• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to LEO's

user

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the text of the letter I wrote, referenced in a recent thread. Feel free to copy & paste into your word processor, reformat, and print. Just a suggestion, keep a copy in the car with your registration certificate. Make sure you've got the name and phone number of an attorney whom you trust. Also make sure you read, understand, and agree with what it says before you start handing it out to cops, willy-nilly. That's especially true of the part that says, "I know you may arrest me" - my view is that you're better off spending one or two nights in jail than twenty years in the penitentiary, but that's just my opinion.

To Law Enforcement Officers:

I have been instructed by my attorney not to discuss the facts of any case with anyone other than my attorney unless and until I am given the opportunity to consult with and be advised by my attorney, and to have my attorney present for any statement to be given or interrogation to be conducted: I shall not answer any questions other than for identification. This applies regardless of the nature or duration of the detention or arrest. I do not wish to evade or interfere with any legitimate investigation, nor does my refusal to answer represent any disrespect for you or your office.

My attorney has also instructed me never to consent to a warrantless search of my person or property, and has instructed me to tell you that there will be absolutely no waiver of the right to see and be served with a warrant in proper form prior to any such search.

My attorney has warned me, and I understand that, you may determine that this is a situation in which you feel you need to make an arrest; I understand that you may make such an arrest regardless of anything I may tell you. I have further been instructed to submit to your authority fully in the event you do elect to make an arrest. My submission, however, is for the purpose of avoiding unnecessary confrontation, and is neither a waiver of, or done with prejudice to, my rights under applicable civil and criminal laws.

I am represented by the attorney named below, and that am the client of this attorney for all issues related to the detention, search and seizure of me and my property. I ask that you contact my attorney promptly upon taking me into custody, before any search of my property, and before making any attempt to question me about the facts of any case. Unless you feel you have probable cause to place me into custody at this time, I respectfully request that you advise me that I am free to leave right now.

My name is: ______________________________________________________

I reside at: ________________________________________________________

My attorney’s name is: ______________________________________________

My Attorney’s telephone number is: ___________________________________

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That is great Dan, thanks!

If anyone needs the contact information of a good attorney, PM me.:rolleyes:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Wait!!?? You're an attorney??

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for another great resourse. Just a small editing note: you left off the word "I" in the first sentence of the last paragraph- ""that -I- am the client" ....
stay safe.

45acpForMe

The letter is great. A way to make it greater is if User would allow us to send a self addressed stamped envelope and he would print one, fill out his information, and sign it.

That way when a LEO see's the letter it has signatures from the attorney and the client already.

I am tempted to print it out and put User's info on it but want to see if he would go that extra mile before doing so. :)

Also since User is far away I may want a local Attorney of User's caliber (hard to find I know). :)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The letter is great. A way to make it greater is if User would allow us to send a self addressed stamped envelope and he would print one, fill out his information, and sign it.

That way when a LEO see's the letter it has signatures from the attorney and the client already.

I am tempted to print it out and put User's info on it but want to see if he would go that extra mile before doing so. :)

Also since User is far away I may want a local Attorney of User's caliber (hard to find I know). :)

Right. A robosigned form letter.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So what does it take to retain a lawyer for said circumstances?

Just money. Put some into a lawyer's business on retainer and there you go. Should cost nothing in many cases..until you use the lawyer.

But you don't need a lawyer until after arraignment most of the time. To each his own.