• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ID Scanning law

Oramac

Help me out here. I swear I saw in the MO law a spot where it's illegal for businesses to scan your ID when you purchase alcohol/tobacco/etc. Anyone know the exact RSMO number for the law? Or at least where I can start looking so I don't have to wade through hundreds of thousands of pages of law?

Thanks!!

OC for ME

Refuse and see what happens. Is there a liquor store that does not scan? As to you specific question, I've never witnessed such a thing. A age check at the counter, but no scanning. The business can require as a condition of the sale and you can refuse and go elsewhere.

I'll do a little research and see what I can find. No promises though.

Primus

Ive seen it in MA also, so it may not just be a state specific thing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I thought it an interesting question and used my huge search-foo at the Missouri statutes page, but with no joy, thinking perhaps that "scan" is not the legalistic term used in the hypothetical statute.

Try "alcohol" or "age verification".

Easier yet, contact the state agency that is responsible for issuing licenses to alcohol vendors. They're most likely the ones that made any rule that's in place.

Which brings up the last point - if it's a regulation rather than a statute, it will be found in your state's administrative code.

stay safe.

wimwag

Refuse and see what happens. Is there a liquor store that does not scan? As to you specific question, I've never witnessed such a thing. A age check at the counter, but no scanning. The business can require as a condition of the sale and you can refuse and go elsewhere.

Yes there are still plenty. I live across from one and I've only been carded twice. Once when I first moved there and again when I met the owner's brother who co-owns the store. There's also a drive thru across town where they look it over and hand it back and it never leaves your sight.

wimwag

Yes there are still plenty. I live across from one and I've only been carded twice. Once when I first moved there and again when I met the owner's brother who co-owns the store. There's also a drive thru across town where they look it over and hand it back and it never leaves your sight.

I'm going to refuse tonight at Walmart. I will tell you what happens. I'm out of whiskey anyways and my neighbors only have the expensive ones left. Drunk is drunk no matter what the price lol

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I've had some luck refusing to show identity, and calling for a manager. This is in VA, though, so you results may vary.

So far, every manager took one look at me and realized I was old enough. And, used his managers "code" to bypass the computer restriction and make the sale.

JEStucker

I've never had an ID scanned... usually the cashier looks at me, the picture, and the birthday, without me even taking it out of my wallet or my wallet leaving my hands.

Oramac

Very interesting, everyone.

So far, this has only happened to me when I try to buy at a convenience store. Chains like Schnucks, Dierbergs, Walmart, etc. have not scanned my ID.

I swear I saw a part in the statutes that forbade scanning. Might have been in RSMO 571 now that I think about it. Part of the CCW records debacle.

Redbaron007

Very interesting, everyone.

So far, this has only happened to me when I try to buy at a convenience store. Chains like Schnucks, Dierbergs, Walmart, etc. have not scanned my ID.

I swear I saw a part in the statutes that forbade scanning. Might have been in RSMO 571 now that I think about it. Part of the CCW records debacle.

That's was my immediate thoughts too.

OC for ME

I'm all tapped out. Can't find anywhere, in RSMo where a liquor store is mandated by the state to scan your DL (ID) to purchase booze. There is a restriction on the state that prohibits the disclosure of data, RSMo 571.500.

Tell the cashier no and see what happens. If it is a condition of the sale, then leave the stuff on the counter and walk out. Let us know who does this and we can boycott them.

Maverick9

I find your answer difficult to parse. You specific question never witnessed 'such a thing'. IOW, one that does not scan? Then you say 'age check but no scanning. Anyway, I don't drink so I don't care, except that I think people should drink at home and not in the car. :)

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I find your answer difficult to parse. You specific question never witnessed 'such a thing'. IOW, one that does not scan? Then you say 'age check but no scanning. Anyway, I don't drink so I don't care, except that I think people should drink at home and not in the car. :)

Age check = cashier looking at the ID which shows birth date. Scanning it includes running it through the computer and letting the machine pick up the date like sliding your CC.

Not sure anyone particularly cares about age restrictions, more what is done with the data if it is scanned vs looked at.

Defrock

Ahh, so "scanning" does mean some sort of database access. Is armed status included or precluded from public access?

The computers don't access a centralized database. They are just reading the DOB information on the card. It's stored as a QR code (or something like it) which is machine readable.