in the leg, OR HEAD, or any other part of the body...

I love that this incident is still the call to arms (so to speak) for legislators seeking to impose firearm limitations. I believe some of you can attest to Senator Northam employing the EXACT same incidental defense, slightly more appropriately though completely off the mark, for opposition to conceal carry in ABC-on locations.

As you may recall, Plaxico was carrying illegally(w/o a valid permit issued by the state), in a Night club, in NEW YORK CITY. I might add that he was admittedly carrying a "drink" at the time. The accidental discharge occurred as a result of him carrying unsecured and depressing the trigger unintentionally; thereby shooting himself in the thigh.

Delegate BaCote's argument poses some misconceptions I find offensive. The most egregious of which: legislating against our civil liberties somehow enhances safety, and Plaxico Burress can read.

~G0Z

Old Virginia Joe

Peter Nap--I do believe my new GOP delegate, Rick Morris, was appointed to the Militia committee you refer to here. Did he say or do anything that you noticed at this meeting which you found pro or con as to his support of 2A? Thanks.

TFred

Peter Nap--I do believe my new GOP delegate, Rick Morris, was appointed to the Militia committee you refer to here. Did he say or do anything that you noticed at this meeting which you found pro or con as to his support of 2A? Thanks.
The title of this thread is slightly incomplete. This was actually a meeting of Subcommittee #1, of which Morris is not a member.

On another note, I just saw that HB 458, BaCote's Library bill, is back on the list of bills referred to Sub #1. Some sort of error?

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, it is, and it already was. The bill received no action once last Thursday, so why is it back on the docket to be heard again?

TFred

Now I understand your question.

The entire 6 hour marathon session of this sub-committee on this past Wednesday evening was found to be in violation of the rules - don't ask me which one 'cause I don't know yet.

Bottom line is that all of the bills heard that night will be reheard again and new votes caste.
http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=4410625&FILTER=