• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bashing, or ...?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
And yet, I am quite ready to admit that there is a method which might be described as 'the one method of philosophy'. But it is not characteristic of philosophy alone; it is, rather, the one method of all rational discussion, and therefore the natural sciences as well as of philosophy. The method I have in mind is that of stating one's problem clearly and of examining its various proposed solutions critically.

I have italicized the words 'rational discussion' and 'critically' in order to stress that I equate the rational attitude and the critical attitude. The point is that, whenever we propose a solution to a problem, we ought to try as hard as we can to overthrow our solution, rather than defend it. Few of us, unfortunately, practice this precept; but other people, fortunately, will supply the criticism for us if we fail to supply it ourselves. Yet criticism will be fruitful only if we state our problem as clearly as we can and put our solution in a sufficiently definite form -- a form in which it can be critically discussed.
"If language is not correct then what is said is not what is meant. If what is said is not what is meant, then what ought to be done remains undone. If this remains undone, then morals and acts deteriorate, justice will go astray. If justice goes astray, the people will stand about in helpless confusion. Hence, there must be no arbitrariness in what is said. This matters above everything. --CONFUCIUS
Each abstraction or euphemism [or dysphemism, "bashing"] distorts an unpleasant fact of life, makes impossible things seem possible, unmanageable ones seem manageable. The sum of them shields our statesmen's [leaders'] axioms against common sense.

phred

Oh, I think I understood what he (Doug) said (similar to Protias). However if one takes "what Confucius says" at face value...

If language is not correct then what is said is not what is meant. If what is said is not what is meant, then what ought to be done remains undone. If this remains undone, then morals and acts deteriorate, justice will go astray. If justice goes astray, the people will stand about in helpless confusion. Hence, there must be no arbitrariness in what is said. This matters above everything. --CONFUCIUS

...then communicating in words and phrases that are not understandable by the average person leads to a dead end as far as continuing either the thought or the action.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Oh, I think I understood what he (Doug) said (similar to Protias). However if one takes "what Confucius says" at face value......then communicating in words and phrases that are not understandable by the average person leads to a dead end as far as continuing either the thought or the action.
Yep, by the average person. Remember that we are all equal - average - or we are not. Confucius was not average, nor was Karl Popper, nor is Angelo Codevilla. I guaranGoddamntee that I am not average, and I am making no effort to communicate at the average mean person.

Spartacus

Banned
Yep, by the average person. Remember that we are all equal - average - or we are not. Confucius was not average, nor was Karl Popper, nor is Angelo Codevilla. I guaranGoddamntee that I am not average, and I am making no effort to communicate at the average mean person.

The average mean person or the average kind person?

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

phred

I guaranGoddamntee that I am not average, and I am making no effort to communicate at the average mean person.

I figured that out within a day of joining OCDO. Maybe thou art the JC of OCDO, speaking in tongues and parables. Some 2000 years from now, someone might just understand what you were saying. Then again, maybe not.

"mean" as in "average" (redundant)
or
"mean" as in inferior, of humble origin, stingy, vicious, malicious (bashing)
or
"mean" as in skillful, expert: As in " I shoot a mean 230 gr FMJ":lol: (why, thank you!)

Just checking, for sometimes I do not know what you "mean".

oak1971

Ignore is a wonderful feature.

Are you sure you want to add Doug Huffman to your ignore list?

Yes.

Last edited:

oak1971

If you are siding with Spartacus against Doug, you would be picking the wrong side. Even though I sometimes do not understand some of the things Doug says, most things Spartacus say are either not helpful or mean spirited. At least Doug is usually right.

It was a rare confluence of agreement with Spartacus on the ego issue. I don't believe Doug is an anarchist, but he is overly enamored with himself.

paul@paul-fisher.com

It was a rare confluence of agreement with Spartacus on the ego issue. I don't believe Doug is an anarchist, but he is overly enamored with himself.

OK but you said you were going to ignore Doug. Suit yourself but if you need an accurate answer to a law, with proper citations, you won't someone else quite as helpful as Doug.

As for ego, you must not of read many of Spartacus's posts then.

Last edited:

oak1971

OK but you said you were going to ignore Doug. Suit yourself but if you need an accurate answer to a law, with proper citations, you won't someone else quite as helpful as Doug.

As for ego, you must not of read many of Spartacus's posts then.

They both have giant ego's and I have them both on ignore. But sometimes morbid curiosity gets the better of me.

Spartacus

Banned
They both have giant ego's and I have them both on ignore. But sometimes morbid curiosity gets the better of me.

You are my Huckleberry. lol

Actually I'm so very humble you wouldn't believe it. I do however have strong opinions as you know, and only to those who don't know me personally it may be mistaken for ego.

I would never however start a thread like Doug did here, having no other useful purpose on OCDO than to strut my stuff, it being painfully obvious to anyone that the stuff strutted is of no value whatsoever except to self-stroke the strutee.