• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrier Bullied by Protesters at Seattle May Day 2015

RogueReflections

Below are links to 2 videos I shot at May Day, Seattle, 2015. They include a man, identified as Shayne Butts, attending May Day in Seattle. He was legally carrying a slung rifle and peacefully addressing members of the crowd and media when he was called racist by one of the protesters. He was not accused of being a racist because he used racist words or suggested racist things. He was called a racist because he was carrying a firearm. I even heard the dumb woman in the video call his GUN racist. Having witnessed this incident, I can tell you, Butts acted with nothing but respect and conducted himself in a way that would make any free person proud.

Video 1: Initial reactions to Shayne while he talked with crowd members and answered questions from the media:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_t5r0qznI

Video 2: The bullying continues into the march:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8M347Ivi_I

-Rogue Reflections -
www.roguereflectionsphotography.com

dinocoor

Woah, the protesters who called him racist, it may be possible that some may be looters ? Last thing the looters probably want is arm civilians.

Last edited:

Alpine

Hey Rogue were you OCing during this or during the May Day events? Couldn't see from the video.

rapgood

When I was growing up, I was taught that the "good guys" smile, and the "bad guys" wear black and hide their faces.

badguy.jpg

Hmmmm....
swat_team1.jpg

HPmatt

Looks like the gun had lugs for a bayonet - bring it next time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

Folks so scared of guns they can't stay away from a person with a gun. And go so far as to get in his face. Incredible restraint.

sandy

No Bayonets in City of Seattle

Looks like the gun had lugs for a bayonet - bring it next time....

Unfortunately, Seattle has restrictive knife laws that prohibit carrying of any fixed bladed knife, no matter how small, explicitly including bayonets. Plus folding knives above a small size are prohibited. I think a bayonet could give the police the excuse they are looking for, so he's smart to leave it at home. Even carrying it in a pouch could get him in trouble. This is a city issue only, though. State-wide, carrying bayonets is fine.

-- Sandy (WA)

(Citation: SMC 12A.14.010)

Rusty Young Man

Below are links to 2 videos I shot at May Day, Seattle, 2015. They include a man, identified as Shayne Butts, attending May Day in Seattle. He was legally carrying a slung rifle and peacefully addressing members of the crowd and media when he was called racist by one of the protesters. He was not accused of being a racist because he used racist words or suggested racist things. He was called a racist because he was carrying a firearm. I even heard the dumb woman in the video call his GUN racist. Having witnessed this incident, I can tell you, Butts acted with nothing but respect and conducted himself in a way that would make any free person proud.

Video 1: Initial reactions to Shayne while he talked with crowd members and answered questions from the media:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_t5r0qznI

Video 2: The bullying continues into the march:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8M347Ivi_I

-Rogue Reflections -
www.roguereflectionsphotography.com

Wow. A GUN being racist.:shocker: Guess the term "black rifle" is pretty racist too.:confused:
Come to think of it, there's a lot of racist objects out there: black powder, white rice, brown rice, black beans, yellow chili peppers, Red Hot Chili Peppers...:rolleyes:

Props to the LGOCing man for remaining calm and collected, and especially for not being a hypocrite about Human Rights such as Freedom of Speech, unlike the incredibly rude and aggressive bunch that surrounded him.

Woah, the protesters who called him racist, it may be possible that some may be looters ? Last thing the looters probably want is arm civilians.

Their reasoning (if we use the term very loosely:rolleyes:) is that a black person would be shot on sight if they LAWFULLY carried a slung long arm. *searches for thread detailing the non-event and relatively non-publicized Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) march organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club.*

Mark@NM

Wow. A GUN being racist.:shocker: Guess the term "black rifle" is pretty racist too.:confused:
Come to think of it, there's a lot of racist objects out there: black powder, white rice, brown rice, black beans, yellow chili peppers, Red Hot Chili Peppers...:rolleyes:

Props to the LGOCing man for remaining calm and collected, and especially for not being a hypocrite about Human Rights such as Freedom of Speech, unlike the incredibly rude and aggressive bunch that surrounded him.

Now the next step is to carry the giant Gadsden Flag :lol:

Their reasoning (if we use the term very loosely:rolleyes:) is that a black person would be shot on sight if they LAWFULLY carried a slung long arm. *searches for thread detailing the non-event and relatively non-publicized Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) march organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club.*

http://www.pbs.org/hueypnewton/actions/actions_capitolmarch.html

There's the Black Panthers carrying "assault rifle." Quick! Shoot them with the camera!

Difdi

Folks so scared of guns they can't stay away from a person with a gun. And go so far as to get in his face. Incredible restraint.

That always gets me too. They like to claim that gun owners are so violently dangerous they can't be tolerated in society...and then they go right up to a guy with one and antagonize him. If he were even a tenth as dangerous to public safety as they claim, none of them would survive.

mikeyb

The crowd would have dropped by 3/4 had the "I wanna be a photojournalist" idiots weren't all hopped up on the fantasy of wartime imagery. "I'm not here to protest. I'm here to take pictures of blood and violence. For science." :banghead: