• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop tells guy to drop his book bag - then searches it -- no good

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just like the criminal "3 strikes and you're out" laws, after a certain number of reversals a judge should be removed from the bench.

I think that the number should be: one

here, he cost this guy thousands and thousands of dollars ... if they want immunity from civil money suits there should be something in return (right now ~ its nothing).

rightwinglibertarian

K.W., a minor, appeals the trial court's denial of his motion to suppress the
evidence discovered in his book bag during a warrantless search conducted by Deputy
Sheriff Garner........The State contends that Appellant gave nonverbal consent by stepping
back from the bag, looking around and away from the deputies, and giving what was
described as "kind of a shrug."

Well thats horse manure. Of course a kid is gonna be scared of a cop who demands he do something. He's not likely been trained to ignore unlawful commands, nor was videoing. he was essentially a victim. More so because he would not have been carrying and would believe the putrid stench of propaganda that claims it is 'unlawful' to do so. NEVER consent to a search without demanding probable cause or a warrant. The result was a minor was assaulted (illegally 'arrested') probably kidnapped (taken to a police station against his will) and subjected to further harassment.

Qualified immunity, the way it stands now is a curse and a scourge on this country and freedom in general.

WalkingWolf

If a law is broken there should be no quarter, no matter how the person is dressed, or state employed. The judge erred and should be at the very least censured, the officers should be charged with a crime. Until officers are held criminally responsible these abuses will continue whether the courts correct them, or not. The honor needs to be returned to the job of being a police officer. I have no doubt they knew the search was illegal, they just decided to stretch the truth. I have no doubt the judge knew the search was illegal, IMO he should be removed from the bench.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with all.
The deputies determined that the exposure complaint was unwarranted. However, at the request of the property manager, Deputy Garner issued a trespass warning to Appellant. Garner then told Appellant that he must leave the property.
The complaint was unwarranted. Again, the complaint was unwarranted.

Property manager, in that the complaint was unwarranted I will not issue a trespassing warning. Property manager, I have told the young man verbally to stay off the property. Property manager, my report will indicate that the complaint was unwarranted. Property manager, I must inform you that making unwarranted complaints is a crime. Property manager, do you understand me?

F350

I think that the number should be: one

here, he cost this guy thousands and thousands of dollars ... if they want immunity from civil money suits there should be something in return (right now ~ its nothing).

Anyone can make A mistake, but a pattern say, 3 in 5 years should the limit; under this standard the entire 9th circus would be removed.

Whitney

Filing Complaints

Every state has a method to initiate a complaint against sitting judges.

How Judges Are Disciplined for Misconduct (Florida)

Simple complaint form.

Remember, these folks are voted to public office.

AN AID TO UNDERSTANDING CANON 7
Prepared by the Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee and published by
the Office of the State Courts Administrator Tallahassee, Florida

Guidelines to Assist Judicial Candidates in Campaign and Political Activities

INTRODUCTION

History of the Code of Judicial Conduct Related to Canon 7

Florida’s Code of Judicial Conduct establishes standards for ethical behavior of judges.

However, it is not intended as an exhaustive guide for all conduct of judges. Judges should also be governed in their judicial and personal conduct by general ethical standards.

The preamble, summarizing the role of the American judiciary, states:
Our legal system is based on the principle that an independent, fair and competent judiciary will interpret and apply the laws that govern us. The role of the judiciary is central to American concepts of justice and the rule of law. Intrinsic to all sections of this Code are the precepts that judges, individually and collectively, must respect and honor the judicial office as a public trust and strive to enhance and maintain confidence in our legal system. The judge is an arbiter of facts and law for the resolution of disputes and a highly visible symbol of government under the rule of law.

~Whitney

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Every state has a method to initiate a complaint against sitting judges.

It occurs to me that you might be onto something.

If the word spread far and wide, lots of pro-liberty people could be mobilized to use such channel against judges and court opinions.

Remember well that the First Amendment guarantees your right to complain. It is the last clause of the First Amendment--the right to petition for redress of grievance. What is a grievance? A complaint. Same thing. A complaint about a judge is a grievance. Asking for the judge, decision, or case law to be set right is a petition for redress of grievance.

Bury them under petitions for redress of grievance. If nothing else, they will conclude people are paying attention.

countryclubjoe